SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
V_dub97
V_dub97 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy HELP ASAP! 2002 Saturn LW300 rev limit at 4k now sluggish

Ive got a 2002 Saturn LW300 V6 3.0L... a couple days ago while driving the car i tried to get up to speed quick to get out of a driveway and the car rev limited at 4,000 rpms.... normally never did that.... transmission checked out fine and had an engine error code for a misfire in cylinder 1.... just had plugs and coils replaced and nothing changed... took the car out and after driving it for a few days its gotten worse.... the car began "chugging" then died while i was at a red light... i had a hard time getting it going because it kept dying then when i got it going it still chugged but low rpmed... like 2k and took forever to get up to 30mph... now that its sat for a few days it idles fine but once in drive and starts driving its slugs out again.... i noticed some small metallic flakes in the exhaust.... maybe clogged catalytic converter??? please help ASAP!
V_dub97 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: HELP ASAP! 2002 Saturn LW300 rev limit at 4k now sluggish

A clogged catcon is possible with high mileage, restrict exhaust flow to limit rpm's as well as kill the engine. Another way for an engine to randomly die has been failure of the crank position sensor. A good muffler shop should be able to test for exhaust restriction.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
V_dub97

kinda hard to get it to a reapir shop... nearest one is 13 miles awayand i dont wanna risk wrecking any of the internals.... and if it was CPS would it still start and idle fine???? i mean it sits and idles just fine and i can rev it up fine in neutral... it just gets kinda loud up front... kinda clueless on saturns more of VW person but hey its a car that was gettin me from A-B till all of this... any way i can test this kinda stuff out at home?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Dino11
Dino11 is on a distinguished road

Hey V Dub97,

I also have a 2002 Saturn LW300 with the 3.0 L engine. Mine is doing the same thing, except mine does not stall. It just will not go over 4000rpm, even in park. I've noticed that the shift point of the transmission is just about 4000 rpm as well...
Goes like a bat until you reach 4000 rpm. I noticed this when the cruise control is on and going up a hill. When it downshifts to climb the car is acting totally weird because it can't get the rpm's it needs to maintain speed. Please Help!
Dino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
V_dub97

hey dino my best advice to you is too stop driving the car or else its gonna end up like mine and not driveable at ALL! i kept pushing mine and now its worse than when i started not sure if i caused more damage or not but my best advice limp it to a service center and have them check it out.... i should have done that myself but im ignorant and a DIY (do it yourself) kinda guy.... have a professionall check out your cats because the 6 has the upper and lower cat.... and have them check out the CPS crankshaft position sensor... like fdryer said could be one or the other!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
V_dub97

UPDATE: 9/15/11

sooo as the problem provoked me to move the car into the garage and check it out i went out to start the car today and nothing!! damn thing wont start.... it turns like it wants to start but isnt firing.... checked the plugs... they are black and were saturated with fuel... dryed them off threw em back in and still nothing! tried putting the old coils back in... nothing... new coils in still nothing... so jacked it up cutoff the pipe right at the cat... had a friend try to start while i was under it and hand my hand over the cat opening... had pressure coming out.... checked the fuel rail's up front had a nice stream of gas come out... noticed on the dash that my gas gauge was at E!... wait a minute i put a half a tank in this thing the night it got really bad.... no fuel leaks or anything where the hell is my $40 worth of gas or is the gauge bad.... this car is really pissing me off please somebody give me some elightenment on this damn thing before it heads to the scrapyard or get parted out......