saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 04-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
jwblue
jwblue is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 L300: Low engine coolant sensor turns on

Hi:

I am new to this board.

The low engine coolant sensor is lighting on on my L300 about 30 seconds after the vehicle is turned on. After driving for about 2 minutes, the light turns off and stays off.

However, when I look at the engine coolant reservoir , the coolant is only about an inch below the High line.

When I turn the engine off and exit the vehicle there seems to be the smell of hot engine coolant. I am not certain of this. I might be only noticing it since I am looking for an issue.

Do I have an issue?
jwblue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2005 L300: Low engine coolant sensor turns on

Welcome to Saturnfans!

Its recommended that coolant level checks be done when the engine is cold. Was the level checked cold or hot? What's the condition and color of coolant? Old coolant may deteriorate and cause precipitation to stick onto the float inside the coolant container, causing erratic indications. Replacing coolant at recommended intervals can ensure against contamination. If a leak in the cooling system lowers coolant level, you may have to do some troubleshooting to look for possible leaks.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
jwblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Welcome to Saturnfans!

Its recommended that coolant level checks be done when the engine is cold. Was the level checked cold or hot? What's the condition and color of coolant? Old coolant may deteriorate and cause precipitation to stick onto the float inside the coolant container, causing erratic indications. Replacing coolant at recommended intervals can ensure against contamination. If a leak in the cooling system lowers coolant level, you may have to do some troubleshooting to look for possible leaks.
The coolant was replaced in June of 2010.

It was checked when it was cold.

Is it normal for there to be the smell of hot coolant after turning off the engine?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No, there shouldn't be any coolant smell. Its one hint of a leak some place, the other is the recent low coolant level. The best and safest way to find coolant leaks use a pressurized tool; a hand pump with a pressure gauge and adapter to fit in place of the coolant cap to allow pumping up pressure on a cold engine and searching for the leak. Autozone may have one for loan and worth asking about. The other way to find possible leaks are the tell tale marks of dried coolant that resembles chalk or steam from a hot engine. It may be as simple as a loose hose clamp or worn out coolant cap.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
ss476hawk
ss476hawk is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had this same issue. It would happen and I would add some coolant and it would stop for about a month and then start happening agian. Turns out my water pump was leaking just a bit and causing the drop in fluid. Changed the pump when I changed the timing belt and no more problem!
ss476hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
jwblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss476hawk View Post
I had this same issue. It would happen and I would add some coolant and it would stop for about a month and then start happening agian. Turns out my water pump was leaking just a bit and causing the drop in fluid. Changed the pump when I changed the timing belt and no more problem!
I am not even going to bother buying coolant.

If it is loosing coolant, there must be a leak.

I just had the radiator and water pump placed last year and it still under warranty.