View Single Post
Old 06-02-2022, 10:29 PM   #18
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 SL1 stalls slowing at a light, restarts again later

Good progress! An intermittent crank sensor may be likened to a person having a heart attack - the majority don't know the symptoms while in the midst of an attack and fall down in agony, unable to tell anyone they're having a heart attack. An intermittent crank sensor keeps the engine computer alive until it acts erratically. There's an error code, P0335 Crankshaft Position A Circuit Malfunction. The code is set when your car's primary computer, also known as the powertrain control module (PCM) is unable to detect a signal from the crankshaft position sensor. Well, how can it detect a faulty crank sensor if its in the middle of erratic behavior where every signal, coming and going are out of synch? Very few members here mentioned seeing P0335 on their readers. When mine croaked for the same intermittent issue, 'all the lights came on but nobody was home'. I didn't have a reader back then but it would be interesting if my L300 did store it until a restart erased it........ I think a relative's Nissan Sentra may have displayed P0335 - I don't remember. Testing for spark and checking for fuel on plugs was easier to surmise a faulty crank sensor. L300s are very difficult to remove any spark plug for a spark test and smell them for fuel. Not everything works as software designers assume. The irony of triggering P0335 in the midst of an electronic heart attack is..............

According to your detailed notes, an intermittent crank sensor testing for wild variances in resistance in boiling water may be the lynchpin to this mystery. Water boils at 212F. Combustion temps exceed 2000F so the engine block can easily exceed water boiling temps. Combustion chamber temps heat up oil, coolant, and engine block while exhaust tries to expel remaining combustion temperatures. Oil temps are around 250F and pressurized antifreeze can withstand up to 265F before the pressure cap vents.

If the cel remains on and you're able to decode stored errors, there may be a combination of genuine and false errors so be leery of strange codes until the engine runs without hiccupping. If hiccupping goes away then all or most error codes may disappear with any remaining as real errors. Post them if you can.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote