SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

View Poll Results: Did I get a good deal?
Paid way too much!! 10 12.05%
A little high 29 34.94%
Just about right 29 34.94%
Great Deal! 16 19.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2021, 09:21 PM   #201
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: New to Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Lateral runout of rotor discs; https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/b...al-runout.html. I'm not aware of using shims to adjust runout. Runout greater than 0.002" is visible by eye when rotating a disc rotor on a vehicle. A crude pointer made from a hanger attached anywhere on the caliper frame the bent to almost touching the rotor disc surface serves as a dial caliper. The human eye can see 0.002" runout.

Most of us know labor rates of repair shops and dealers and parts markup to understand the high cost of vehicle repairs.

The ridge left on the perimeter is the actual thickness of the original rotor when it was new (plus any rust growing on it since) as it never wears down. Brrake pads never touches them. What you see of the rest of the rotor disc in contact with brake pads are worn down surfaces, outside and inside.

Or just break down and buy a dial indicator with a magnettic gooseneck base....

Like a guy REALLY needs an excuse to buy more tools....

(Having a machine shop here - I even have a .0001 resolution indicator.....)
Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
98 SL2
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2021, 01:54 AM   #202
Chris Arnold
Chris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Back in post#144, you bought a set of tire chains (actually cables) for snow country (where required). Did you ever use them and any comments about their use?
Doesn't look like I got back to you on this. I ended up using mine for about a week, earlier, this year. I made it about 10 miles with the cables in the rear making a noticeable tapping sound before my anxiety got the batter of me and I took the rears off. The inner clasp was hitting a piece of the suspension and that couldn't have gone on forever. I think it was the rear shock, but my memory is not awesome. Nothing wrong with the chains when I pulled them off, though I'm not one to tempt fate.

Regardless, the fronts + winter tires got me through some pretty rough conditions and I was glad I had them. I recommend the cables for the front only.

Ps. if you want a set, I'll sell my hardly used rears for 1/2 whatever they're going for new, these days if that seems fair. I didn't really think of that til now, and had previously just figured I'd have a spare set if I ever wore the fronts out. But anyways, let me know if ya want em.
Chris Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:31 AM   #203
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Hey Onlinebiker, you said "(Having a machine shop here - I even have a .0001 resolution indicator.....)".
I routinely purchase digital calipers and only purchase ones that read 0.0001" (half-thousand of an inch), but the micrometers I buy, read 0.00001".
Hint, if you buy a caliper on Ebay and they say the resolution is half-thousand, but their photos show resolution of 0.001" and they refuse to show the correct display, then they are lying and selling fake (ie fake Mitutoyo) calipers from Chinaland.
I do industrial calibration, and currently have almost 700 in my annual database scheduled by service month.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #204
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
Doesn't look like I got back to you on this. I ended up using mine for about a week, earlier, this year. I made it about 10 miles with the cables in the rear making a noticeable tapping sound before my anxiety got the batter of me and I took the rears off. The inner clasp was hitting a piece of the suspension and that couldn't have gone on forever. I think it was the rear shock, but my memory is not awesome. Nothing wrong with the chains when I pulled them off, though I'm not one to tempt fate.

Ps. if you want a set, I'll sell my hardly used rears for 1/2 whatever they're going for new, these days if that seems fair. I didn't really think of that til now, and had previously just figured I'd have a spare set if I ever wore the fronts out. But anyways, let me know if ya want em.
I was interested in whether or not cable tire chains work in minimal clearance of Saturn cars. Thank you for the offer of first dibs on the rear cable chains but I'm good without need of winter chains in NYC. If sanitation and salt trucks (equipped with plows) can't get thru streets then the streets aren't navigable, even with all wheel drive as a snow dump over a foot+ stopping plows simply brings traffic to a standstill. It's happened a few times over the decades. Nobody drives until a Big Dig gets rid of all that snow.

Other members with a greater need for cable chains may be interested.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #205
Chris Arnold
Chris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SL2

In that case, I'm not going to try. They'll just be a spare set. Any case, yeah they work well on the front, not so much on the Rears.
Chris Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote