SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
locksmith9
locksmith9 is on a distinguished road

Default Misfire P0302: Compression problem?

My '97 SC1 has a very rough idle and is throwing up a P0302 cylinder 2 misfire code. Once the engine is warm, the idle will drop to 800, which is lower than normal (idles normally around 900-950). If while idling I use electrical systems such as tapping on the brakes and turning on the rear defroster, the RPMs will temporarily drop to 700 before the engine recovers, both of which tell me I'm not getting the power I should be while in idle.

Checked so far:
Plugs and wires were changed earlier this year, but I replaced them just to be safe. Plugs are NGKs. Cylinder 2's old plug has deposits and oil fouling around it (photo attached). I checked the resistance between the coil pack terminals and they are around 7.8kohms, which according to other posters is the correct resistance. I reset the DTC code after changing the plugs and wires and drove it around - same engine light code came back and the idle problem hasn't changed. Wires are in the correct order.

I thought my next step would be to check the fuel pump and filter. I mentioned my problem to a friend who is an ex-Saturn dealership mechanic, and he said that it wouldn't be a fuel delivery system issue or else I would have seen a code for that. His opinion was that it was either a burnt/broken valve or a seized piston ring and to do a compression test.

Is his advice on the right track?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badplug.jpg (120.5 KB, 18 views)
locksmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Misfire P0302: Compression problem?

Yes, do a compression test. You can buy a tester from Harbor Freight for under 10.00 which will work just fine.

Welcome to the Forums!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote