SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 02:52 PM   #1
kev99sl
kev99sl is on a distinguished road

Default Radio faceplate/bulbs

Anyone know how to, or if it's posible to, get behind the stock cassette stereo faceplate ('99 SL) to change the bulbs? One is burnt out and it's driving me crazy.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2002, 05:53 PM   #2
dieseljack
Advanced Member
dieseljack is on a distinguished road

If I'm not mistaken, the backlighting on that LCD display is integrated with the radio circuitry and is not readily servicable. You might want to contact an authorized regional service center (the dealer will send it there anyway), and find out what the options are. The centers are usually listed in a dealer's bulletin binder.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:44 PM   #3
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

In taking apart my car this weekend to get to the PCB's that house the LED's, I can tell you that it is quite possible to get to all of the PCB's that house the LED's and Lamps, and would take some desodering and resodering to get it replaced.

But becareful, remember that this stuff is electro-static sensitive, so if you have no previous experience you can easily ruin it. And I know I did on two components I removed, and I have quite a bit of experience on this stuff.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:59 PM   #4
kev99sl

Sorry guys, I didn't make myself very clear in my original post. The LED display is fine: it's just the bulbs that illuminate the preset buttons that I'm looking to replace. One of them burned out, and the right half of my presets are now dark. Don't know if that changes anything, but that's what I'm looking to fix.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:02 PM   #5
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

I know what you meant. They are on the exact same PCB. You can get to that, you just have to desoder the old ones and soder in the new ones. They are sodered directly to the PCB.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:52 AM   #6
radioouman
radioouman is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It's not a big deal to replace bulbs in the radio. I had a stock AM/FM cassette radio in my 95 SW2 (same radio for years 95-99), and one of the bulbs went. I just replaced it with another bulb, and it wasn't a big deal at all.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:00 PM   #7
kev99sl

Quote:
Originally posted by radioouman
It's not a big deal to replace bulbs in the radio. I had a stock AM/FM cassette radio in my 95 SW2 (same radio for years 95-99), and one of the bulbs went. I just replaced it with another bulb, and it wasn't a big deal at all.
Did it entail soldering and re-soldering? If it does, I'll probably just live with it.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:14 PM   #8
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Idea

Another feasible way is to replace the whole radio unit with 1) Better OEM radio (w/CD+Equalizers) 2) Better Aftermarket 3) Better or Stock Used Radio unit. 4) Like you said, just live with it.
Closed Thread