Thread: No cold air
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 06:45 PM   #17
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: No cold air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthin View Post
@Fdryer - as your humble student and having just completed a total restore on my AC - aren't the o-rings supposed to be lubed with mineral oil and not the PAG oil?
My replies are becoming less informative with more misinformation. Perhaps my seven decades on 'dis little orb we call Earth has already begun deteriorating of my mind. Mind you, I've never visited any ski area 18x until this past season. Most visits averaged around 5-6 hours with a break for lunch. And not as a casual skier as my quadriceps scream at me after several hours. NJ doesn't have a large ski area so steep terrain is relatively brief requiring repeated returns to enjoy carving.

You are absolutely correct for reminding me of mineral oil prelube on r134a O-rings, NOT mineral oil as I mistakenly posted. I cannot take offense if anyone were to address me as Blockhead for these infractions. Blundering idiot may be another description for me.

Pag oil is synthetic and readily absorbs moisture. If used as prelube on r134a O-rings, it can attract moisture and accelerate corrosion. Mineral oil doesn't attract moisture and always recommended in repair procedures despite the errant post I made.

My last ac repair wasn't successful last year as a discontinued compressor attracted me and didn't work. This led to a suspicion of a worn out txv requiring major work as I damaged the fittings when tightening the replacement into the evaporator coil block: several hours of delicate tube reforming allowed reusing the evaporator coil otherwise the coil would have to be replaced. I left the hvac side panel off to observe for any leaks of dye after recharging the system. None found. The timing belt I put on worked over a year or so before letting go (approximately 1500 miles). A replacement engine cost me around $2500+. A replacement compressor was standing by from last winter but engine death earlier this year halted repairs so I gave the compressor to my go-to shop to put it in since the engine was being replaced and the ac system was opened. The replacement engine worked flawlessly as I put on over a thousand miles since getting my car back. For whatever reason, ac was supposed to work but it didn't. My repair shop mentioned to me to return the car for them to check, suspecting a leak (maybe it was never filled as very little refrigerant was left when I put gauges on). With my uv light and time on my hands, I searched for dye markers everywhere but didn't find any. I evacuated and monitored the vacuum with one or two suspicious hiccups but went ahead before refilling. I guesstimated refrigerant amount from my 80lb canister by comparing low/high side pressures with service manual specs charted with ambient temps and humidity to avoid over filling. That was last week. Today was the second time to use ac on a warm day, without detecting any loss of cooling. I have a temperature probe in the center vent. Garage temps showed 50F center vent@70F ambient. Today showed the same 50F center vent temps@75F ambient. I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed that the hiccups during evacuation were inexplicable events and not a hint of an intermittent leak........ My flawless records of ac repairs are broken with my L300. It's no different from any other vehicle ac system but my good fortune has run out.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote