SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 10-16-2021, 10:31 PM   #21
Striker2237
Striker2237 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
Default Re: New member with 1992 barn find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Nice find!

A few things of note... as I'm not much in the Saturn fold anymore. I periodically check in here from time to time...

If your intention is to keep this for awhile, and putting Historical plates on it...
I would do the swap on the Manual shifter, with the E-Clip Stainless Shifter Bushing- there's plenty of info here on it... I would also consider doing the 25 tooth Odometer Gear swap as well- Available from OdometerGears.com I wrote the writeup, that their website lifted from this website.

Since you are going the route of Historical plates in Ohio (I'm in Cincinnati)... you will only be able to drive the car for mostly car shows/maintenance and the like.

I just purchased Historical Plates for my 1994 Homecoming Edition... and Now I need to find a good storage place for my car.

Nice find. Truly a cool barn find. If it's been sitting that long, it will probably need to have a lot of things lubed, as well as the rubber aspects replaced- Tires, Serp Belt, Motor Mounts as well.
Thanks for the shifter info lol! It just broke on me two days ago right when I was going to start the car. I had just finished replacing everything that it needed and did a "neural jiggle" and it snapped off right then and there!

The tires are factory and are in no way useable, I'm getting some cheap Walmart tires since the car won't ever see rain if I can help it or above 60-70 mph. Somehow the rubber did okay, it didn't need anything other than the belt as a precaution but it was also technically okay and not even cracked. All the brakes were also still moving/sliding as they are supposed to and the seals all held. It has new rotors and pads however as those were rusted beyond hope. Rear drums were all good and parking brake was also perfectly in adjustment.

I'll update with a video and a bunch of pictures in a few days when the replacement shift cables are installed, my dumbass didn't check to see if there was a community fix before I spent 1/3 the cost of the car on new ones.

I'll look into the better gear for the Odo, I'm also quite aware of the plate restrictions and it's really not a problem as I really did just buy the car to preserve it and take it to shows.
Striker2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2021, 06:39 PM   #22
Striker2237

1992 SL1

Here are some pictures of the car interior fully cleaned up and a quick exterior pressure blast, haven't taken her out yet but I'll have a video of first start and drive when I do.

https://imgur.com/a/p2FzNeL

I'm very happy how it cleaned up inside, nearly perfectly with only very minor imperfections you would have to go looking for to find. I'm hopeful the AC starts without issue so I can clean out the drain pipe and send enzymatic cleaned through the cores and pipes. After that and a few days doing paint corrections/polish it will be ready for shows.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:47 PM   #23
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2

That exterior color is so nice. My first SL2 was the same color and its a near perfect mid-tone between gold and brown without being either and not too light or too dark as well. Great looking show car. I wonder if the driver assistance 800 number seen on the sticker in the glove box is still valid?
• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #24
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

Nice find. Brings back memories…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5DE9CD50-D0D8-4BF4-B388-CD580C5C4E9A.jpg (86.5 KB, 24 views)
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:40 AM   #25
Striker2237

1992 SL1

I attempted a start, I don't think I have fuel. I'm going to check the pump tomorrow but I think I may need to drop the tank and replace it, do these cars show fuel level when you turn the key to "ON" or does the car have to be running? I very well may have no fuel in it and am wasting time but I didn't hear the pump try to prime.....I added 2 gallons but the needle doesn't move? I suspect that it's likely all the gas went bad and vaporized seizing the pump out

Everything seems to be working other than lack of fuel so far, starter is strong, all lights work, fans work, original battery even made it through 5 min of crank attempts! Not bad for sitting 20 years
Old 10-20-2021, 11:33 PM   #26
El_bell
El_bell is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

The fuel pump relay is located behind the passenger side console kick panel. When you turn the key to run you should be able to hear it click on, and a few seconds later click off to build pressure. If that checks out good then you should also be able to hear the fuel pump whining between clicks. If you can't hear any noise coming from the pump its probably either gone bad, or is losing 12v somewhere after the relay. I'm guessing its just gone bad from sitting for so long, but Richpin has a video on how to check if the fuel pump is for sure getting 12 volts or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODs5GMRI2Q0

As for the gauge, my 97 does show the fuel level by just turning the key to on without the car running. If adding 2 gallons didn't move the gauge, the float is probably stuck to the bottom of the tank.
El_bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #27
Striker2237

1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_bell View Post
The fuel pump relay is located behind the passenger side console kick panel. When you turn the key to run you should be able to hear it click on, and a few seconds later click off to build pressure. If that checks out good then you should also be able to hear the fuel pump whining between clicks. If you can't hear any noise coming from the pump its probably either gone bad, or is losing 12v somewhere after the relay. I'm guessing its just gone bad from sitting for so long, but Richpin has a video on how to check if the fuel pump is for sure getting 12 volts or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODs5GMRI2Q0

As for the gauge, my 97 does show the fuel level by just turning the key to on without the car running. If adding 2 gallons didn't move the gauge, the float is probably stuck to the bottom of the tank.
Thanks, I wasn't expecting it to be so easy. Pump is dead, I'm going to take the tank off
Old 10-26-2021, 04:41 PM   #28
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Very cool find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
If it's been sitting that long, it will probably need to have a lot of things lubed,
yeah, my immediate thoughts were, "lube the seat belt tracks and the manual window tracks!"

lack of lube hastened the motor deaths of the auto seatbelts, and lack of lube on the window tracks caused the sliding block to crack.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #29
Striker2237

1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Very cool find!

yeah, my immediate thoughts were, "lube the seat belt tracks and the manual window tracks!"

lack of lube hastened the motor deaths of the auto seatbelts, and lack of lube on the window tracks caused the sliding block to crack.
What line do you guys use for the windows?
Old 11-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #30
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I like Sil-Glyde for the window tracks. It's a synthetic, hi-temp brake lube so I have it on-hand, but the bigger reason is that is is safer for rubber and plastics.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote