saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
mkosem
Advanced Member
mkosem is on a distinguished road

Default passenger side windshield wiper doesn't work

I went to move my car this morning and when I tried to wipe my windows the passenger's side wiper didn't move. I went out and pulled the ice from it but still no go.any ideas?

--Matt
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2003, 10:57 AM   #2
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Well lemme just say this, then solve your problem...DON"T USE THE WIPERS WITH SNOW OR ICE ON THE WINDSHEILD!!!!!!!!

That being said....most likely you have just loosened the 13mm nut holding the wiper arm tight to the wiper shaft. Pop the little black cap over the nut off and tighten it down...but not too tight or you can break the whole damn thing right off. Give that a shot and most likely that is the problem. Other causes could be that the wiper transmission has come apart inside the cowl, and only the driver's side is still attached, or a problem in the wiper motor itself but that should be fine if the driver's wiper still works. We have given our service writers all 13mm wrenches so they can fix this right in the service drive and the customer won't have to wait for a 3 second repair. Good luck!!

Oh yeah...DON"T TURN ON YOUR WIPERS WITH SNOW OR ICE ON THE WINDSHEILD!!!!! Unless of course you enjoy damaging the car...then by all means use your wipers as a snowbrush/ice scraper. Beleive me I live in upstate NY, I KNOW what it's like to wanna just sit in the car and let the wipers and the rear defroster clear the glass, but it really isn't good for the wiper linkage. If this works, here's a shot of the snow in my area yesterday, after a week of 40+ temps. A lot has melted, but there is still a mess.....It's a pic of one of my Buses in its final resting place for the winter....I won't be able to get this thing out till August if I'm lucky!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000351.jpg (52.9 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-23-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
SaturnTech

I gotta do it...one more pic...my '95 Civic LX that just turned 184K yesterday....it was involved in a pretty serious accident a few weeks ago but I'm slowly putting her back together....car was totalled because both airbags blew out....over $3000 for a new set of bags from Honda....or $160 for both from Ebay! This is kind of a winter related post...it fits right? :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000357.jpg (81.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 02-23-2003, 11:01 AM   #4
mkosem
Advanced Member

ok, I tightened it down but still no go.

--Matt
Old 02-23-2003, 11:05 AM   #5
mkosem
Advanced Member

keep in mind that wiper just flops around freely now. it doesn't seem like it's attached to anything inside. I'm gonna pull the unit apart later and see if anything looks wrong.

--Matt
Old 02-23-2003, 11:05 AM   #6
SaturnTech

Does the driver's side still work like I thought you said? Can you move the passenger side wiper freely across the windsheild? And what year and model are we dealing with here? Sounds like you may have a problem with the wiper transmission.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:06 AM   #7
mkosem
Advanced Member

the driver's side wiper works perfectly. I can wipe the whole half of the windshield with the passenger side one. It's a 94 SL1.

--Matt
Old 02-23-2003, 11:13 AM   #8
SaturnTech

Ok you'll need to start pulling the cowl off to see whats goin on under it. You'll need to remove bothe wiper arms, and the black cowl cover is held on by 3 torx head screws and a few black plastic clips. You'll need to remove the antenna to get the passenger side piece off. You remove the two smaller end pieces then the large middle piece and that will give you access to the wiper transmission. Since you say the driver's side works and passenger side is still moveable by hand, I Would say a part of the linkage has come apart, which is good since you can just pop it back together without replacing the wiper transmission or pulling it outta the car. It probably came off where it attaches to the motor itself, just pop the linkage back on and it should work. You'll have to push pretty hard to get it over the ball on the end of the motor. Hope that helps!
Old 02-23-2003, 11:15 AM   #9
SaturnTech

One more thing, before you put it back together, turn the car on and cycle the wipers once until they stop completely. This will ensure the motor is timed correctly when youput it back together.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:00 PM   #10
mkosem
Advanced Member

wow, thanks dude. I really appreciate your help.

--Matt
Old 02-23-2003, 11:25 PM   #11
mkosem
Advanced Member

ok, I pulled it apart to try to fix it but there's a problem. The plastic bushing on the end of the metal piece that attaches to the strip of metal on the motor assembly is worn to the point that it won't stay on the knuckle. Is there a replacement part of some sort that I can replace that bushing with?

--Matt
Old 02-24-2003, 12:23 AM   #12
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

If that is worn out then there is not a lot to be done except replace parts. The good news is that the transmission part of the wipers is availible seperately from the motor from Saturn. The other way to go is used. My favorite plug is of course Joey

Joe Cutrone

sales@6thplanetusedparts.com
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:28 AM   #13
mkosem
Advanced Member

so I have to pull all that out of there? There's no replacement bushing or anything like that?

-Matt
Old 02-24-2003, 12:31 AM   #14
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, I go with USED as well. Those wiper arm to motor connector ASSEMBLIES are expensive. You will also discover the joy (really kidding here) of getting the one nut from the motor arm to wiper arm connector on tight and in the right position. Be careful! Some of those metal edges are sharper than they look!
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 02-24-2003, 12:45 AM   #15
mkosem
Advanced Member

hmm, it's really surprising there's no replacement part for that. the way it's designed it looks like that's meant to be a wear part and "wearing" is exactly what it had done.

--Matt
Old 02-24-2003, 08:31 AM   #16
mkosem
Advanced Member

I think I may make a custom fix.

--Matt
Old 02-24-2003, 08:28 PM   #17
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck! I really mean that. The problem you will discover is that the "ball stud" portion that the nylon "socket" fits on is WELDED to the arm. You will need to find a way to remove it and drill a hole for a bolt, OR find a PERFECT fitting nylon bushing for the other arm AND a way to secure it permanantly (whole lotta torque goin' on there) Many have tried and failed.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 02-25-2003, 12:20 AM   #18
mkosem
Advanced Member

ok, looks like I'll probably get a transmission assembly from joey. $50 isn't a bad deal.

--Matt
Old 02-25-2003, 08:54 PM   #19
mkosem
Advanced Member

I ordered a wiper tranny for $50 and joey threw in a pair of wiper arms for free

hopefully they'll come before the weekend.

--Matt
Old 02-26-2003, 10:46 PM   #20
geeminator
geeminator is on a distinguished road

Man you were lucky...A few weeks ago, I had the same thing w/my 97 SL2..I drove over to the Saturn Dealer and after 30 min. the fix action was to replace a piece in the wiper arm that "self destructs" (this was how it was expained to me by a Saturn Tech) if the wipers get iced up and prevents the wiper motor from burning up.
Closed Thread