View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2
Default Re: Intermittent vacuum leak

I have the same issue as well, when cold it will start up fine and run normally, even if I go on a trip and start it up in the next hour.

However if on a hot day or it just sits the sun the engine starts but idles extremely rough @ 500-650RPM and sounds like its sucking on a straw until I tap the throttle and it jumps to 4,000RPM and stays there before slowly coming down to 3,000RPM after ~30sec. If I stop-start the engine it just goes back the 4,000RPM without input (It still sounds like a straw).

The kicker is if I start driving it will go away after about 15mins, but the last time I drove it, it kept running at 4kRPM (out of gear) for an ~1h:30m and then settled down. I tried to get a shop to look at it but the CR-V incident shut down that option with them citing the liability law of Michigan.

So I left it that to decide on A. Fixing the trailing arm body side mount. or B. go to a dealer and ask for low mile '99 which I'm sure they'll charge ~5k for it, the Used car market is stupid inflated in Michigan.

P.S. the check valve on my booster still had its pressure when I attempted to take it off and cut my hand really good when it 'popped' off. So it's generating a lot of vacuum for a vacuum leak. The computer shows nominal values beside the B1S2 and EVAP Purge Code.
If any user helped you, be sure to rep them.

Late 99 SC2 2.5 Gen, 237k miles

"Well... Now my car looks like a blackbarry." - Medtactics, 2017
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote