SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 10-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
BackedMoss01
BackedMoss01 is on a distinguished road

Wrench Turbo kit

A few month ago i bought my first car, at 17 i am a proud owner of a 2002 Saturn sc2, ive been looking into possibly turboing my car and was wondering if the kit that i found would be a good option for my car

https://www.fastwayracer.com/p2983/9...duct_info.html
BackedMoss01 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Turbo kit

If it doesn't cost over $3000 because it includes a standalone PCM, it's the wrong kit for the car. The stock PCM's have no tuning/programming options.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A discouraging but necessary hint from that site description of the turbo kit - "We offer 90 days warranty for this turbo kit if it is installed by ASE certified mechanic!" In other words, guaranteed to blow the engine without extensive knowledge of EFI systems, 4-stroke fundamentals between normally aspirated and turbo or super charged engines.

Second hint - "Instruction is not included. Professional installation is highly recommended!"
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

This is a generic turbo kit. Instructions aren’t included because you’re going to be fabricating various parts to just get it to fit in the engine bay…and that’s the easy part assuming you have a bunch of tools.

You’ll then have to piggyback onto the ECU to handle the fuel management, boost, and ensure the engine doesn’t run like garbage through the rev band. I doubt you’re going to find someone that has the hardware and installation/programming experience unless you have a bunch of extra cash.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:03 AM   #5
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Many people have turbo'ed DOHC Saturns, just do your online research. The best ones have built motors ( forged pistons, bigger injectors, stand alone ecu) and will run forever. If you just want to hear turbo noises for a couple months until the ring lands fall to pieces your best bet would be to grab a SAAB turbo from the junk yard and attach that to your exaust mani and go from there.
My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:15 PM   #6
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1995 SW2

On a third gen engine like yours, you can expect to have broken ring lands within the first few weeks of boost.
Either build an engine with forged internals as mentioned by others, or find a suitable first gen engine. They handle boost better than second and third gen engines.
Regardless, that kit is incomplete and does not factor in the tuning aspect, which requires a full stand alone ECU. Any other version of tuning will be short lived and is not proper.
Avoid boost unless your pockets are deep and you have a second car for a daily driver.
1994 Sl2 5spd First Car, Stock: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd: Retired Daily, Not Stock: 192,000
1998 Sl2 5spd: Family Car, Stock :135,000
1995 SW2 4spd: Daily, Stock: 91,000
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote