SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-13-2007, 05:55 AM   #1
valleyguy94
valleyguy94 is on a distinguished road

Default Trans filter and fluid change

Just bought this car (SL2) with an auto not sure if the trans fluid and filter have been changed often or not (used car dealer wasnt sure) and im alittle worried about messin with it...the fliud is clean and it shifts great, and it seems like everytime i do things to help the car out i end up with other problems...so if it hasnt been messed with should i bother doing it?? can i do it myself?
valleyguy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: Trans filter and fluid change

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy94 View Post
Just bought this car (SL2) with an auto not sure if the trans fluid and filter have been changed often or not (used car dealer wasnt sure) and im alittle worried about messin with it...the fliud is clean and it shifts great, and it seems like everytime i do things to help the car out i end up with other problems...so if it hasnt been messed with should i bother doing it?? can i do it myself?
Easer then a oil change. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65426
Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
Default Re: Trans filter and fluid change

Since you do not know the history, it would be wise to change the fluid and filter. An OEM filter is about $15.00, and you will need about 6 quarts of Dexron III. I used 5.5 quarts last time. I like Mobil 1 Dex III, but it is expensive. I had a reverse slam issue, and use my car for work, so I spent more on fluid. Not changing the fluid often enough may result in the valve body getting gummed up/dirty, and symptoms like reverse slam. This is a $700 or so repair, but with regular fluid changes, it can be prevented. Using a house brand Dexron III, your talking about less then $30. As far as causing more problems, lack of maintenance will cause more problems then skipping maintenance. The owners manual has a nice How-To for changing your fluid. It is recommended every 30,000 miles. Also, since you are new to this car, it would be wise to check your oil often. Every fill-up is recommended in the owner's manual. These engines can get gummed up oil control rings, and topping off the oil with oil changes every 3,000 miles is recommended. Also, you may want to check out the How-To Library stickys. They outline replacement of a common part that fails. Your car will love you, if you treat it right.
Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
valleyguy94

Well I'm not a stranger to repairs or modifing parts i bought the car so i could lay my S10 up for some major dissasembly and paint and stuff...as for checkin the oil and what not its a given as i do it regulary and the oil will be getting changed every 3000 KM sounds like alot but i like my oil clean and new as possible, and the trans filter/fluid sounds super simple so i will be deffinitly be doin that as well.....I see the mobile one being recomended, is there a reason or is just what some of you prefer? by the way thanks for the quick response love the site and the car..
Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Wolfman, the Saturn trained Tech recommended the Mobil 1. He did many of the write-ups in the How-To Library, and is someone I respect. I believe one reason is it will have less of a tendency to leave deposits. He also recommends Mobil 1 motor oil for a similar reason I believe. Hey, I am a Social Worker, and pretty much follow what people of more experience tell me. My experience is my transmission works perfectly, and was slamming hard when I came here. Since you know your way around cars, your should appreciate your Saturn. Pretty simple to work on, especially with the extensive support here. I believe Wolfman runs Mobil 1 10w-30. It is about keeping the oil from coking on the rings, so unfortunately, it is regular oil changes for these cars. Mjo put a bypass filter on and eliminated oil consumption, but that type of set-up in not for everyone.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
valleyguy94

yea, everything does seem to be pretty simple to work on in this car...just replaced the air filter and pcv valve yesterday now its on to the oil and trans this weekand hopefully...I will most likely go with mobile one for the tranny but probally not the oil...most oils are the same anyway so i might just stick to my castrol GTX that i use in my truck...it says 5w30 on the oil cahnge sticker so i guess i will stick with that but i might move up to 10w30 thanks again
Old 03-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
valleyguy94

yea, everything does seem to be pretty simple to work on in this car...just replaced the air filter and pcv valve yesterday now its on to the oil and trans this weekand hopefully...I will most likely go with mobile one for the tranny but probally not the oil... i might just stick to my castrol GTX that i use in my truck...it says 5w30 on the oil cahnge sticker so i guess i will stick with that but i might move up to 10w30 as long as you keep the oil changed i dont think it will matter which oil you use...mind you synthetics are better but for this high of a miliage engine (234,000km) i dont wanna shock it to much haha. thanks again
Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #8
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Castrol is a great oil. It yeilded the lowest oil consumption in my car. I am just going to start using 10w-30 oils in my car. One member, 97coupe strongly recommneds 10w-30 in these engines to reduce the VI improvers which can make the rings dirty. I usued Castrol 10w-30 for years without problems in another vehicle, so I am going to give it a whirl, so to speak. One thing, you say you know how to mod things, so I am not sure of your driving style. These cars have another thing to look out for. Some people spin their tires and learn the hard way. The diff pin breaks loose and destroys the transmission. If you do plugs, NGK work great. Came stock in my car.

Read/look at post #16. A picture is worth a thousand words:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94599

Last edited by Tiger; 03-14-2007 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added link
Old 03-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
richpin06
richpin06 is just really nicerichpin06 is just really nicerichpin06 is just really nicerichpin06 is just really nicerichpin06 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Bam!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfLSlB823cU
http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
valleyguy94

well that looked like it sucked. Dont have to worry about me doin that to this car its just a daily driver, most i will ever do to this thing is floor it when passin on the highway or sumthin but thats about all the sbuse this car will see....got my truck for crulizing
Old 03-14-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Mine is a daily driver also. It has been rock solid in so many ways. If you want things to stay running tip top, changing the ECTS to the new brass design may keep you from problems in the future. Also, I had problems with the DIS Module getting corrosion where it mounts to the transmission, causing a misfire. Easy to clean. All this is in the How-To library. You will have to post pictures of your truck when you are done.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:48 AM   #12
valleyguy94

have to check those out....as for the truck, well all i can offer rite now is a before picture. this was back a year ago its going lower and shiner this year.....or when ever its finished hahaha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of HPIM0119.JPG (33.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-15-2007, 05:53 AM   #13
valleyguy94

okay i tried postin a vid and it didnt work so the picture will have to do haha
Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #14
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Nice looking truck!