saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 12-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
SL1_sleeper670
SL1_sleeper670 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default performance chip?

http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Saturn/SL/
ok so i kno my car is slow as **** n yes im saving up for the DOHC sawp but in the mean time i thougth id look fer something to add a little more power.
mainly cuz i had a GA n i cant stand how slow my SL1 is when i accel.

i came across the above link and i was wondering if anyone has used it before and if its even worth it? or if anyone knew of another comp. chip that works?

anything helps. thanx.
SL1_sleeper670 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
PlainSC1
PlainSC1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1
Default Re: performance chip?

Don't waste your money on that$0.05 peice of crap . It is just a resistor from Radio Shack that costs bout 5 cents . Buy them on ebay for like $1.99 all day long . All it does is fool you car into thinking that the incoming air is colder than it really is to change the spark and fuel curves .. Keep your money
PlainSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
tehSaturn
tehSaturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SW2

That looks like a really fancy BS eBay car "super chip" that magically makes the car run better. I think you can buy the "chip" at a RadioShack in their parts drawer.

But yeah, I wouldn't buy that. Looks like any other "insta-power" bolt-on chip. Total BS.
2001 SW2: 60k Miles @ 8/11
tehSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
C 2
C 2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

I'll admit being no expert here, but that chip appears to simply fool your car into thinking the incoming air temp is different, usually resulting in a rich fuel mixture. IAT = Incoming Air Temperature sensor

You can build one with under $1.00 in parts, and I don't think you're going to get any realistic power increase out of this little hack.

Save your money.
C 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
tehSaturn

2001 SW2

Oh and to answer the Original Poster's question about "any other chips" that work with the car....Proooobably not.

I believe that the PCM Module on the S-Series cars are pretty cut and dry. I've done some research and most people have come back saying there's no way to "hack" the PCM or "unlock" it.

There is one company that is willing to do work on your PCM (they say they can tune it or something), but it costs $500.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The CARB was so incensed at what the owner could do to the OBD-1 cars that they specked the OBD-2 to be encrypted. The boxes for a couple of the high performance Chevy engines are cracked but you are going to spend 2 large to get your sticky fingers on the software.

There are NO performance chips for Saturn. You can buy aftermarket engine control systems though.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
you can gain up to 50 extra Horsepower in your system
I've bolded the important part.

Realistically, you can expect 0-1whp increase, if not potentially a loss.
T3/T4, built motor, coilovers, rear disc, audio setup, etc.
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:32 AM   #8
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

There is a few guys that "hacked" the Saturn PCM. Real advantage? No just lots of coding to change small things. Waste of time.
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Mike where is your chip picture for this guy???
Saturnless...
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Better results can be found with this kind of chip:

The ebay chips desrease HP and harm other engine components.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #11
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Because everyone knows that increased fuel = increased power!!!!

/end sarcasim
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Better results can be found with this kind of chip:

I prefer pringles. they have more consistant product quality, a convenient storage container and leave less grease behind
1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Slaughter View Post
There is a few guys that "hacked" the Saturn PCM. Real advantage? No just lots of coding to change small things. Waste of time.

They are also hiding that light under a light tight basket.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #14
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The CARB was so incensed at what the owner could do to the OBD-1 cars that they specked the OBD-2 to be encrypted. The boxes for a couple of the high performance Chevy engines are cracked but you are going to spend 2 large to get your sticky fingers on the software.

There are NO performance chips for Saturn. You can buy aftermarket engine control systems though.
In reality I think GM created coding to the point it's just not cost effective to bother cracking the vehicle unless it's popular enough to recoup the money doing so.

There are quite a few GM vehicles both OBD I & II that can be custom tuned, but I doubt anyone is going to spend much time doing it on a car no longer made.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

OBD-1 is clear code while OBD-2 is encrypted, by regulation. There are I think 2 OBD-2 engines that have the PCM hacked. If you go read the following you will see that its a government mandated requirement. SAE J1930, J1962, J1978, J1979, J2012, J2190, J1850, J2178.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #16
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

You can get a piggy back type ECU controller and tune OPEN LOOP PCM conditions. CLOSED LOOP, the PCM will learn around any adjustment you try to make.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #17
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
OBD-1 is clear code while OBD-2 is encrypted, by regulation. There are I think 2 OBD-2 engines that have the PCM hacked. If you go read the following you will see that its a government mandated requirement. SAE J1930, J1962, J1978, J1979, J2012, J2190, J1850, J2178.
Encrypted or not, there are a whole lot more than 2 hacked OBDII vehicles. You can get tuners for lots and lots of them. Even the Isuzu in our driveway can get ECM tunes, along with just about any Ford or GM truck made.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

With OBD-2 you can carefully remove the PCM and place it in the trash and start over with a decent aftermarket engine management system. These options are always out there but that is not the idea. The idea is to have something that looks to the world as stock untouched by human hands yet performs better. To do that you have to get to the basic tables and fuel maps in the box.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

a long time ago, a company was selling a "kit" that included potentiometers [variable resistors] and a cone air filter with a built in velocity. you'd wire the pots inline with the coolant temp sensor and PCM so you could "trick" the PCM into thinking the engine was warmer or cooler that it was and it would add more or less fuel. the air filter whistled! Grassroots Motorsports magazine tested it and it made a bit more power but not a huge amount. It was similar in effect to using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for tuning in open loop after you installed an intake tube and/or cat-back exhaust system.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:21 AM   #20
tehSaturn

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Yeah, I'd figure that tricking your car into dumping large amounts of fuel into a car with an unchanged air temp might have some harmful results...like...ruining your engine?

Personally, I don't think effing with the PCM is worth it. Maybe piggy-backing...but that's about it for me.

Oh and I totally agree with the Pringles statement.