SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default 01 SC2: New Exhaust options?

Both my daughters currently drive '01 SC2s. And both have rusty, falling apart Exhaust that have been half=@$$ patched up by POs.

So, I am looking around for the best option to get them both fixed up with a decent new exhaust. Since we are now in IL, pretty much all parts cars are just as rusty, so I am looking for new parts.

I am pretty confused about all this early/late VIN and Cali/NY emissions. And the Rock Auto offerings are a bit inconssistent.

They offer a Walker 'total kit' #2878833 for $199 for an '02 SC2, but don't show it for an '01. ...But the image says it will fit a '99-'02 DOHC of any body type. ?? go figure.

Any thoughts on where to find the best deal on two sets of exhaust?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-11-08_22-20-50.jpg (71.9 KB, 34 views)
Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2014, 01:12 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 01 SC2: New Exhaust options?

Open the hood and get the emissions certification type, FED or some flavor of CA. Then check drivers door for build date. From there you can proceed to try and figure out what might fit first try. Where did you find that catalog page? never mind, I found it.

Last edited by OldNuc; 11-09-2014 at 01:18 AM.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Here is the VIN# for the first (Blue) car. (both of them are 2001 SC2s)

1G8ZY14721Z251543
Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Without access to a site that takes a VIN and pulls up all the RPO codes that is not going to solve the exhaust issue. There are several that might fit and if it is 1 of the several levels of CA emissions then the chances are extremely slim.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

I will have one of the cars in the driveway tonight. So I can get whatever sticker info available shortly.

The other car in up in Wisconsin until Thanksgiving week.

I was hoping to get the parts in advance so i can knock out the work all in one day.

I really have no reason to suspect either car was a CA car. As far as I know, both have been in Chicagoland their entire lives.

Where is the sticker with the emisions info on it?
Mark
Old 11-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Right side of the long sticker on the radiator support. If it is FED then need the build date off of the drivers door sticker or look on the RPO sticker for T9B, NF2, NC1, Those RPO codes are for the mid year redesign and the fed or CA emissions level. If it is CA then get certification level of the front long label. Walker should have parts that fit unless it is CA.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

OK, I am crossing my fingers that both cars are just 'regular' versions to simplify things.

Just out of curiocity, what would prevent me from just putting the normal non-CA exhaust on a CA car at this point? I mean, the manifolds are the same, right? Any idea what the real difference is? And since I am replacing the whole system?

I am going to try and re-use both CATs if I can. If they are too far gone,...

I thought somebody here found a good universal CAT sold by summit that worked for these cars. Anyone?
Mark
Old 11-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The Walker direct fit works and is probably the same price as anything Summit sells. The reason you can not fit different exhausts is the manifolds are different and the difference is not documented. In most cases you can cut the pipe below the flange, rotate as required and re-weld it to make it fit. Eastern makes the CA compliant units and possibly some FED units that are complete head pipe and cat units.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Any take on quality of Eastern vs Walker?

I know the tail and mufflers are trashed on both cars. For sure!

The blue car is in Wisconsin, and I remember the flex section of the downpipe looked like it was comming apart last time I was under the car. So Maybe I should just plan on new cats. I hate to throw $350 at both cars right now, so I was hoping I could salvage the cats.

You would not believe what the ACA has done to our family finances this year. Just had to replace an entire HVAC system too... Just a little more icing on this 2014 cr@p sanwich.
Mark
Old 11-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Walker is higher quality but probably not significantly. The cats can be recycled unless you have to actually pass emissions tail pipe testing then it just depends.

There is nothing like the SJWs running amok with wealth transfer.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #11
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Here is the rad support sticker for the black car. (01 SC2).

Can anyone tell me which emissions version this is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (135.6 KB, 22 views)
Mark
Old 11-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Says it is CA compliant. What is to the left and right of what you posted? Did you look on the RPO sticker on the spare tire well.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The WALKER 53323 front pipe should fit if you have the T9B RPO code and WALKER 53325 if you DO NOT have the T9B RPO code. Must check the RPO sticker for a T9B code.

For the 01 model year DOHC SC2 there are 2 different pipes and which one fits is determined by the presence or absence of the T9B RPO code.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:20 AM   #14
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Here are pics of the trunk 'spare tire' sticker as well as pics of the whole radiator support sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 11.jpg (78.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg photo1 2.jpg (120.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo1 3.jpg (138.5 KB, 9 views)
Mark
Old 11-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Looks like you have a car built before about June of the model year, verify by checking the sticker on drivers door or door frame for build date. If it all matches then the walker 53325 pipe should be the correct one.

NF7 EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, NLEV

Last edited by OldNuc; 11-15-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #16
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

here are the pics of the stickers I can find on the black SC2.

Can anyone explain which sticker and code tells me whether this is a CA or Federal emissions?

Once I decode this car, I need to figure out the other '01 that my daughter has off at scool. That one I will only have at home for a few days, so I need to order the right parts to get it done quickly.

these pics are for the black SC2 I have in the driveway, the same car I posted the rad support and trunk stickers above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black4.JPG (165.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg black5.JPG (161.5 KB, 8 views)
Mark
Old 11-23-2014, 01:49 AM   #17
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
Here are pics of the trunk 'spare tire' sticker as well as pics of the whole radiator support sticker.
OK, so I know the (black) car is an 'early' car with a Z117363 build #.

What I am not sure about is if its is a CA or Federal emissions?

Both the 53323 and 53325 downpipes say they are for Fed emissions cars. Were are the downpipe #s for an early car with Ca emissions. (if thats what I need).
Mark
Old 11-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #18
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Looks like you have a car built before about June of the model year, verify by checking the sticker on drivers door or door frame for build date. If it all matches then the walker 53325 pipe should be the correct one.

NF7 EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, NLEV
OldNuc, Are you saying this car is a Fed Emissions car? The sticker on the rad support says "..Conforms to U.S. EPA NLEV regs and California regs...". ??

So was there two versions for '01?

The Walker catalog says the 53325 was for Fed Emissions, Early cars?? And I cannot find a walker downpipe listing for a Ca Emissions car.

To make it even more confusing... On Rock Auto.. Eastern Cat has a downpipe & Cat combo listed for Ca Emissions (#50384 for "up to 6/00, and #50336 for "after 6/00)

This (black) car has a build date of 6/00, so (assuming it IS a CA emissions), whick one should fit??

I guess I need to call Walker and Eastern Cat in the morning.

This is driving me nuts!!

I even thought about just ordering an OBX header/downpipe combo to totally dump the stock exhaust, but I cannot seem to find anyone with them in stock anymore..
Mark
Old 11-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is no actual fed or ca emissions for that model year, one size fits all and the difference is the presence or absence of the RPO code I asked about. The 6/00 is only approximate but the T9B is after 6/00 and the 6/00 build is NOT definitive check the RPO. Your car is a NF7 EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, NLEV emissions, NOT CA.

You have 2 choices, early or late and the way you tell is by the presence or absence of the T9B RPO code on the sticker. The pix of the RPO sticker does not show the T9B so you get the early pipe. Eastern is selling both a pipe and CAT as a unit and the CAT must be CARB compliant for the PRCa compliance. If Eastern says FED only that means they will not ship to California even though it will fit.

I told you this was not simple ...

Last edited by OldNuc; 11-23-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

OBX, direct from the horses mouth, bottom item fits. http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=952

This is the copy of the OBX/Thermal Research cat back system. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Racing-S...4c9d77&vxp=mtr

Add the walker direct fit CAT and you can have a SS exhaust system that will fit. That is exactly what I have except my cat back is Thermal Research.

Last edited by OldNuc; 11-23-2014 at 10:57 PM.