View Single Post
Old 06-02-2022, 11:36 PM   #19
d0ugparker
d0ugparker is a jewel in the roughd0ugparker is a jewel in the roughd0ugparker is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
Default Re: 2001 SL1 stalls slowing at a light, restarts again later

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Good progress!

According to your detailed notes, an intermittent crank sensor testing for wild variances in resistance in boiling water may be the lynchpin to this mystery.
I can't thank you enough for your help. Well, I can. I think I just did.

I just ran the car for twelve minutes without a stall, and drove it around for a few more minutes. I still have SERVICE and SECURITY lights, and I'm not ready to go on any long distance trips yet, but I'm getting there.

Some of those hot water readings showed multiple opens. No wonder it croaked.

Two related stories. The car would hiccup, and fight, and struggle to accelerate, and hesitate, and go stop go stop on occasion. If this symptom goes away now, I would connect those behaviors to the beginning failure of the CPS.

Secondly, I stopped to think about putting in the last crankshaft position sensor. There's an o-ring that I'll bet the CPS was tightened down to, but the CPS was never inserted down past the o-ring's detent in the plastic. In other words, I'll bet the CPS itself was never seated. That could explain how, when I was removing the bad one, it wasn't wrench tight. This new one was securely tightened down.

As the old unit, sitting in its mounting hole, potentially snugged against its o-ring but not fully seated, became looser and looser over time, the sensor's position would change its position, resulting in wilder, more erratic heartbeat data to the rest of the system. Not good. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If the cel remains on and you're able to decode stored errors, there may be a combination of genuine and false errors so be leery of strange codes until the engine runs without hiccupping. If hiccupping goes away then all or most error codes may disappear with any remaining as real errors. Post them if you can.
Understood. "Cel?" Ahh: Check Engine Light.

Will my FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) scanner pull more codes than I can get from my under the dash, OBD-II Konnwei?

Follow up is often forgotten once a solution is found. For the forum's purpose, completion is a way to say "thank you" to everyone who helped me and anyone else after me who ends up in similar straits.
d0ugparker is offline   Reply With Quote