View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 02:02 AM   #70
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: High engine fan speed in cold weather...a brief story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
How fast does your car warm up? My car is blowing hot air in 1/2 mile and up to temp in one mile even on 30 degree days.
Engine warm up is reasonably quick and seems very similar to what you've described. While the engine idle speed is dropping more quickly than it had with the old factory installed TPS it is not quickly enough. It may reach ~800 RPM after about three minutes, but that number is still too high. (BTW, that number would be significantly higher if it was with the older TPS.) If the car is at a standstill long enough and I'm waiting for a traffic signal to change while the engine idles at 800 RPM, then the condenser fan will engage at its highest speed. (Again, the difficulty is that the idle RPM remains too high for too long causing the cooling fan to engage.) After that has happened I sometimes will go through the intersection and quickly find a place to park with the engine on and the transmission in gear. After about a minute or more, the idle RPM usually drops to the "magic number," 750. Once that RPM has been reached for a requisite amount of time the cooling fan will shut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
...so with "past one mark to the right" I initially thought meant one mark past cold.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
But like I noted I can happily lend you a Foxwell NT510 Elite which does data logging. Just let me know. I have a GM vehicle in the household so I could activate/pay for the GM software as well. I don't mind because I can use it myself.
I appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind!
374K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad... now Russia?!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote