SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 04-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
Nirbapow
Nirbapow is on a distinguished road

Default Help with choosing headlight bulbs

Looking to upgrade my wife's Vue with xenons but I read online (https://www.xenonpro.com/led-vs-xeno...ich-are-better) that LEDs would be better because of the reflector headlights.

Does anyone have any recommendations for either? She just needs brighter lights, her's are absolutely terrible
Nirbapow is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Help with choosing headlight bulbs

If you have any regard for the safety of opposing traffic facing your Vue at night, do not buy HID lamps. High intensity discharge lights are specifically designed for projector light assemblies. You'll recognize them as small diameter low beam headlights. They're about 4 inches in diameter with the lamp placed well inside, out of view compared to reflector headlights with easily seen lamps. The design of projector headlights are concentrated beam with a metal cutoff plate across the bottom half of the interior. This blocks off the upper beam (light beam reverses) to cut off light from blinding opposing traffic. If the cutoff plate isn't there, this projector is a high beam light. Some european headlights use the same projector for low and high beams by lowering the plate to allow a full beam (high). Four headlights in many vehicles may have the low beams as projectors and larger conventional reflectors as high beams. With most low and high beams using reflectors, you can see the lamps. Projectors hide the lamps deep behind the front lens. Mistakenly putting hid lamps into reflectors simply creates an intense high beam light, blinding everyone. No amount of lowering the light housing will correct misapplication.

The few solutions for brighter low beams are; replacing reflectors with hid light assemblies, using slightly brighter halogen bulbs or reading about led lamps. Be very cautious as replacing original halogen lamps for hid or led lamps can redirect the beam pattern to create more issues. Led lamps replacing halogens seem to be effective in throwing out more light but careful research can steer you away from fly by night sources with zero tech support if you encounter problems from poor aiming to excessive glare towards opposing traffic.

I'm not only an owner of factory projector low beams but successfully placed hid lamps into them while retaining daytime ruining lights. I may be the exception with 35 watt hids because losing DRLs is the cost of upgrading my car using low beams as DRLs. Surprisingly, no electrical mods were done to retain DRLs. I have the cutoff plate inside both low beam projectors and researched the pros and cons of headlight systems.

Ask yourself one question. If you decide on better lighting, are you willing to view your work from the opposing traffic point of view to see if your mod blinds you? I did and cannot see glare and have never been high beamed to signal me that my retrofitted hid low beams are blinding traffic.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirbapow View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for either? She just needs brighter lights, her's are absolutely terrible
Sure it's not just the outer plastic housing that became cloudy. I run with $4 halogen bulbs and have no problem at night.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...I was running sylvania silver stars , pretty bright at night with the white light, they would last about 5yrs or so . put them in my 06' when it was new,and have had them in ever since, just my.02, DC.
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote