SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   AC compressor, DCV11A to DCV14G swapout possible ? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272718)

Nickle 08-11-2022 02:49 PM

AC compressor, DCV11A to DCV14G swapout possible ?

Hey folks, DCV11A’s seem to have become ‘unobtainium’. We need to talk about AC compressor interchangeability and what, if any creativity may be needed.

[B]Background:[/B]
* My 96 SW2 DCV11A ( center suction port ) leaked at the shaft, lost its oil and has locked up.
* I have good AC tools/capability and need a solution good for at least a few years.

[B]Poor DCV11A Availability: [/B]
* C52 went with a Four Seasons rebuilt DCV11A back in June, but that no longer seems to be an option.
[url]http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270794[/url]

* Rockaut* has nothing in DCV11As … rebuilt OR new.
* Eb*y listings are expensive, dicey, or both … unbranded, conflicting info in the listing … not encouraging.
* Amaz*n lists a rebuilt DCV11A. It allegedly works for DCV11A or DCV14A, but notes it differing from a DCV14G ( despite the listing including the OEM number for a DCV11A, 21030859 ).

I don’t are about the electrical connector, if that is the difference. I just need a compressor that will fit mechanically and work reliably, with a well-flushed system, new condenser, and new dryer.

This is C52 quoting OldNuc in the post above:
“ All of the Saturn compressors are basically identical. There are differences in the clutch assembly and the physical configuration of the suction and discharge ports, but the guts are the same. The model number differences are minor and the original breakdown of the model specs is not available AFIK.

There are actually only 2 different compressors but 4 or 5 different clutch connectors so finding a match is usually not real difficult.

There are about 5 different clutch electrical connectors so that has to match and the location of the suction port on the back end has to match. At that point they all swap.”

That [U]last line[/U] has me thinking … go with a new DCV14G from RockAut* for $212 ???

Weigh in please, and thanks in advance !

fdryer 08-11-2022 03:14 PM

Re: AC compressor, DCV11A to DCV14G swapout possible ?

Search for a recent thread (within the past few months) about S-series ac compressors. The ability to rewire the power connector may be relatively easy but you'll have to research which compressors are not interchangeable because of the rear suction port dimension differences making it difficult to nearly impossible to interchange compressors using two different suction ports. The suction hoses are sized differently too. The recent ac thread was never resolved with an answer, left open. That thread also has several images of the two rear suction ports and hose fittings. Hopefully I'm mistaken and you can use the DCV14G as is without the frustration the recent poster has in adapting compressor hose fitting to match his replacement compressor. He can't find a new replacement hose.

Nickle 08-11-2022 05:22 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

I think you are referring to the thread that I referenced inline, and yes, I didn’t see any conclusion reached for line-to-compressor compatibility.

I checked the ports [U]diameter[/U] of my DCV11A, and it matches that of the DCV14G specs on RockAut*.

The ports may differ in whether they are recessed for o-rings or not recessed for flat seals.

I have my OEM hoses and newer Four Seasons ones, both of which assume o-rings I believe. I can hunt down yard hoses if push comes to shove.

The pulley diameters and number of grooves match as well.

Mounting holes are a concern. The bracket on the suction side is flat steel and easily modified if need be. The bracket on the clutch side, not so much because it is a cast part.

Other thoughts on how using a DCV14G for a DCV11A might be a bad idea ???

fdryer 08-11-2022 06:36 PM

Far from being an expert, the S-series variable displacement compressors are basically all the same to serve the same interior cabin volume and possibly wagons. This would be one way to determine overall compatibility. The VDC is a bit strange but works as I have one in my L300 V6. The castings may be different to suit mounting in different GM engines and maybe different displacement (rockauto might have specs). When new, my car would freeze on hot/humid days on the turnpike after spending time outdoors. I would stop in the nearest turnpike rest stop, take a bird bath to wash off sweat and feel refreshed while cruising the next hour and a half or more on the way home. Sipping southern style unsweetened iced tea with lemon wedges to stay awake.

Your search made you aware of the O-ring or flat seal suction ports of the two compressors. If you perform this repair yourself, take the time to do it right without any short cuts, use the correct oil replenishment, use all new O-rings lubed with mineral oil (only), no lube on flat seals, ensure all fittings are clean and free of corrosion preventing a pressure proof seal then evacuate the system. Once evacuated and vacuum pump shut off, gauge valves closed, observe for leak back of atmospheric pressure seeping back into this evacuated system. If zero leak back after 15-30 minutes, go ahead and refill with refrigerant. Hopefully you restore full factory ac function, the target of every ac repair.