SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
gman41
gman41 is on a distinguished road

Default 94 sc1 sohc oil in coolant bottle, no coolant in crankcase? cracked head?

just discovered yesterday. no milkshake yet, not driving it. Is there a updated head or no? Any chance gm would repair under recall? Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!
gman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 94 sc1 sohc oil in coolant bottle, no coolant in crankcase? cracked head?

If it is actually oil then it is new head time and for a 94 you might want to consider just replacing the engine. This is the source for good rebuilt heads. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REBUI...item3f0c397958

You should also replace the timing set at the same time. If the engine is burning excessive amounts of oil then consider a complete transplant.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Re: 94 sc1 sohc oil in coolant bottle, no coolant in crankcase? cracked head?

If oil usage wasn't bad before, heads are surprisingly cheap from J&C Enterprises (ebay). Also need gasket kit, head bolts, timing set, thermostat, hoses, water pump...

OK, maybe used engine is the smart move.

The key to minimizing SOHC crack risk is to make sure the coolant is always full and always slightly better than 50/50 coolant to water ration (1 gallon anitfreeze and the rest water).
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
gman41

Thanks! The woman i purchased this sc1 from was the original owner and kept excellent records and maintained the car well. Since i've owned it i have changed the oil on time and it's never burned much oil, just a little. So since the coolant didn't mix with oil in the crankcase i think i'll just replace the head with a reman, you're right they seem to be pretty reasonable on ebay. I'll pull the valve cover tomorrow and get the casting # and get one off ebay. Thanks again for the help.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You need the 91-94 head I linked above, Unless you have a engine wit independent direct into each port fuel injection.

There are some tricks to a head swap so be sure to get all the correct information assembled from here.

manualman listed the extra parts you will need and RockAuto is going to be the lowest cost. And, there is the issue of cleaning up the cooling system that has to be addressed. As a minimum you should also replace the following: water pump, thermostat, top and lower radiator hoses, Hose from reservoir to block, hose from manifold to heater inlet. You can do the initial clean before removing the head and save yourself much work.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
gman41

Manualman or anyone else have a link to removal/installation of the91-94 1.9 L sohc cylinder head?. I should have the complete head shipped to me next week at some point. Thankyou all for the excellent advice!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Go read this thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168496 This is for a 96 engine but the big parts are the same. Intake removal will be different as it relates to the fuel lines. The pictures are outstanding.

And pictures, courtesy of Canyon: 99 SOHC https://picasaweb.google.com/1159762...M-sgqDt-K26-gE
Old 10-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Is it possibly just the head gasket? Or is there no oil passages? How does the oil get up to the top?
92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is 1 oil passage and it usually leaks on top of the alternator also. Whatever the problem is the head is coming off.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
gman41

I agree. Since the head has to come off anyway might as well replace it with a rebuilt head that has had the full treatment, new valve seals will help a bit with the oil consumption and @ $230 ish can't beat that. I must be around 165-175k?, the odometer stopped @ 105k. Thanks Again!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
manualman

1995 SL

Old Nuc is the pro, I just happened to have done it recently and used the J&C reman head.

Most of the work revolves around taking off the timing chain. Spend some time searching/reading some old posts there.

Issues I can recall from my flaky memory:
- Crank bolt is a real bear. High torque impact gun recommended.
- Timing covers hangs up on the two guide pins that corrode. Paitence, wiggling and PB Blaster.
- RTV sealant is a PIA. OldNuc had some alternative suggestions for the timing cover.
- You can buy a preformed valve cover gasket instead of making your own from RTV. The Felpro gasket kit (recommended) does NOT include it. Buy separately.
- I recommend genuine OEM timing stuff if you can still get it. Felpro for head bolts and gaskets. Head bolts are torque to yield, do NOT re-use.
- IIRC a 5.5mm socket works on the star drive intake and exhaust manifold studs. Handy!
- Using 2 exhaust mani studs to guide the timing chain back on helps a LOT.
- Using the old crank timing sprocket pushed through the oil pump gears from the outside until the cover slides on the new sprocket will save you a LOT of swear words and RTV mess.
- 1/4" drive and 10mm socket is your friend. Be prepared to remove the top engine mount AND its mounting bracket and then move the engine up and down a lot with a jack to get at bolts. Small hands help.
- Take the hood off. Your scalp will thank you.
- You CAN leave the intake in (unbolted, of course) through this whole process. You just need lots of extension sizes and contortion skills.
- Look hard at the idler pulley, serp tensioner, serp belt and water pump while at this. You're into it all already....

My back aches remembering it all...
Old 10-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Original engine rebuild as documented by this site @ 177K due to high oil consumption. Mpgs back to 40+. Car runs smooth, like a top. Now at 220k. Successful rebuild !

1996 SL2

If you donít have an impact gun, nor the desire to spend money on one, Here is one of the tricks to getting the crank bolt off: Just turn the key and let the starter do the job: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=97

But if I had to do this all over again I would spend the extra time to remove the transmission to block brace and half-moon flywheel cover at the bottom. The down pipe has to be unbolted anyway. Then a screwdriver can be used to jamb the flywheel for removal and re-installation of the crank bolt. If you donít do it this way, re-installation of the bolt forces you to try and jam the crank wheel in order to re-torque back to 159? ft-lbs. Some people risk in breaking the timing cover while trying to jam the wheels spokes against the cover, and others like me damage the wheel itself where the grooves are that contact the belt (re-file down the damage).

Here is a pic and description of the best way to pop the timing cover loose. Flat head screwdrivers just plain suck trying to get it loose as then donít really provide any leverage: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=10
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
gman41

I work at a golf course so I have a shop with a compressor and I have invested in tools for years. Thank god for impact wrenches!..What a life saver/extender!. I ordered the head from j&c cyl head exchange off ebay. I'm going to start removing the head and doing the oil cleanup on monday. Does Anyone know where to get the gasket type valve cover gasket or is the standard tube of silocon that comes with head set the better choice. Also what company makes a good quality timing chain set?. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
manualman

1995 SL

Rock Auto had teh preformed valve cover gasket at good price (and the head bolts and upper engine gasket kit).

I used OEM for timing components. I think I heard others here recommend Cloyes for aftermarket, but verify that with others first.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Original engine rebuild as documented by this site @ 177K due to high oil consumption. Mpgs back to 40+. Car runs smooth, like a top. Now at 220k. Successful rebuild !

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman41 View Post
I ordered the head from j&c cyl head exchange off ebay. I'm going to start removing the head and doing the oil cleanup on monday. Does Anyone know where to get the gasket type valve cover gasket or is the standard tube of silocon that comes with head set the better choice. Also what company makes a good quality timing chain set?. Thanks!
I got my head from the same place and everything worked out great. I was glad I called them because there are different variants of heads that will work. The tech on the line had me answer some questions, like is the egr mount flat or sloped, as well as a few others important details. After I hung up I thought that validating the order with a tech on the phone was extremely important. If you have not done this you might want to consider it.

The only place you will use the silicon is for the mounting timing chain cover (no gasket), and a corn kernel sized dab at the junction between the timing cover and head when mounting the cam cover. The block to cylinder is gasket only with the proper fel-pro gasket. The proper torquing technique in sequence is very important for the head to block step.
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
I work at a golf course so I have a shop with a compressor and I have invested in tools for years. Thank god for impact wrenches!..What a life saver/extender!. I ordered the head from j&c cyl head exchange off ebay. I'm going to start removing the head and doing the oil cleanup on monday. Does Anyone know where to get the gasket type valve cover gasket or is the standard tube of silocon that comes with head set the better choice. Also what company makes a good quality timing chain set?. Thanks!
Cloyes for the timing set and RockAuto will be your lowest cost parts source. The preformed SOHC gasket is FEL-PRO Part # VS50701R PermaDry. There are basically only 2 different types of SOHC heads so if you order the early one 91-94 you have the correct head. There are serious errors i the head torquing procedures in the various books so before you bolt down the new head get the correct numbers in hand. They are similar but not identical to the DOHC procedure that I have posted previously.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #17
gman41

Thankyou!.Unfortunatly I don't have rockauto in northern cali that i know of. I have autozone,oreiley/kragen, napa auto parts and some pep boys and other misc parts house companys. I'll try allied auto parts for the cloyes timing chain set and fel-pro valve cover gasket and headgasket kit as well. Thanks again oldnuc and all others for your advise. All I really need now is the correct timing chain/gear installaion info and there seems to a few diff head torque sequence. ft lb 22 1st, 33 2nd and 90 degrees last. Is this correct for the 1.9 sohc. Maybe I should get a service manual!

intake
8 4 1 5 9
7 3 2 6 10 Correct?
exaust
Old 10-07-2011, 02:42 AM   #18
Darkomen
Darkomen is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
2000 SL2

Quote:
Thankyou!.Unfortunatly I don't have rockauto in northern cali that i know of.

RockAuto.com Rock auto is a website, best selection/prices for our s-series. Hope that helps! All you have to do is scroll down to "Saturn" then choose your model year and model/engine type and you'll get the full catalog of proper parts.
1993 SL2 5 speed (MP3) DOHC, 2020 watts total, 2 10 in Rockfords, 1800w Visonik, 220w Dual head, 4x Dual 300w 3 way 6.5" speakers, custom mp3 hookup, Spectre 6"cone filter and crappy Autozone fogs.
Darkomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Thankyou!.Unfortunatly I don't have rockauto in northern cali that i know of. I have autozone,oreiley/kragen, napa auto parts and some pep boys and other misc parts house companys. I'll try allied auto parts for the cloyes timing chain set and fel-pro valve cover gasket and headgasket kit as well. Thanks again oldnuc and all others for your advise. All I really need now is the correct timing chain/gear installaion info and there seems to a few diff head torque sequence. ft lb 22 1st, 33 2nd and 90 degrees last. Is this correct for the 1.9 sohc. Maybe I should get a service manual!

intake
8 4 1 5 9
7 3 2 6 10 Correct?
exaust
Use this procedure for the had, nothing else.
SOHC head torquing procedure

Initial dry bolt torque in sequence to 48ft-lb following the torquing pattern in stages to 20ft-lb, 30ft-lb, and final 48ft-lb. This establishes the proper clamp load on the gasket.

This is followed by removal in about 1/4 turn in sequence until loose.

Bolts washers and bolt heads are oiled with clean engine oil and reinstalled finger tight.

Torqued in sequence to 22 ft-lb then 33ft-lb and then additional 90 degree turn.

The 90 degrees is important so do not guess at the 90 degrees. You can eyeball it and use a 1/2 drive breaker bar and make the 90 degree turn in a single smooth motion.

If this is not followed the new gasket will end up leaking.

Torquing sequence
intake side
8-4-1-5-9
7-3-2-6-10
exhaust side

RockAuto is mail order, http://www.rockauto.com/ this is the place to use and they do sell the cheap junk version of every part also. This is why brands have been mentioned.

Shop manuals are quite expensive but you can get the same thing by subscribing to ALLData for an on line copy. http://www.alldatadiy.com/index.html This is the highest quality, lowest cost manual. Haynes is full of errors.

Use this before starting the engine the first time after the chain/head replacement.

To prime the oil system on a Saturn engine after a complete overhaul, head replacement or long term storage perform the following steps.

-Fill crankcase with 4 1/2 quarts of fresh new 5w-30 oil if this is the initial fill following a rebuild otherwise use 4 quarts of oil. Use a decent quality name brand oil.

-Fill a squirt pistol type oiler with the same oil.

-Squirt oil into the square port on the right side of the filter base do this several times until you can not get more oil to stay in it. This will take 4 to 6 ounces of oil.

-Fill the new oil filter a bit more than 1/2 full and screw it in place.

-Remove the PCM B fuse from the UHJB (under hood fuse box). This will prevent the fuel pump and injectors from operating while priming.

-Remove spark plugs.

-Place 1 squirt of 5w-30 oil in each cylinder.

-Turn key to crank and crank engine with the starter until the oil pressure light goes out. This may take several 20-30 second runs of the starter.

-Release key when the oil pressure light goes off.

-Turn key to crank and crank engine again until oil pressure light goes out. Repeat 2 times.

-Replace spark plugs.

-Replace PCM B fuse.

-Prime fuel system by turning key to on but not crank and wait until pump stops, turn key to off, wait 30 seconds. Repeat 2 times.

-Start engine.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #20
gman41

Thanks oldnuc! Thats excellent info, Much appreciated!. Sorry I thought rockauto was a parts store? I've done quite a few timing belts but very few t. chains. Are there any pics of the sohc that I could be directed to of the timing chain in the correct postion before/after installation, proper chain tension ect?. Thankyou again!