SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 12-30-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
wildspeed
wildspeed is on a distinguished road

Default Ventilation - A/C Temperature Control acting up

2006 Vue 3.5L

Couple of days ago, the temperature control knob started not to work properly.
Sometime it wouldn't set the temperature accordingly to the position.
Would go from freezing a/c to full heat when moved pass the middle point and will stay on full heat even when returned to coldest position.
Will eventually go back to work after multiple try.
wildspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Ventilation - A/C Temperature Control acting up

I don't know if we share ('03 L300) the same auto climate control system - 5 buttons across the top, two dials on either side and 2 bottom buttons with a small grille between them. An lcd displays functions. If yours is auto climate control, it may be either an intermittent issue or announcing its demise.

Mine began with cold temperatures making the temperature dial unresponsive, slow in displaying changes until the cabin warmed up. This started well after 10 yrs of ownership. A replacement seems to correct that problem but I noticed temperature dialing is beginning to show itself this winter. In cold temps I dial up maximum heat before shutting the engine down so the heater door is directing incoming air thru the heater on the next startup. Once warmer inside the car the dial acts normal. Since this auto climate control system has its own mini computer, controlling a blend and mode door, the actuators are controlled by this climate control module. The small grille is for the air temperature sensor to monitor cabin temps for the system to adjust the blend door - mixing outside, ac and heater according to whoever sets the hvac system. Auto temperature regulation was never great with wide swings sometimes.

If you have a cabin air filter, was it replaced as needed?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:56 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildspeed View Post
2006 Vue 3.5L

Couple of days ago, the temperature control knob started not to work properly.
Sometime it wouldn't set the temperature accordingly to the position.
Would go from freezing a/c to full heat when moved pass the middle point and will stay on full heat even when returned to coldest position.
Will eventually go back to work after multiple try.
The temp knob controls signals to the temp actuator. Actuators are accessible and replaceable by removing glove compartment.

You could try a simple calibration first with these steps from service manual.

Calibrate the mode actuators by simultaneously pushing the A/C and RECIRC buttons on the HVAC control module 3 times each, within 2 seconds of initial push.

1. The A/C and RECIRC button LED's will flash while this calibration is taking place.

2. The calibration will take anywhere between 10 to 30 seconds depending on battery voltage.

3. LEDs will quit flashing when calibration is complete.

4. Cycle ignition and verify proper operation.

I'll email extracts to replace the actuator if calibration fails to fix problem. Send email address by private message.

Actuators are commonly available - I see Rock Auto has for around $60 before shipping and Amazon has several different actuators ranging from $20 to $60.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 12-31-2021 at 12:02 AM. Reason: add info
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
wildspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I don't know if we share ('03 L300) the same auto climate control system - 5 buttons across the top, two dials on either side and 2 bottom buttons with a small grille between them. An lcd displays functions. If yours is auto climate control, it may be either an intermittent issue or announcing its demise.

Mine began with cold temperatures making the temperature dial unresponsive, slow in displaying changes until the cabin warmed up. This started well after 10 yrs of ownership. A replacement seems to correct that problem but I noticed temperature dialing is beginning to show itself this winter. In cold temps I dial up maximum heat before shutting the engine down so the heater door is directing incoming air thru the heater on the next startup. Once warmer inside the car the dial acts normal. Since this auto climate control system has its own mini computer, controlling a blend and mode door, the actuators are controlled by this climate control module. The small grille is for the air temperature sensor to monitor cabin temps for the system to adjust the blend door - mixing outside, ac and heater according to whoever sets the hvac system. Auto temperature regulation was never great with wide swings sometimes.

If you have a cabin air filter, was it replaced as needed?
Different system, thank you
Old 12-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #5
wildspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
The temp knob controls signals to the temp actuator. Actuators are accessible and replaceable by removing glove compartment.

You could try a simple calibration first with these steps from service manual.

Calibrate the mode actuators by simultaneously pushing the A/C and RECIRC buttons on the HVAC control module 3 times each, within 2 seconds of initial push.

1. The A/C and RECIRC button LED's will flash while this calibration is taking place.

2. The calibration will take anywhere between 10 to 30 seconds depending on battery voltage.

3. LEDs will quit flashing when calibration is complete.

4. Cycle ignition and verify proper operation.

I'll email extracts to replace the actuator if calibration fails to fix problem. Send email address by private message.

Actuators are commonly available - I see Rock Auto has for around $60 before shipping and Amazon has several different actuators ranging from $20 to $60.
Thank you.
Tried the calibration, worked after doing it, but issue came back the next time driving out.
Will get a replacement actuator.