SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
john_lu
john_lu is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Dazed turn key to the Run position, the warning light don't show

After engine piston soak. I key in the ignition switch and turn the key to the Run position, the oil pressure warning light and battery warning light on the tachometer donít show. Starting engine, the oil pressure warning lights and battery warning light donít show still. Then drive the car on road above 10 minutes, the service wrench warning light sudden appeared about 20 seconds. Stop car and use the OBD2 scanner cannít read the any code. Sometimes turn the key to the Run position, the oil pressure warning light and battery warning light will show, but Sometimes do not show.

why? Whatís matter with my car?
john_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2006, 03:42 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: turn key to the Run position, the warning light don't show

Your scanner won't pick up any codes associated with the "Wrench" light, only the SES light. The "wrench" light is on, no doubt, because the oil and battery lights don't always work. So, the remaining mystery is, why do they work sometimes, but not always?

I'll check my diagrams to see if there's any circuit common to the two lights in question. Not sure if there's a fuse associated with them, but I would carefully check ALL fuses in BOTH fuse boxes.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
john_lu

1997 SL1
Question Re: turn key to the Run position, the warning light don't show

Sometimes turn the key to the Run position, the oil pressure warning light on only or the battery warning light on only. And Sometimes, the oil pressure warning light and the battery warning light won't light on or both light on.

Will the PCM or ALTERNATOR be bad?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

It's definitely not the alternator, because it only runs when the engine is running.

So you're getting all four "combinations" at different times: both lights off, oil light only, battery light only, and both lights on. Is that right?

It could be:
* wiring or connector to the instrument cluster
* those specific bulbs in the instrument cluster
* wiring or connectors to the PCM
* the PCM itself

The PCMs on these cars are generally very reliable. I think the wiring is the more likely suspect.

By the way, you are the second "overseas" member to post recently (we have a new member in Germany). You drive on the left in Taiwan, correct? Is your Saturn's steering wheel on the left or the right side of the car?
Old 11-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

I figure you have a bad "run" contact in the ignition switch.

These cars actually have two contacts, one for stuff you "MUST" have to run and other stuff, like gauges, that are optional.

Try wiggling the key in the "run" position (with the car not running) and see if you can get the dash warning lights this way.
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:52 AM   #6
john_lu

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
By the way, you are the second "overseas" member to post recently (we have a new member in Germany). You drive on the left in Taiwan, correct? Is your Saturn's steering wheel on the left or the right side of the car?
My Saturn's steering wheel on the left side of the car. Saturn SL1 is really a good car. It is reliable and safe.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
madpogue

1996 SW2

Do you get a lot of attention, with an American car and the driving position on the "wrong" side? It must start a lot of conversations. And I can attest to the safety of the car. A VERY large deer (probably 250 lb) ran into my SW2 while I was going about 55 MPH (90 km/h), and although it did a lot of damage, I was able to repair it all, and my wife and I were not injured at all.

Eljefino's advice is right-on. The ignition lock/switch is a common cause of problems among S-series owners. When the problem happens again, also try pushing or pulling on the key ("in" and "out"), to see if it makes the warning lights come on. By the way, if you pull on the key while it's in the RUN position, and are able to pull it all the way out (remove it), that means the ignition lock is DEFINITELY worn out.

If it has to be replaced, it's possible to get one "keyed" to match the original, so you can still use the same key for the doors and the new ignition lock. It might be very difficult to have that done in Taiwan, however. You may have to send information to a dealership here in the States, with proof that you own the car, and the VIN, and then have them ship the ignition lock to you.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
john_lu

1997 SL1
Happy Re: turn key to the Run position, the warning light don't show

Thanks eljefino and madpogue's advice. I did it this morning .
HA HA BINGO!!! The ignition lock/switch is the cause of problems.
I tried the procedure and the oil pressure warning light and the battery warning light would both light on. And Then start engine, drove my car on road the service wrench warning light didn't appear.

With the key in the ignition switch, push key a little and slowly turn to ACC (see the sound system light on) and slowly turn to RUN(see all the warning light will on and some will be extinguish later) and Then start engine(all the warning light will be extinguish except park brake).