SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 05-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
bo03vue
bo03vue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.4L
Default 03 Vue front washer pump

Today, the front windshield washer pump stopped working while the back one continued to work. I have been having issues with it for a few months now where it would work sometimes, and sometimes not. I opened up the hood and checked the hoses (fine), tested the back sprayer again (fine), but the front sprayer refuses to work. Both the front and back pumps are on the same pump and are controlled by the same switch, so I am at a loss for words. I did go to Autozone and they pulled out their volt meter and told me that the connection reads 12V when I flip the back sprayer switch, but it reads .5V when I flip the front sprayer switch. (This is getting too long, sorry) All of the wipers turn on just fine, but the front sprayer wont spray. Help!
bo03vue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
TheVue
TheVue is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 03 Vue front washer pump

The sprayer pump on my 07 had a leak and I ended up replacing it. As far as your problem have you tried reversing the hoses at the pump. Put the rear hose where the front one goes and the front hose to the rear side and see if the rear sprayer then stops working. Does that make sense? Then you know if you have a bad pump, other wise it could be a plugged hose somewhere in the front system.
TheVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
bo03vue

2003 VUE 2.4L

I checked the hoses and neither of them are plugged. I pretty sure its something electrical because the wipers wont even go when I try to use the sprayer but they will go otherwise. I've narrowed it down to relays or wiring (Someone correct me if I am wrong...)
Old 05-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Sounds like wiper switch is going out. If voltages are low at pump and wipers won't wipe when you try to use washer then switch is probably bad. Just a thought.
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo03vue View Post
I checked the hoses and neither of them are plugged. I pretty sure its something electrical because the wipers wont even go when I try to use the sprayer but they will go otherwise. I've narrowed it down to relays or wiring (Someone correct me if I am wrong...)
I vote with tiger862 - the most likely suspect is the switch. New switches range from $18 to $34 at RockAuto and can be changed in 15 minutes - or less.

Click on thumbnail if you've not seen complete wiper circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05 Vue - WS Wiper Circuit.jpg (129.9 KB, 15 views)
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
bo03vue

2003 VUE 2.4L

This is weird! I just got back from an Auto Electric place and the guy must have given it a jump start because it works again! It's running slowly, but it works again. I will, however, take tiger's and grumpy's advice and change out the switch. It has been slow for a while now when it was fast before. Can I switch the switch myself?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo03vue View Post
Can I switch the switch myself?
Switch is not difficult to replace ... once you have a new one you can hook a finger in turn-signal lever hole and pop the top cover off of steering wheel.

You may also want to remove the bottom cover from steering wheel - there are three 7/32 inch (5.5 mm) hex head screws to be removed.

You remove the wiper switch connector by squeezing the release lever and tugging connector away from switch. The switch is held in place by two "ears" which must be squeezed for removal (look at new switch - its a piece of cake).

BTW - you mention wiper speed running slow - not to put on spot but if you have the speed selector in INT position the BCM controls front and rear wiper speed (based on position of rotary speed switch).

But you knew that.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

If that doesn't work, you may need a new pump. I replaced the one in my '05. It's pretty straight-forward, and I found one at Autozone for around $26.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175700
Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
Mills
Mills is on a distinguished road

Having the same issue. Washer pumps fluid to rear window even though I am pulling back on switch arm for front fluid dispensing. Replaced the pump, replaced the relay, replaced the switch are on the steering column and disconnected all hoses and nozzles and blew them clean. Still having the same issue - it dispenses to the rear window only even though I am trying to dispense to the front windshield. The only thing I can think of is a short in the wiring between the switch and pump that is powering the gate valve in the pump to always divert the fluid to the rear window.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:43 PM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills View Post
Having the same issue. Washer pumps fluid to rear window even though I am pulling back on switch arm for front fluid dispensing. Replaced the pump, replaced the relay, replaced the switch are on the steering column and disconnected all hoses and nozzles and blew them clean. Still having the same issue - it dispenses to the rear window only even though I am trying to dispense to the front windshield. The only thing I can think of is a short in the wiring between the switch and pump that is powering the gate valve in the pump to always divert the fluid to the rear window.
I attached info from a washer post from several years ago - some might be applicable to you - especially last paragraph if you have meter or test light.

The single pump motor runs one direction for front and reverses for hatch window so a motor failure stops both ends.

The only BCM and washer pump interface is when wiper stalk controls are moved to wash either front or rear windows the same signal is routed to BCM to activate front or rear wipers for three (or so) swipes.

The washer pump motor is embedded in bottom of washer fluid reservoir and is fed by red and dark green wires.

If you had test light - and could get to wires - red wire should have 12 volts when front wash switch is activated and dark green will have 12 volts when rear washer switch is activated.