Thread: Mmo
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #23
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: Mmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapybob View Post
If you look at post #145 in that thread the valvetrain is immaculately clean compared to what my previous DOHC looked like, and yet his piston rings were still caked and baked in sludge. I can't even imagine how bad mine must have been.
Well, the valve-train (and head in general) is no indication of anything: look at where the heat meets the block under where the TCC would go--it's easy to see that the head does not even remotely match the condition of the block, indicating that it has been recently replaced. Post #147 indicates that the head was replaced just one month before the tear-down (the head gasket was replaced, at least, so it's almost certain the head was being replaced, or at the very least, cleaned well).

Quote:
Maybe I'll put synthetic and a cleaner additive (seafoam or mmo or rislone) in the SOHC I got. Its not using much oil, I don't think, and I have plenty of synthetic sitting around to last a few years
If you have it, you might as well use it--even if it doesn't ultimately prevent the classic oil burning problem, it will certainly extend the time that it takes to develop.

Quote:
The other DOHC I still have is anther story. It uses lots of oil. I did put Seafoam in it recently, but based on this I don't give it much hope of fixing it. Maybe in the spring I'll give the soaks a try on it and try to see if it helps any. It would cost a fortune to feed it synthetic, so that's out unless consumption drops.
You might as well give it a few soaks--$3 for a quart of MMO (or a bit more, for Seafoam) is way cheaper than a rebuild. It's not a guaranteed or 100% fix, by any means, but based on others' experiences, there's at least a decent chance that it will improve things a bit, and even if it only saves you 2 quarts of oil in the rest of the time you have the car, it will have paid for itself.
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote