View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 04 V6 shudder/vibration on acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonsaab View Post
2004 Vue 3.5 V6 AWD with 150k miles/250k kms. Shudder and vibration on acceleration has been getting progressively worse over the last 6 months. It can happen in any gear and doesn't matter if itís normal or hard acceleration. When cruising at steady speed or coasting it is not noticeable. The worse case is when it's in a top gear and "lugging" up a hill. It does not seem to be engine related and the tranny has been shifting normally. I change the tranny fluid about once a year or two. It does not make a difference if the engine is warmed up or not. There is no check engine light. I was thinking engine/tranny mounts or ignition (plugs or coils). I have a laptop engine analyzer, perhaps I should check for misfires and such.

Also, suspension is all new and I can't find any play or issue with the front suspension or drivetrain. Motor mounts are orginal.

Any help is appreciated.
The 3.5 PCM is not timid when it comes to setting any misfire codes - so if you've not noticed a CEL I doubt if misfire from any cause is a factor (plugs, coil packs, valves, etc).

It sort of sounds like the torque converter clutch is not happy - could be impending mechanical failure but could also be incorrect ATF or perhaps ATF worn out.

If it were my Vue I'd find a shop that could replace all transmission fluid with engine and transmission operating. I'm not talking a "flush" but more of a operation where old fluid is replaced by new fluid.

This could be pricey as transmission and torque converter holds around 9.5 quarts and you should use ATF-Z1, ATF-DW1 or another highly rated Z1 substitute.

The alternative is to do at least three drain and fills (12 quarts) over several days to get as much clean fluid in transmission as possible.

If fluid don't help - contact a nearby GM dealer to arrange for a PCM update. There is a program to do 05-07 Vue's at no cost to customer but 04 were not included.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote