SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 06-22-2022, 03:03 PM   #1
Skimnshred
Skimnshred is on a distinguished road

Wrench Passenger Presence Sensor Fix

Hi all,

New to the forum and wanted to share some info on a recent Passenger Presence Sensor issue I had.

The Airbag light recently went on in my 2009 Aura, and the passenger airbag indicator was reading "off" even with a full-sized human in the passenger seat. It began as intermittent and eventually happened every time someone sat in the passenger seat. Seems like a common problem (the Sky owners made such a stink that GM issued a recall!)

Brought it to the dealer and was quoted $1349 for a replacement(it just keeps going up), which is not much less than the car is worth at this point, so I went in search of another solution. After pulling the seat cover off, I noticed that the sensor is almost identical to those from the Sky that were recalled, aside from the white heating element glued to the top (mine has heated cloth seats).

My first try was a seat from a 2007 Aura, but the sensor and connections were completely different than my 2009. Picked up a 2009 heated leather seat from a junkyard today for $80, removed the cover and pulled out the entire cushion with sensor and heater still attached. Installed it in my cloth passenger seat, plugged it in, and boom, no airbag light, sensor works as it should. Just waiting on some hog ring pliers to finish the job.

Apologies for the long post, just wanted to get my experience out there for others who may be in a similar situation.
Skimnshred is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2022, 03:13 PM   #2
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Passenger Presence Sensor Fix

Good for you, thanks for the detailed post. I'm sure somebody else will find your solution helpful at some point.
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote