View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
Sachem
Sachem is on a distinguished road

Devil Gas gauge empty, stalls, steering brakes hard to manage, starts up afterwards

Hi folks,
I know there have been a number of threads about problems similar to these and the only thing I have done for this 2001 Saturn SL is add fuel booster and premium gas. The scanner code is PO446 (evaporative emission, system vent control, circuit). The problems we have been having is that ordinarily the car is going slowly or about to stop and then the car stalls and the gas pedal will not work, gas gauge says empty, steering and brakes are not as functional. After I stop the car and turn off, it turns on easily. Today I was going 30mph when it just went on the fritz and the gauge said empty and other symptoms. I pulled over fortunately and restarted the car and it had 1/4 tank of gas.
The mechanic is unwilling to do anything until it happens enough that we know what it is and they said code was connected to a gas cap and or sensor possibly in the fuel tank which is hard to get to? They call the car the demon. This problem was happening intermittently but more often recently and I do not want to be in traffic going at a speed and have this happen. If you have any suggestions given these symptoms I would greatly appreciate it. I am an auto ignoramus housewife trying to sort through forum threads to know where to begin and would appreciate any help as the car only has 80k miles on it and I have purchased winter tires and it has had a lot of work done on it the past 2 years so I would hate for this problem to nix our ability to drive around town. Thank you in advance!
Sachem is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links