saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
dougalldc3000
dougalldc3000 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Master/Slave replacement issues

Hey everyone-

So my 99 SL2 5-speed had a squeaky clutch in hot weather so I replaced the master/slave cylinder. However, my dad got the master and slave separately (without the hose that carries fluid b/w the two) so we had to bleed the system. We found that in another forum that pushing the slave cylinder rod in and out bleeds the system really well (thank you to whoever said that).

Once we did that and got the car back on we were able to shift into every gear BUT reverse - and that is the gear we need to get into to pull my car out of the driveway... I've pumped the slave cylinder rod a lot to make sure all the air was out but to no avail. Fluid is good in the reservoir.

Does anyone know the problem and a solution to this? Are we at a dead end and should we get a pre-bled assembly or tow this one into a shop?

Thanks for the help
'99 SL2 5-spd DOHC 1.9L 4 cyl w/ lots of mods
'13 Dodge Dart 6-spd 1.4L MultiAir Turbo

#StrictlyAmerican
dougalldc3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Master/Slave replacement issues

Unfortunately you should get the pre-filled complete system as bleeding that is a near impossible task. Can you get into reverse with the engine off and then start the engine?
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
mattwithcats
mattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

I just replaced my squeaky clutch master/slave with one from Autozone.

Prefilled, worked fine.

Had to order it though...

If you can get the car into neutral, pushing it is an option. Make sure it's running so the brakes don't lose power, then chock the wheels...

Suggestion - if you have a college around, call the chemistry department. Ask them if they have a vacuum chamber (used for drying chemicals).
Looks like a 5 gallon can, usually made out of super thick glass.
Slide the entire clutch/slave unit in, with the fill opening above the rest. Close chamber, pump down for a couple of hours...

Nothing to lose...
2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Maximum Power 0W-30, Champion COS3600...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

Last edited by mattwithcats; 08-03-2013 at 02:46 PM.
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
dougalldc3000
dougalldc3000 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Thanks for your input guys. OldNuc, I was able to start in reverse and get out of it but not back into it. Matt, I ended up just getting another whole assembly that was pre-bled. Fortunately there was one Advance Auto Parts/Autozone close to me that had the pre-bled system in stock. I'm driving down to OBX on Tuesday morning so I needed to get this going.

It's annoying though, the first master/slave replacement that my dad and I bled seemed to be fine but just wasn't there for the final solution...

It's fixed now, shifts very smoothly into all gears, I'm happy. Thanks again guys.
'99 SL2 5-spd DOHC 1.9L 4 cyl w/ lots of mods
'13 Dodge Dart 6-spd 1.4L MultiAir Turbo

#StrictlyAmerican
dougalldc3000 is offline   Reply With Quote