SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
ExplosivePerson
ExplosivePerson is on a distinguished road

Default Coolant hose change question

Hey guys, I had the oil changed today and the mechanic "recommended" i get the coolant system flush along with hose replacement. Is the hose replacement really necessary? I have 89K miles, original hoses, live in Atlanta. It is a 2001 SC1, no visible leaks or fraying even at the clamped end. I'd really prefer not spending anymore money on the car the rest of the year but with as hot as it gets not sure I want to take a chance with blowing a hose.
ExplosivePerson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Coolant hose change question

The upper and lower radiator hoses are the most likely to fail. Thy will last quite a bit longer than 90,000 miles and 8 years though. You do need to flush the coolant though if its never been done. The book claims the coolant is good for 3 to 5 years depending on where you look. Replace those 2 hoses when you replace the coolant. I think you can wait a year with minimal risk if your coolant looks clean.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
ExplosivePerson

The coolant was flushed as part of the 60k service, or was it replaced? Can't remember actually... 60K was done at the dealership. I think that was back in 2006, what would clean coolant look like vs dirty?

Also... just got a quote, for upper and lower hose and coolant it's 158 out the door, doesn't seem like a bad price.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If the coolant was done back in 2006 that is a coolant change and you can definitely wait till next year. A gallon of 100% antifreeze is abut 12.00 max and a gallon of distiled water is 1.75 at the grocery store. RockAuto has both of those hoses for $20.00 for both plus shipping. That will be about 45.00 total for parts and supplies delivered. That leaves about $110 for labor. They are figuring a bit more than an hour labor. Its not a difficult DIY job.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplosivePerson View Post
Hey guys, I had the oil changed today and the mechanic "recommended"
If you got your oil changed at one of those quick-lube places - or even the large chain places - the oil change tech with the "recommendation" was not a mechanic.

I've had some pretty dubious things recommended by those folks, including an oil change five miles after the last oil change, and a coolant flush/fill on a brand new car.
Quote:
for upper and lower hose and coolant it's 158 out the door, doesn't seem like a bad price.
You should be able to flush, fill, and replace the hoses yourself for around 1/3 to 1/4 of that amount - even if you're not mechanically inclined.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
ExplosivePerson

Not mechanically inclined nor do I have tools/ramp available as I live in an apartment complex.. and its a violation of the lease to actually work on vehicles in said complex.

Kinda figured it would be dubious hence I found this site and asked here first, it is close to the 90K service but I doubt I'll get it done 'cause I really can't afford it this year. It is a Gemini Goodyear but still a big chain lookin for upsells. If I get a nice raise at work.. we'll see but I'm not betting on that. He wasn't pushy, just put a quote at the end of the invoice which isn't a big deal. Place I priced above was very reasonable when I got nailed by the lovely GM intake gasket failure, about 75 bucks cheaper then anyone else and work is solid.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Round here they charge $90 for coolant flush. It can be done w/o ramps and you could maybe do it at a friends house.
From what I understand from my reading here, those hoses tend to last well. I know how you feel about the warm season coming up; but if the hoses look OK they probably are.

Melissa_M
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~79K
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa_M View Post
From what I understand from my reading here, those hoses tend to last well. I know how you feel about the warm season coming up; but if the hoses look OK they probably are.
+1

They aren't swollen or splitting anywhere, are they?

FWIW, I've never had a radiator hose burst on me in three decades of driving used cars, nor have I had to replace a radiator hose.

I've replaced one radiator, but that was because a truck tire went through it.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
ExplosivePerson

Thanks for the help guys, they are not frayed/splitting so I'll wait till next year to get the work done. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
paterson
paterson is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

under the lower rad hose is another smaller one that leads up to the t under the overflow tank you may want to check it ,,,eng vib can decay it
paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
MacG
MacG is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

All,

When a DYI radiator flush is done what do you do with the old coolant? I mean legally...and about that little hose to the overflow tank...It is fatory crimped to the aluminum tube one on end. How do you deal with that?

Thanks,

MacG
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The crimp is thin. You cut it with a Dremel cut off wheel being very careful to not nick the main aluminum tube.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
All,

When a DYI radiator flush is done what do you do with the old coolant? I mean legally...and about that little hose to the overflow tank...It is fatory crimped to the aluminum tube one on end. How do you deal with that?

Thanks,

MacG
Have you inquired at your local parts store? You could also check earth911.org.

Melissa_M
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~79K
Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If the old coolant is clean, no engine oil, try a big truck stop as it is recycled buy the trucking industry. Some states have recycling programs and some do not. Google for antifreeze and the name of your state and see what comes up. Many places tell you to just send it to the waste treatment facility, pour it down the drain.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #15
Carlr33
Carlr33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplosivePerson View Post
Not mechanically inclined nor do I have tools/ramp available as I live in an apartment complex.. and its a violation of the lease to actually work on vehicles in said complex.
LOL, Do it in the parking lot of an Autozone or other car parts place like I see others do.
2000 SL1
206,000 MILES
Carlr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
mr18436572
mr18436572 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlr33 View Post
LOL, Do it in the parking lot of an Autozone or other car parts place like I see others do.
I've done that before
2000 SL2 auto - 167k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 161k - sold
1997 SC2 auto - 105k - sold
2000 SC2 auto - 117k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 250k - sold
2001 SC2 5sp - 160k - sold
mr18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:10 AM   #17
The Critic
Advanced Member
The Critic is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I just replaced a blown lower radiator hose on my friend's Accord last week. The car was a '96 with 156k miles. Most of the hose failures that I've seen or heard about are usually on cars that are over 10 years old and are near 150k miles.

The hoses on your car are probably still fine, but no one knows for sure. The blown radiator hose that I replaced wasn't showing any signs of imminent failure, either. It would have easily passed a hose inspection.

I replaced the upper, lower and bypass hoses on my '96 SL2 in January. It had 121,000 miles at the time. I also replaced the thermostat at the same time. I purchased the hoses (Gates branded) and the thermostat (Stant) from RockAuto and the Prestone Dex-Cool from Walmart. Together, all of the parts cost about $70.

My hoses weren't in poor shape, but I just replaced them to be safe.
'10 Altima 3.5SR V6- 5k
'96 SL2- 150k!
'92 Previa- 99k
The Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The large diameter hose will fail first as the stress on it is greater everything else being equal. The normal service life of a radiator hose is 10 years or more and as the Saturn uses a 1 1/2 inch hose, which is small as hoses go, the 10 years is very conservative.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #19
Melissa_M
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The crimp is thin. You cut it with a Dremel cut off wheel being very careful to not nick the main aluminum tube.
and how do you re-install it? New hose clamp, I assume.

Melissa_M
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~79K
Old 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes. You can use a worm drive clamp or a constant pressure clamp like the one on the other end. The constant pressure will stay leak tight longer but is more of a pain to install.

See this thread, http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130942 post #4.