View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2
Default Re: Saturn SL1 Radio and bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylm View Post
So I took off the faceplate of my Saturn Radio thinking I could replace the light bulbs. they are soldered to the main board.
You'd have to unsolder the bad bulbs, purchase new ones, then solder the new ones on. But before you could even begin, you'd have to remove the circuit board from the head unit housing. You can see in your picture the bent tabs that hold the board in place. I see three in your picture, but there could be more. You'd have to bend them out of the way to remove the board. And notice that the one on the bottom left is soldered to the board. So you'd have to de-solder that one before bending it out of the way.

It's a decent amount of work. But honestly, for as little as those OEM units cost on Ebay or a local salvage yard, you're probably better off buying a good, used replacement unit.

Good luck!
'97 SL1, 136K, Auto, Mint Green (SOLD 146K)
'99 SL2, 126K, Auto, Silver (SOLD 149K)
'97 SL1, 136K, Manual, Burgundy (Gifted to Brother 138K)
'02 SL2, 149K, Auto, Light Gray/Silver
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote