saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 05-16-2020, 12:11 AM   #1
BrandonKastning
BrandonKastning will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Question L300 / 3.0L V6 PCM/ECU Re-Learning Thread

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to start a thread regarding PCM/ECU re-learning and it's procedures.

So far in my journeys here at SaturnFans.com I have had to do several re-learn procedures to get GM passlock to either accept a new part that I have replaced.

I have had to do a re-learn with the following:

~ A different PCM/ECU (15 minute key-on) / (5 second key-off) - repeat until "SECURITY" light goes away and stays away.

~ Throttle Body (30 minute key-on) / (5 second key-off) - repeat until "SECURITY" doesn't stay solid and starts to "Blink" ?; then either continues blinking until it's key cycled. (I don't think I ever seen it go away without a key cycle).

However since replacing the Throttle Body when I disconnect the battery to do any sort of maintenance I am getting the "SECURITY" light on regardless. Or having to do the 30 minute throttle body "re-learn".

Does anybody know why my ECU won't seem to remember the throttle body when disconnecting the battery for long periods?

Sometimes when I key over the "SECURITY" light stays on and I start the engine anyways. The car remains running with "SECURITY" light and doesn't kick any DTC errors as everything seems to be running fine and smooth. Idle is still just fine; engine RPM's running great.

Does this have to do with VIN programming? And is there a specific topic to lookup in my Factory Service Manual that would go into more details regarding GM Passlock and Re-learn procedures with replaced parts?

Regarding other members here who DIY on our L-Series or L300's; what parts have you had to replace and perform a re-learn?

Did you ever have to do a VIN program for a re-learn to properly set permanently?

Thanks in advanced!
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: L300 / 3.0L V6 PCM/ECU Re-Learning Thread

Just an update:

Last night I disconnected the battery after doing some wiring. When I re-hooked everything up and fired the engine up. Absolutely zero SECURITY GM Passlock light. Absolutely zero Check Engine Light still.

Perhaps it took multiple re-learn's to finally keep it in the ECU/PCM.

If this changes I will update this thread again. If anyone has any information regarding all of this. Please do not hesitate to contribute your knowledge to this thread.

Thanks again! Love SaturnFans!
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
Old 05-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: L300 / 3.0L V6 PCM/ECU Re-Learning Thread

Only thing I can suggest, is perhaps, your problem could be happenstance. I know if I get into our Saturn and I gorilla the steering wheel as I get in... the security light will go ON. Also, if I mess around with the key too long because it won't get in the lock readily... the Security light will go ON. I don't how or why this happens, but it does and I need to be very careful getting into the Saturn so that I won't be spending the next 10 minutes timing out the Security condition with the ignition ON with the engine off to reset the Security light.

I do know this tends to happen more as the key and ignition switch ages. I plan on doing to security bypass wiring to avoid these problems. I might have it wrong by memory, but I believe if you put a 2K resistor on the orange wire to ground it will permanently disable to security check. The resistances of the key in the ignition switch is the test and by replacing with a permanent resister... Security is always happy and never security locks the vehicle.
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj 2000 LS2 View Post
Only thing I can suggest, is perhaps, your problem could be happenstance. I know if I get into our Saturn and I gorilla the steering wheel as I get in... the security light will go ON. Also, if I mess around with the key too long because it won't get in the lock readily... the Security light will go ON. I don't how or why this happens, but it does and I need to be very careful getting into the Saturn so that I won't be spending the next 10 minutes timing out the Security condition with the ignition ON with the engine off to reset the Security light.

I do know this tends to happen more as the key and ignition switch ages. I plan on doing to security bypass wiring to avoid these problems. I might have it wrong by memory, but I believe if you put a 2K resistor on the orange wire to ground it will permanently disable to security check. The resistances of the key in the ignition switch is the test and by replacing with a permanent resister... Security is always happy and never security locks the vehicle.
Rj 2000 LS2,

Thank you for sharing your experience with GM Passlock Security and it's happenstance as you state. It is very finicky and doesn't always make sense. I have had it go security lockout on me for the strangest of things.

I am glad that mine stopped triggering.

Regarding the wiring to disable the starting of your Saturn and the GM Passlock Security system; I found instructions on how to do it; *almost* cut the wire and everytime something happened and I never managed to finish or have the nut to do it.

Thankfully I never did; otherwise I do not know how the re-learning feature of GM Passlock Security would function or not-function and that could render any future repair useless or un-repairable if there is no pairing.

I also do not know how it functions. A computer for example; network adapters have MAC Addresses; these are like assigned phone numbers for network interface adapters. (Most people know this who are savvy).

I do not know if parts such as "Throttle Body", etc have encoded numbers that need to be synched to our car's VIN #. I don't understand why a re-learn process would be needed if there wasn't assigned #'s of some sort.

If disabling GM Passlock Security 100% at wire level disables all of that; and equipment encoded numbering is not a factor; then I am 100% for disabling passlock and installing a steering wheel lock.

Great discussion so far. I will see if I can find the old blog site that I downloaded that has the exact wiring schematics for disabling it by getting at the ignition switch wires under the steering wheel. (Just have to remove the whole bottom piece with 1 bolt, I think).

Is the orange wire you are referring to on the ignition switch under the steering wheel? Sounds familiar.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

BrandonKastning, review your service manual procedures in at least three areas; overall understanding of Passlock security, tamper reset, and Passlock relearn when specific parts are replaced (ignition switch, Passlock sensor, ecm, bcm).

Tamper mode requires one 10 minute session of leaving ignition on, engine off, until the security light cycles off. Cycling ignition off then on should reset Passlock to allow starting. The security light will cycle on then off during starting as it always did.

A relearn of Passlock requires three 10 minute cycles of leaving ignition on (engine off) for a total of thirty minutes. On the fourth ignition on cycle, Passlock learns a security code to allow starting. The security light will cycle on then off during starting as it always did.

When security remains on (solidly), Passlock disables itself after detecting an error during its security checks at ignition on time and self tests. You can startup and drive away with security ON (not flashing).This means Passlock will not disable injector operation - no theft deterrent. Passlock disables injectors similar to many manufacturers using EFI systems with internal programming without any need for external alarm or electronic defeat programs to disable any part of its EFI system to prevent someone from driving away. Factory programming eliminates aftermarket electronics.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
BrandonKastning, review your service manual procedures in at least three areas; overall understanding of Passlock security, tamper reset, and Passlock relearn when specific parts are replaced (ignition switch, Passlock sensor, ecm, bcm).

Tamper mode requires one 10 minute session of leaving ignition on, engine off, until the security light cycles off. Cycling ignition off then on should reset Passlock to allow starting. The security light will cycle on then off during starting as it always did.

A relearn of Passlock requires three 10 minute cycles of leaving ignition on (engine off) for a total of thirty minutes. On the fourth ignition on cycle, Passlock learns a security code to allow starting. The security light will cycle on then off during starting as it always did.

When security remains on (solidly), Passlock disables itself after detecting an error during its security checks at ignition on time and self tests. You can startup and drive away with security ON (not flashing).This means Passlock will not disable injector operation - no theft deterrent. Passlock disables injectors similar to many manufacturers using EFI systems with internal programming without any need for external alarm or electronic defeat programs to disable any part of its EFI system to prevent someone from driving away. Factory programming eliminates aftermarket electronics.
fdryer,

I looked in the Engine factory service manual and didn't see any reference to GM Passlock.

Thank you for that information!
Old 05-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Searching in the engine section won't reveal Passlock info. Passlock resides as programming in the body control module (BCM), not the engine control module (ECM). The ecm's only role is engine management, the EFI system, not security. The bcm has many functions similar to co-pilots; dividing roles between pilot and co-pilot allows each one to concentrate on specific areas to lessen the work load. The ecm (pilot) runs the engine. The bcm (co-pilot) runs everything else without concern about the engine. Other modules (third and fourth flight engineer) like the airbag and abs are responsible for their functions.

If you have a section labeled Body Electrical Diagnostics, look for Locks and Security. My manual has about 40 pages of info so yours should be similar.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:15 AM   #8
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Searching in the engine section won't reveal Passlock info. Passlock resides as programming in the body control module (BCM), not the engine control module (ECM). The ecm's only role is engine management, the EFI system, not security. The bcm has many functions similar to co-pilots; dividing roles between pilot and co-pilot allows each one to concentrate on specific areas to lessen the work load. The ecm (pilot) runs the engine. The bcm (co-pilot) runs everything else without concern about the engine. Other modules (third and fourth flight engineer) like the airbag and abs are responsible for their functions.

If you have a section labeled Body Electrical Diagnostics, look for Locks and Security. My manual has about 40 pages of info so yours should be similar.
I have a Volume I & Volume II on Body/Electrical. Both very large. I scanned their indexes. I see locking and BCM.

This is where I need to drill down. Thank you fdryer!