View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #29
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Jerky Saturn problem narrowed down to EGR valve. What next?

The FSM describes the pending codes staying in history (with the SES light OFF) so a programmed number of engine cycles without the same error coming back will reset the history. Some error codes requires up to 40 cycles while others much less like the loose gas cap. With the SES light OFF all cars are supposed to pass emission inspection. Some shops may confuse pending codes as not allowable but the SES indicator being OFF means the car has passed all federal and state requirements to issue a new tag. Other than the bulb being burned out, no error codes (including pending ones) just means PASS.

I was surprised when my first inspection with my L300 didn't require the anal probe (tailpipe sniffer used for pre OBD I[?]) vehicles and passed immediately before the inspector plugged my car into the NYS DMV for the paperwork. That first inspection took less than 15 minutes. Now that my car is older the same inspection station takes 15 minutes to do the walk around for the mechanical inspections.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote