SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Swapping the VT25E for the 4T45E transmission! (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181035)

imseanross 05-29-2012 06:13 PM

Swapping the VT25E for the 4T45E transmission!

2003 Saturn Vue VT25E VTI to 4T45E Transmission Swap

Here's what I have so far.

Parts Needed:
What GM Said
"They say the 2003 Saturn Vue cannot accept any other transmission, and no dealer or independent shop will put any other transmission in"
I'm sorry, but that is false information GM.

What I can Guess
4T45E Transmission
Transmission Wiring Harness
Drive Axles
Wheel Hubs
Drivetrain Control Module will need to be flashed (Cobalt)

I'm getting this together for whatever mechanic I end up taking it to as I really don't have the time (or skill level) to really do this on my own.

Any help would be great! Thanks.

tiger862 05-29-2012 10:43 PM

Re: Swapping the VT25E for the 4T45E transmission!

Need to find a wrecked 2006-2007 Vue with 2.2L auto.
Pull harness for trans and all related parts. Get a wiring diagram for your vue and one for vue that you borrowed parts from. Remember GM can't program TCM without vin and don't know of any one or any way TCM can be programmed. Maybe look on some racing sites that have a computer reprogrammer that will let you set shift points your self. Why you need diagrams of both vehicles is so all signals needed from motor to trans will be there. If you get TCM with trans it should be already programmed but if something go wrong then you might need ecm as well. I do know bcm will not work.

imseanross 05-30-2012 09:45 AM

@tiger862 - Thanks for the input, I think that is probably the best way to go about it.

Now I just need to find one!

far2grumpy 05-30-2012 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=imseanross;1882518]@tiger862 - Thanks for the input, I think that is probably the best way to go about it.

Now I just need to find one![/QUOTE]

According to GM parts book - TCM part number for 03-04 TCM is 24222126 - this would be VTI (you might confirm by looking at yours).

Parts book lists 05-07 TCM (4T45-E) with part number 24232808.

You can Google to locate possible sources.

d.j1234 08-18-2012 11:11 PM

I just did a complete swap on my 2004 vue from cvt trans to the 4t45e transmission it is possible for all of you guys out there that are wondering i did do it and it does drive.there is alot of work involved, i had to do alot of modifications cutting the cradle to fit the new trans i had to make all of my transmission mounts except for the front one which is the only one that you can buy you need a complete harness motor and inside the car from front to back because the whole wiring is completly different. the axles i ended up mking myself because i used a 2005 malibu transmission if you do do this sway get a vue trans that way the axles will work and no modifications will be needed. i didnt need to get new hubs because i used the old axles and just modified them so im not sure if you would need to buy them or not. i had to get the engine module reflashed for a 2006 because the transmission module that i got was an 06 and my ecm would cause the car to run ritch and throw engine codes. the local saturn deal can reflash its just an hour of labor the trans will work without a reflash and shift just fine the engine just wont. i can go into more depth if anyone has any questions i would gladly help you out the best i can on here but it is possible.

jimmie504 10-06-2012 07:34 PM

:yes: Good news to all those having endure the CVT/VTI transmission failures in the Saturn Vue/Ion from 2002 to 2005 and missed the GM recall. There is a valid solution to your problems, i.e., Transmission swapping from CVT/VTI to a 4 Speed Automatic or 5 speed manual, depending if you want to do the work or have someone do it for you. Most recently, I swapped by CVT out of my 2003 Saturn Vue 2.2L 4 cyl ecotec engine for a 4 speed automatic 4T45-E, which was mated also in the 2005 and up Saturn Vue. I went to Picknpull and retrieved a 2003 Alero 4 speed transmission after some research of the Ecotec engine in cars with those engines. I boought the Transmission, Wiring Harness, mounts and Transmission Control module, for I anticipated there would be some difficulty mounting the transmission. The transmission bolted to the engine, but not the engine/transmission cradle. There are 3 mounts to be concerned with. The front, back and side. After mounting the 4t45 transmission, I had tyo change the wiring harness which leads to the valve body. The harness on the CVT valve body is rectanglar, while the one on the 4t45-e is round.
The miner differences is the input speed sensor is located on the outside, verses inside the cvt or at the wheel hub. The complete wiring harness that lead to the ECU/ECM to the TCU/TCM and to the speed sensor and fuse mount must be obtained for a successful connection. The gear ratio and/or setting is already programed in the TCM from the 03 Alero. Cars that are compatible to Saturn Vue or Ion are, Chevy Malibu 04/08, Cobolt, cavalier, Saturn L200, Alero and etc. You can reflash the CVT 0 Transmission Control Unit, or obtained the TCM from the car you obtain the transmission from. Also, on the axles, you can use your own cv half joint by removing the extended axel and carrier bearing.
The ideal for swapping the tranny came from this forum.

HENRYPINKS 10-08-2012 11:16 PM

[QUOTE=jimmie504;1920091]:yes: Good news to all those having endure the CVT/VTI transmission failures in the Saturn Vue/Ion from 2002 to 2005 and missed the GM recall. There is a valid solution to your problems, i.e., Transmission swapping from CVT/VTI to a 4 Speed Automatic or 5 speed manual, depending if you want to do the work or have someone do it for you. Most recently, I swapped by CVT out of my 2003 Saturn Vue 2.2L 4 cyl ecotec engine for a 4 speed automatic 4T45-E, which was mated also in the 2005 and up Saturn Vue. I went to Picknpull and retrieved a 2003 Alero 4 speed transmission after some research of the Ecotec engine in cars with those engines. I boought the Transmission, Wiring Harness, mounts and Transmission Control module, for I anticipated there would be some difficulty mounting the transmission. The transmission bolted to the engine, but not the engine/transmission cradle. There are 3 mounts to be concerned with. The front, back and side. After mounting the 4t45 transmission, I had tyo change the wiring harness which leads to the valve body. The harness on the CVT valve body is rectanglar, while the one on the 4t45-e is round.
The miner differences is the input speed sensor is located on the outside, verses inside the cvt or at the wheel hub. The complete wiring harness that lead to the ECU/ECM to the TCU/TCM and to the speed sensor and fuse mount must be obtained for a successful connection. The gear ratio and/or setting is already programed in the TCM from the 03 Alero. Cars that are compatible to Saturn Vue or Ion are, Chevy Malibu 04/08, Cobolt, cavalier, Saturn L200, Alero and etc. You can reflash the CVT 0 Transmission Control Unit, or obtained the TCM from the car you obtain the transmission from. Also, on the axles, you can use your own cv half joint by removing the extended axel and carrier bearing.
The ideal for swapping the tranny came from this forum.[/QUOTE]

Good! I'm about to do this swap I have a 2003 awd 2.2 Vue. Why did you go for the Alero tans. Is there any difference to other 2.2 4t45e? Is there any other advise or tip you can post to improve this project?

ruley73 10-10-2012 11:05 PM

[QUOTE=HENRYPINKS;1920625]Good! I'm about to do this swap I have a 2003 awd 2.2 Vue. Why did you go for the Alero tans. Is there any difference to other 2.2 4t45e? Is there any other advise or tip you can post to improve this project?[/QUOTE]

This swap won't work in your case. It is important to note that this swap works with FWD models, but not AWD models.

jimmie504 10-13-2012 11:31 AM

Even an AWD Saturn Vue will work with modifications, i.e., you will have to remove the drive axel for the AWD and convert it to a FWD only. I used only the 03 Alero 2.2L 4 cyl ecotec engine transmission. I had to change on the side and back mounts. The transmission bolted perfectly to the engine, but not to the cradle. I used the wiring harness for the valve body (14 color coded wires for the 4t45-e transmission vs. 20 color code wires for the CVT, Pink wire which goes to the fuses, two(2) input speed sensor and (2) output speed sensor. Any 4t45-e unbolted from the 2.2L 4 cyl ecotec engine will do, it is simply the work involved.:hmm:

jimmie504 01-23-2013 09:44 PM

This is an update to the VTi/CVT swap for a 4t45-e transmission in a saturn vue. After some extensive modifidications, I will provide the following.
The 4t45 will bolt up to the 2.2L ecotec. What needs to changed is the TCM control module. Rather than simply changing the TCM, you will have an option, that is, change the ECU and TCM, to a Powertrain Control module, even though some of the term ECU and powertrain (PCM) or interchangable. I will explain why. The TCM on the saturn vue (03) has a number of features that would be confusing. The Saturn TCM wire harness contains the following;

Pin/cavity wire color circuit no. function
1 - - -
2 ye 657 Trans fluid pressure sensor sig.
3-5 - -
6 pur 401 OSS low signal
7-10 - - -
11 pur/wht 5506 Ratio Contr. Motor B1 low control
12 - - -
13 D-Grn 5507 Ratio Control mtr. A2 low control
14 L-grn/wht 5505 Ratio Control mtr. A1 low contrl
15 --------
16 D-blu/wht 5502 TCC Enable Solenoid Valve low ctl
17 --------
18 blk/wht 771 Trans range switch sig A
19 -----
20 OG/blk 586 TFT senor low
21-28 ----
29 blk 452 low ref
30 PK/blk 5501 TCC Enable solenoid valve high
31 OG/blk 5504 Ratio Vontrl B2 low
32-43 ----
44 ye/blk 5500 TCC Pressure Contrl solen vav low
45 BN 418 TCC Press. Contrl Sol. vav high
46-48 --
49 wht 776 Trans. Range Swtch sign P
50 wht 5503 line press. contrl sol val low
51 d-blu 1530 line press contrl sol val high
52 gray 773 trans. range swtch sig. C

The 4t45 transmission contrains:

function pin

Shift sol. 1-2 A lt-green
Shift sol. 2-3 b yel/blk
line pressure High c red/blk
line pressure low d lt-blu/wht
+12 volt ign. e pk
Not Used f-k
TFT high l yel/blk
TFT low m blk
Trans. fluid press swt. A n pnk
Trans fluid press swt C p red
Trans. fluid press swt B R dk-blu
Input SS high S red/blk
TCC PWM t brn
TCC Release swtch, u yel
TCC Speed v dk-blu/wht
not used w

The Ratio Control Motor A and B is low circuit references. Thereofore you will have to obtined a TCM stand alone and have the module flashed and reprogramm to the 4t45 specification.

If you connect the vues tcm, it do not have the lockup mechanism to lock the Torque converter and the results would be a code in reference to Solenoid B circuit open or short. It will not allow it to shift and will be stuck in first gear. You will have to add resistors to the ratio control motor circuit which will provide the correct ratio for the gears. Initially I obtained a 2003 alero PCM and then a 2002 sunfire. These modules contains IAC coil circuits wire color blue/wht - blue/blk - grn/whit and grn/blk. however on the 2003 saturn there is not connections. Better to obtain a 2005 or above PCM. You can obtain diagram pinouts on the Ecotec forum, CobaltSS.net or scrib.com for diagrams on CVT, ecotech engines and etc. Hope this information will be helpful.

HENRYPINKS 01-27-2013 03:42 PM

Hi, I'm making the swap, I did all the mechanic part, I'm about to buy the wire harness, I have some questions:
1-Should I buy the hole engine alero harness Or I will only need transmission harness?

2-Will I need the alero TCM or can I use my vue TCM and reprogram it?

3-You said you can buy the front transmission mount, where can I find it?

Thanks a lot! I will post pictures of the hole project.

jimmie504 01-27-2013 08:45 PM

You will have to format the TCM module on the saturn vue and place the new data for the 4t45-e transmission. That means, THE PCS function/GM function, viz:

Shift Solenoid (1-2) or A (1-2 shift solenoid valve control)
Shift Solenoid (2-3)B (2-3 shift solenoid valve control)
Line Pressure Hi (PCs solenoid valve high)
Line Pressure Low (PC solenoid valve low)
12 volt
TFT postive Trans. fluid temp
TFT neg trans. fluid temp
Trans Fluid Pressure Switch Signal A
Trans Fluid Pressure Switch sig. C
trans fluid Press. switch B
Input Speed sensor signal Hi
TCC PWM TCC PWM solenoid Valve control
TCC Release Switch TCC release switch signal
TCC Speed neg. (ground.

You have to also remember the correct gear ration
1st. 2.957
2ns 1.623
3rd 1.000
4th 0.683
Rev. 2.143

Your wire harness may need to be modified, removing the "ratio control motor (stepper motor) wiring since they will not be used." The Ratio control motor is like PWM - Pulse width Modification. If you get an Alero PCM Powertrain control module, then splicing or replace the entire wire harness, that means, that pcm will control the whole engine, including the transmission and that is a headache in itself.

You can download the 4t45 software/firmware or you can have someone at a transmission repair shop or dealership to do this. as for as the Body control module, I had no problem, providing I did not use the PCM.

"OR" you will have to find a stand alone Transmission Control Module and place it in there including the wiring harness.:hmm:

jimmie504 01-27-2013 08:55 PM

PSS Picknpull or automotive wrecking yard is a good cheap source for the mount, but it will need to be modified. I drilled hole in the mount and place extension bolt with center peices to tighten it. Make sure the transmission drain pan do not hit rub against the craddle or you will have a leaking transmission to repair below. Good luck.:D

HENRYPINKS 02-24-2013 01:38 PM

Hi, I'm still confusing about how to connect the 4t45 trans wires to the VUE's harness, can you provide a diagram or explain how to connect them, I will buy you some beers. Thanks in advance.

jimmie504 02-25-2013 05:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Henry, Let me give you an update on your connecting the wiring harness and TCM module. First thing first/

The 4t45 wiring harness connector, see attachment. shift 1-2 and 2-3; line pressure control high/low, Initial 12V+ - TFT high/low, TFP A,C,B - PWM speed, PWM Engage, TCC Pressure control high/low and Input Speed Sensor.

Get a stand alone transmission TCM to save time office a Saturn ION 04-05
Option, if you use a malibu, alero or any other control module which combines ECM/TCM it is called a Powertrain Module, that means replacing you ECM and TCM and your saturn vue engine must be a 2.2L L6. If it is 2.2L L4 that a stand alone is sufficient. Let me reiterate that:

2.2l L6 will adopt a Powertrain Control Module i.e., Engine and Transmission control module combined.

2.2l L4 will adopt a stand alone TCM.

Additional Option, Formatting and Re-Write Transmission Control Module on Saturn Vue to reflect the 4t45 OS, which will include pinout connection.

TCC Engage is shift 1-2/2-3, but it will not shift becuase the TCM is a continuous variable, so there is not second gear. TCC Pressure Control, Line Pressure Control, Trans-fluid temp, and Stepper Motor or ratio control. Delphi and GM permitted the TCM to be rewritten.

Hoping this information is helpful in which direction you will take. It is more insight than I started with.

jimmie504 02-25-2013 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
PS here is the 4t45 pinout diagrams. In addition, your Output speed sensor is attached to the rear of the transmission and it controls your speed odometer and your Input speed sensor is located in the transmission, it controls your RPM. Depending on your 2.2L ecotech engine, wheather it is a L4 or L6, one comes with ABS/traction control that attaches your vehicle speed sensor (VSS) located at the front passenger wheel while the L4 do not have the ABS, must merely the pump.

The common codes thrown using the Saturn TCM or P0964, 0966, 0842, 1882-1885 and 1888, as well as standard code 0700, 0701 all related to TCM malfunctioning.

The flash update, depending on the module you use will correct the setting, including the BCM. Otherwise, the car/truck will run shaky.

jimmie504 02-25-2013 06:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
attachment

HENRYPINKS 04-04-2013 04:46 AM

Hi, This is what a GM experience programmer said about all this:

"i don't know why jimmy talks confidently about reflashing the VUE TCM for a 4T45E transmission. it is quite impossible. there are no aftermarket tools for modifying the programming in this oddball TCM, only factory GM flash for a VIN that this TCM was used for. but this TCM only came in saturn VUEs. so the only calibrations available from GM to flash into it are based on VUE VINs, and none of them have 4T45E transmissions.

the T42 will not work. it is not a standalone unit and requires a functioning ECM (E38, E67, etc) on the CAN bus.

your only options is to (1) use an aftermarket standalone TCM (expensive)...

...or (2) use the P11 alero PCM. you can try to (a) run the engine and trans with it, getting rid of the VUE ECM/TCM pair completely, or (b) try to wire in the P11 somehow just to control the trans as i suggested and let the VUE ECM control the engine.

(a) will probably get you into trouble with the VUE BCM. (b) will require remapping both the VUE ECM ($300) to disable all the transmission codes bc the original VUE TCM and transmission are gone and the ECM will look for them, and the P11 alero PCM ($225) to disable the VATS and other stuff. (b) may be possible, but tricky."

03vuevti2af23 04-04-2013 05:27 PM

I have done a couple of these swaps and have never used an Alero PCM.

These vehicle communicate with GM LAN data wires that exchange information between the modules and the BCM.

I have used 05-07 Saturn Ion TCM in my applications. I have also done the swap numerous times with the Aisin AF-23, (you need to use the 02-03 Vue V-6 TCM for that one). Essential what I did was get a complete 2005-2007 Saturn Ion engine wiring harness. You have to carefully split the harness and isolate the wires for main trans plug, neutral safety switch plug, speed sensor plug, GM LAN wires, (two sets circuit 1500 and 1501 tan and tan with white stripe), and the wires associated that plug into the fuse block connector.

With this you must remove the CVT wiring from the Vue harness in the same manner. The wires at the fuse block connector C2 are the ones that power the TCM, neutral safety, and starter crank signal. You must look at the pinout and place the wires from the replacement harness in the Vue fuse block connector corresponding with the appropriate circuit. The circuit numbers are slightly different between the Ion and Vue, but the color and function are the same. The two GM LAN wires, (Tan and Tan/white), from the VUE ECM connect to The TCM and exchange data between them, and the second set go from the TCM through the ABS module and onto the BCM. The connector pins at the TCM suck and are very brittle, so I have cut, spliced, soldered, and heat shrank the GM LAN wires with no problems.

Once completed properly the whole set up works with no warning lights. The only issue is in the way the Keyword Serial Data circuit operates on the Vue Vs. the Ion. On the Vue that circuit travels through the TCM and the Ion does not. I simply bypassed the wiring through the ECM to ABS and BCM and have not had an issue.

So to answer everyone's questions yes you can use the TCM from an ION, Cobalt, G5, etc. No PCM,s here.

This information is offered as-is with no warranty or guaranty it will work for you. I am not responsible for damage to you vehicle, yourself, or your marriage. Good luck.

jimmie504 05-22-2013 10:07 AM

The 4t45-e is a harder swap as far as the TCM which drives the module. The only viable solution - which of course is much simplier, is to use both the saturn Ion 05-06 TCM and ECM, but this will also have an affect on the BCM, which would have to be changed also. Standalone will remedied this confusion. Reflashing or programming it (TCM) gets into the data aspects of the module. Formatting and re-install an Operating system is an easy task, whether it be on a desktop, lab top, game station, vehicle, or CPU central processing unit. Leave that at that.
For all individuals wanting the easy route for a transmission swap, acquire an af23 transmission, Af33 TCM from 02-03 Saturn Vue and front and rear mounts, and on the TCM add pin 35 and 36 Serial Data Wire to your wire harness.

jimmie504 05-22-2013 10:21 AM

Trial and Error is a method by which we obtain perfection, because with every trial, We refine and harness the process to completion. Even GM was not aware that the Saturn CVT swap would be overcome, for had they knew, they would have simply resolve those issues and replaced, rather than trying to repair. Eventually they found solutions, but for those of Us who had to figure this thing out, it was a journey - gaining experience to help others in needs of hard economical times. We did not charge a dime, offered our information and said good luck. And once the job was well done, you smile and said proudly, "I done that...."

RedlineWannabe 06-01-2013 12:42 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hello, newb here. I've been a lurker for about a year, and joined about a month ago. I'd just like to say "thanks" for being my go to source for Saturn info. It was this forum that inspired me to do the 4T45E swap.

I followed 03vuevti2af23's suggestion, and bought '06 Vue 4T45E trans, '06 Ion TCM, and '07 Ion wiring harness. The mechanicals are done, initial fluid in trans, trans lines spliced to old CVT cooler after flushing with 2 cans of aerosol trans line cleaner, and harness is 98% complete. I've got all of the wires swapped to the fusebox connector, but the one that isn't making sense is the neutral safety/gear select plug, 10 small pins/2 large pins. On the VTi trans plug, the purple output goes directly to the starter, and there is no purple wire in the Ion harness.

Instead of just taking from this site, I figured I would try to contribute in some small way, so I did take pix of the differences in the cradles and mounts. I had read how other had modified their VTi cradle, but I could see that was going to be quite a job. The mounts all look similar, but when you go to bolt things up, they don't. Hopefully my pix attach OK. The VTi cradle is on top of the 4T45E cradle in the pix. The front mount is offset, as well as the rear, and the brackets are different as well. The top mount is very different as well. Finding a yard that will work with you on obtaining these items is a must, as some don't keep the donor vehicle around once the big ticket items are removed. I paid $300 for the trans, harness and TCM and they put a 90 day warranty on all of it. I called two weeks later and they dug up the mounts and cradle for another $300.

I will post results and pix when complete.

far2grumpy 06-01-2013 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You've come a long way with this project ... great work.

I've attached engine start diagram for 06 Vue with 2.2 depicting clutch and auto trans park neutral safety switch wiring (crank signal from ignition to PNP = yellow wire - start signal from PNP to starter relay = purple wire).

I also have start diagrams for 03 Vue and 06 Ion but they're too large to post.

Send an email address by private message if you'd like those diagrams.

far2grumpy 06-02-2013 02:17 PM

I emailed the requesting wiring diagrams ... I'll update this post for future users.

Its odd but all VUE’s with 2.2 - either auto or manual trans – lack a start relay – explaining why large gauge wire is needed to latch starter solenoid (line is usually fused at 30 amps).

The 06 ION does have a separate start relay. I have no documentation indicating if ION 4T45E PNP switch is different than switch used on VUE’s with same trans.

The ION start circuit is different than what we VUE folks are used to. Turning ION key to START causes the ECM engage the starter until engine starts. The VUE is not so exotic.

Let me know if you need anything else.

RedlineWannabe 06-02-2013 06:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, with far2grumpy's help, I got a little farther along this weekend. Also, I have some more pix of differences for the install.

The trans cooler lines are spaced the same, but the 4T45E has one that is deeper than the other. The two pictures show the VTi lines in the front of the 4T45E lines. I utilized the VTi cooler after flushing it with two cans of cooler cleaner, $13 each at the local parts store. This stuff is volatile, but effective. The second can was probably overkill, but more metal shavings did come out, so I guess it was worth it. I used the 4T45E's cooler line connection at the trans, splicing to the original VTi cooler with 3/8" double-ended brass hose connectors, and clamps, locating the clamps carefully so they won't rub each other or hoses or wires.

The CV shafts were replace with new from Rock Auto for ~$100. This was an AWD car, not any longer.

I'm very close to finishing this project, I just have questions on two wires that don't make sense yet. With far2grumpy's advice, I re-used the heavy gauge start wires from the original PNP(Park//neutral position) into the Ion replacement plug, yellow from the fusebox and purple to the starter. The first of two wires in question are the yellow on the round trans plug. On the Ion, this went to the fusebox. Following 03vuevti2af23's advice, I re-pinned everything to corresponding colors, but there was not like connection for this wire. Is there a pin on the fuse connector, or should this get spliced with another yellow? The only other yellow in the fusebox is the heavy gauge starter wire. There is another small yellow in the upper main trans plug, don't know what it's function is. Bottom line is I need to get a manual or DVD to dive into something this serious. I still will, just wondering if someone currently more knowledgeable than me can help. The second wire in question is the brown that I assumed was from the BCM or ABS connector on the Ion. It was next to the LAN wires. The Vue BCM has a similarly colored wire, I am confused as to whether to splice or if there is an order of connection or what the function of this wire is. Once I get the yellow and brown sorted out, I believe I will be ready to fire.

Thanks for any help, and I hope to keep documenting this to help others follow down the road.

hanster24 06-06-2013 10:08 PM

where can i get the flash firmware?

jimmie504 06-13-2013 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=RedlineWannabe;1984471]Well, with far2grumpy's help, I got a little farther along this weekend. Also, I have some more pix of differences for the install.

The trans cooler lines are spaced the same, but the 4T45E has one that is deeper than the other. The two pictures show the VTi lines in the front of the 4T45E lines. I utilized the VTi cooler after flushing it with two cans of cooler cleaner, $13 each at the local parts store. This stuff is volatile, but effective. The second can was probably overkill, but more metal shavings did come out, so I guess it was worth it. I used the 4T45E's cooler line connection at the trans, splicing to the original VTi cooler with 3/8" double-ended brass hose connectors, and clamps, locating the clamps carefully so they won't rub each other or hoses or wires.

The CV shafts were replace with new from Rock Auto for ~$100. This was an AWD car, not any longer.

I'm very close to finishing this project, I just have questions on two wires that don't make sense yet. With far2grumpy's advice, I re-used the heavy gauge start wires from the original PNP(Park//neutral position) into the Ion replacement plug, yellow from the fusebox and purple to the starter. The first of two wires in question are the yellow on the round trans plug. On the Ion, this went to the fusebox. Following 03vuevti2af23's advice, I re-pinned everything to corresponding colors, but there was not like connection for this wire. Is there a pin on the fuse connector, or should this get spliced with another yellow? The only other yellow in the fusebox is the heavy gauge starter wire. There is another small yellow in the upper main trans plug, don't know what it's function is. Bottom line is I need to get a manual or DVD to dive into something this serious. I still will, just wondering if someone currently more knowledgeable than me can help. The second wire in question is the brown that I assumed was from the BCM or ABS connector on the Ion. It was next to the LAN wires. The Vue BCM has a similarly colored wire, I am confused as to whether to splice or if there is an order of connection or what the function of this wire is. Once I get the yellow and brown sorted out, I believe I will be ready to fire.

Thanks for any help, and I hope to keep documenting this to help others follow down the road.[/QUOTE]
The brown wire is actually brown/black wire and it is your MFL or Malfunction Indicator Lamp. You will also see a blue wire which is your stop lamp. If you look on your 4t45 control module, you will see that all wires correspond to one another by color code. The Yellow wire goes into the transmission range which is connected to the powertrain module for which you do not have, but needs to replace the ecu. Go to autozone website and register, then once you register an account (free) list your saturn vue and ion. After registering, go to repair help, click on wire diagrams, then go to 04 saturn ion or 05 saturn vue. The diagrams are there. You'll know what to do then.

jimmie504 06-13-2013 11:27 PM

For the DYI, I would like to take opportunity to address the 4t45 in the 02-04 saturn vue. First, the parts needed would be 06 Saturn ION Powertrain control module (as the module is link to the transmission range sensor), the tcm (as this module is link to the Data connection, stop lamp, starter control, malfunction indicator and the CAN Bus system), and other mounting parts, axle and craddle.
Secondly, make sure that your vue 2.2 has the Electronically control throttle body position sensor TAC and APP, as this will play a crucial role in the wiring plug n play format when wiring in your powertrain system. You need to also change your body control module, because the powertrain controls the GM Lan high speed data connection. You will need to retrieve this from 05-06 saturn vue. Without this, the body control module will not beable to communicate this your transmission control module. It will run without it, but your speed odometer will indicate incorrect speed. For addition info, go to autozone cite.

dark7622 06-24-2013 10:33 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm also new at this conversion.

So far I have the 4T45E transmission bolted on to the engine (2.2l Ecotec)

I had used the top side mount from a 05 Ion, the transmission is a 05 Malibu.

I'm building the two mounts (front/rear) The front mount is just the original brackets cut off with some new steel added (2x2 angle iron) to reposition it. The rear is using a plate of 1/8 steel and the old bracket from the VTI transmission cut up and welded to the plate (with a couple more pieces of angle iron).

I had to cut up the cradle a lot so the transmission wouldn't hit and rub.

So I got a couple questions.

I got the wires (someone destroyed the harness so I just have a couple feet of wire on each plug of the 4T45E transmission) for the new tranny and I need to marry them into the existing wire harness.

What I need is diagrams for an 05 Saturn Ion harness and a 03 Saturn Vue with 2.5l engines. With this information I hope to marry the two harnesses.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get this information?

Also what has everyone done for CV axles, I noticed the CV axles I took out won't work with the new transmission, was there a make/model of a car that had the right size axles or do I got to get them custom made?

I look forward to getting this moving as soon as possible, trying to work on the wire harness this week but slim pickings finding the wire diagrams, or I simply don't know where to look I guess.

Joe

far2grumpy 06-24-2013 01:17 PM

I can provide wiring diagrams from GM service manual.

No guarantee they're 100% accurate but they beat having nothing.

Send email address using private message (left click on my screen name) if interested.

dark7622 06-24-2013 07:03 PM

HI everyone,

What about CV Axles??

Anyone have any luck with this issue?

Do I simply cut and match?

Joe

dark7622 06-25-2013 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=dark7622;1989999]HI everyone,

What about CV Axles??

Anyone have any luck with this issue?

Do I simply cut and match?

Joe[/QUOTE]

Something odd, I was told this was a 05 Malibu transmission yet on this site none of the CV axles match what I took of the transmission.

wholesaleimportparts.com/Chevrolet_Malibu_Axle_2005.php

They all show up as female on the passenger side but I had a male, the transmission came with the boot end still in the transmission on both sides. This makes me suspect that my transmission is not what it seems to be.

I counted the teeth and it has 34 on the spine that goes into the transmission. So does the original CVT axles, only thing wrong is the fact that where the seal ride is a lot smaller on the CVT axle then on the boot I took off the 4t45E transmission.

I'm thinking of checking out the 2007 vue model CV axles

wholesaleimportparts.com/Saturn_Vue_Axle_2007.php

Though I'm guessing since the passenger side is male I need two of the drivers side, which might make it a little longer then needed.

Thoughts? I have heard nothing on this subject.

Joe

RedlineWannabe 07-03-2013 09:46 PM

Update

Hello, all. Family emergencies have slowed progress on this conversion, but here is where it stands today: The yellow wire I had questioned was determined to be a power wire which came from C2/pin E5 on the Ion harness, as identified with the diagram help I got from [B]far2grumpy[/B] as circuit Ign1. I did some searching through my notes from when I converted the Vue harness, and I happened to have an Ign1 circuit open that had a pink wire for the CVT trans, this was underhood fusebox (UHFB)C2/pin B10. That took care of the yellow wire, the brown I had questions about is identified as AccVoltage with the suggestion by [B]jimmie504[/B] of using the wiring diagrams on the AutoZone site. I was already a member, but had never used the tech help there before. My 2003 Vue is not listed, but they have 2004-2005 listed, and I studied them pretty thoroughly, and did not find differences.

So, it runs, but will not shift out of first gear, but runs fine, other than the "reduced power" light is on along with the "service engine" light. I believe [B]03vuevti2af23[/B]'s suggestion of being able to use the stock BCM with a re-route of the Keyword Serial Data line, but I do not have ABS, and have checked the continuity of the brown/white from the ECM to UHFB C2/pinA1 to UHFB C3/pinF1 to Data Link Connector pin 7, and have connection all the way. My AutoZone scanner says it has no codes, but when I look at freeze-frame data, it has code U2106, which is no connection to TCM. I tried the ECM from my '04 manual, and it must be looking for the clutch switch because it will crank but no fire.

I have to say a special thanks to [B]far2grumpy[/B], as he was more than generous with his time and information. I have not found the CD set he has, I am wanting to purchase it/them so I have them.

I thought I sent a PM to [B]03vuevti2af23[/B], but maybe it did not send properly. I am open to suggestions.

The other thing I read while searching for info on Keyword Serial Data was a helpsite suggestion of ohming out the CAN lines, maybe I need a resistor to get my CAN resistance to 120 ohms? I need to see if it is at 60 ohms first, that will be another day, I've had enough.

[B]dark7622[/B], I knew when I converted my AWD to FWD at least the passenger CV shaft would be too short, and the junkyard wanted $35/axle. I figured for another $30 I'd start with new ones guaranteed to fit from RockAuto.com. I'm glad I did, slid right in and bolted right up.

dark7622 07-15-2013 04:06 PM

Hi Redline, I got two new ones (CV Axles) for a FWD 2007 Vue and they went right in and worked fine.

Currently I'm at the state you are in, I have the yellow wire from the neutral safety switch to a relay for the starter. Though when I looked over the diagram it shows the yellow wire going though the ECM CONT relay, did you do that?

Can you tell me how you wired up that yellow wire though the ECM relay?

I ended up with two wires that have no connection, one pink wire and that Acc brown wire.

Please let me know what you did so I can get mine at least running.

Joe

dark7622 07-16-2013 06:55 AM

I re-read what I posted.

I'm not quite at your state Readline, I can't get the motor to start, the starter turns over but will not run. I got to check a few things first of course, like if I got fire to the spark plugs and fuel.

Has anyone had such a problem?

Just so everyone knows.

I got a 2003 Saturn Vue with AWD 2.2L with the world famous VTI transmission.

I switched the tranny over to a Malibu 4t45E transmission, welded in new front mount, made new rear mount, used the Saturn ION top mount.

I got all the mechanicals in place, though I couldn't find a complete 2005 Saturn ION wire harness, the only Ion I could find had the wires cut when they pulled the engine. So I pieced together a harness and merged it with the Vue harness.

So other than not starting, everything appears to be working fine. I got a new relay for the starter using the yellow wire from the neutral safety switch.

I had only two wires left over that I didn't know what to do with (I think if I remember right) maybe three.

Accessory power wire
1 (had three but only two was needed it seems)Pink Power Ign wire
(I think, need to review) Key data Wire

Any idea's???

Joe

RedlineWannabe 07-16-2013 07:25 AM

[QUOTE=dark7622;1995055]Currently I'm at the state you are in, I have the yellow wire from the neutral safety switch to a relay for the starter. Though when I looked over the diagram it shows the yellow wire going though the ECM CONT relay, did you do that?

Can you tell me how you wired up that yellow wire though the ECM relay?

I ended up with two wires that have no connection, one pink wire and that Acc brown wire.

Please let me know what you did so I can get mine at least running.
[/QUOTE]

Dark-Sorry I haven't logged on for a couple of days. The yellow wire for the start relay on the Ion harness is much smaller gauge than that of the Vue, because on the Ion it only engages a start relay. far2grumpy had helped me with that, and I decided to re-use the original purple and yellow start wires from the Vue harness to carry the current to the solenoid.

As far as the pink wire, can you tell me what circuit it is for? I had a yellow wire left over on the Ion harness that was for circuit IGN1, and I had B10 open on UHFB C2 in the Vue harness that had B10 open, which originally had a pink wire. Hope this helps.

My project is stalled until I figure out how to get the Keyword Serial Data converted to something the BCM can understand. I'm going for help from our electrical/software engineer at work. The other option that I'm considering is putting a BCM from a manual trans vehicle, along with the harness. That requires removing the whole interior and dash, not something I'd look forward to, but it beats driving into my driveway and staring at the vehicle I can't use! :upset: I had tried my manual trans ECM on the auto, and without the clutch switch and who knows what else it didn't even fire.

Good luck, I will post again whether I find anything.

dark7622 07-16-2013 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=RedlineWannabe;1995192]Dark-Sorry I haven't logged on for a couple of days. The yellow wire for the start relay on the Ion harness is much smaller gauge than that of the Vue, because on the Ion it only engages a start relay. far2grumpy had helped me with that, and I decided to re-use the original purple and yellow start wires from the Vue harness to carry the current to the solenoid.

As far as the pink wire, can you tell me what circuit it is for? I had a yellow wire left over on the Ion harness that was for circuit IGN1, and I had B10 open on UHFB C2 in the Vue harness that had B10 open, which originally had a pink wire. Hope this helps.

My project is stalled until I figure out how to get the Keyword Serial Data converted to something the BCM can understand. I'm going for help from our electrical/software engineer at work. The other option that I'm considering is putting a BCM from a manual trans vehicle, along with the harness. That requires removing the whole interior and dash, not something I'd look forward to, but it beats driving into my driveway and staring at the vehicle I can't use! :upset: I had tried my manual trans ECM on the auto, and without the clutch switch and who knows what else it didn't even fire.

Good luck, I will post again whether I find anything.[/QUOTE]

I wonder in your case if taking the BCM out of the picture somehow would work.

SO you got the keyword wire going to something? I didn't know what to do with that wire so its going no where for me?

Joe

dark7622 07-16-2013 06:23 PM

Not sure about the yellow wire your talking about. There was a yellow wire from the Neutral safety switch I have going to a relay. The two thick wires in the original wire harness are going to the relay and the yellow wire from the switch is what controls the relay. This way the car can't be started in drive.

But right now I got to figure out why I can't start the car at all.

Like I said I have three unmated wires.

1 Ign pink wire
1 Keyword wire (Readline where did you hook this up to?)
1 Acces power wire

Any ideas guys?

RedlineWannabe 07-16-2013 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=dark7622;1995288]Not sure about the yellow wire your talking about. There was a yellow wire from the Neutral safety switch I have going to a relay. The two thick wires in the original wire harness are going to the relay and the yellow wire from the switch is what controls the relay. This way the car can't be started in drive.

But right now I got to figure out why I can't start the car at all.

Like I said I have three unmated wires.

1 Ign pink wire
1 Keyword wire (Readline where did you hook this up to?)
1 Acces power wire

Any ideas guys?[/QUOTE]

My Ion harness had a yellow wire that needed IGN1 power. The yellow wire you were talking about and took care of with the relay. My Vues don't have the start relay, the Ion does. You wired it with the relay, I wired it as original, having to place the heavier gauge wire into the harness for the neutral safety switch (PNP-Park-Neutral Position)

The pink wire is from the Ion harness end, or the engine end? The Keyword Serial Data line is what I am having trouble with currently. The brown ACC1 wire needs to only have power in Acc mode. If you put power to this wire while the engine is running, the car will shut off when you put it in drive. Not park, reverse, or neutral, but kills instantly in drive.

dark7622 07-17-2013 09:06 AM

HI Readline,

On the accessory power wire, I simply don't have it hooked up at all since I didn't have a wire to mate it with.

I think I'm good as far as the starter goes, I really didn't like the idea of such heavy gaged wires going though a switch, that's why we have relays. So I think I'm good with the setup I have with the extra relay in place.

The pink wire in question is an ign wire and it's coming from the block (fuse block).

I probably need to get a scanner so I can see if the ECM is reporting anything. The engine ran great before this experiment so it's pretty discouraging to have this problem. I expected worse case it didn't shift but not to have it run is a real bummer.

Someone could make some money selling the TCM and wire harness already done for this conversion LOL.

RedlineWannabe 07-19-2013 10:08 PM

[QUOTE=dark7622;1995388]HI Readline,

On the accessory power wire, I simply don't have it hooked up at all since I didn't have a wire to mate it with.

The pink wire in question is an ign wire and it's coming from the block (fuse block).

Someone could make some money selling the TCM and wire harness already done for this conversion LOL.[/QUOTE]

I found the ACC1 wire in the harness going to the BCM and spliced into it.

Pink wire-What connector and what location is it coming from? I can probably help you figure it out. I had a leftover pink in connector 2/position B10. That was what I used for the yellow wire from the trans that did not match up. Where did you put the yellow wire?

I agree on the kit thing. There are so many of these things on Craigslist it isn't funny. I originally measured up for the supercharged 3.8 out of my Bonneville, and the Bonneville wheeltrack is 4" narrower, and there is 4" more between the shock towers!:eek: I'd rather spend time on my classic 60's cars if I had the choice. I just want to finish this and move on and work on something else! I haven't had time to research lately, work will slow down after summer, then I can devote some time to it.

dark7622 07-21-2013 09:36 AM

I think I might have figured out my not starting car problem.

The TAN and Tan/wh lines, the connector to the TCM has two sets, pin 6, 7 and then 37,38.

I might have these in the wrong order, my wire harness was all cut up when I got to the salvage yard so I don't know and the circuit numbers are the same for both so I took a random chance.

Though I suspect now that they are crossed???

what I have going to 6,7 needs to go to 37,38 and vice versa. It's the only thing I can think of since most of the wires dealing with the transmission shouldn't have anything to do with the car not starting up.

Thoughts??

I know one set goes to the ECM directly and I suspect the other set goes to the BCM after flowing though the TCM.

dark7622 07-27-2013 04:47 PM

Quick update,

I'm guessing it doesn't matter which order the two LAN lines go in or out of the TCM. Didn't seem to have any effect.

Though now I found the pink ignition wire had no power when the car was turn to on. There is power coming from the block when the key is on, but when it gets to the TCM connector it's dry. Must be a bad wire.

So I ran a temp bypass and got the car to start up for a couple seconds, ran real rough.

I still have the ECM/BCM that came with the car (Saturn Vue 2003) but the TCM is out of a 2005 Saturn Ion.

Any thoughts?

Any details on what to do with the keyword data wire?

jimmie504 07-28-2013 10:43 AM

Won't work without swapping the ECM . Reason for it is because, LAN lines are highspeed, the ECM in the saturn is only CAN. If you get the TCM for the 4t45 transmission, then the module for the 4t45 only have keyword serial data pin 52 and CAN. Go to autozone, create an account, then click on repair help, 2005 Saturn Ion, wire diagrams. It has every pinout you'll need.
Pins 1 and 22 on the ECU is the LAN Lines connected to pins 25 and 26 of the TCM. Pins 13 and 19 comes from the ECU, bypass the ABS and into the BCM. You will have to fill me in on from what vehicles do you have 1) TCM, ECU and BCM. The transmission type 4t45 or what in order for me to walk you through this. That includes the Starting system.

dark7622 07-28-2013 11:10 AM

Hi Jimmie

Ok here is what I have so far

1, 4T45E transmission out of an 2005 Malibu
1, TCM from a Saturn Ion 2005
4, connectors (speed sensor, transmission, neutral switch, TCM) since wires was cut at the salvage yard so I had to wire this all together.

The car is a 2003 Saturn Vue AWD (now FWD) with a Ecotech 2.2l engine

I have the pin outs for all the connectors that go to the transmission (Saturn Ion 2005/6), there is no keyword serial coming from the transmission, currently it's coming from the Fuse block with no where to go.

I would also note I have the pin out for the Vue (2003) both say High speed GMLAN (CAN) +- wires. One doesn't say something different then the other, probably because they are both Saturn components just different years??

Also according to the pin out for the TCM connector the LAN lines are on pin 6,7 and 37,38. This totally doesn't match what you have given (25,26 and 13,19) which on my connector some of those (25, 13, 19) are not even used and 26 is the ISS low signal. Maybe the TCM and connectors are different for some other TCM other than a Saturn Ion 2005/6.

The problem with my connector diagram is that it doesn't say what set of LAN lines are for what, So I don't know which one is for connecting the ECU or not, they both read the same.

As far as starting system, well originally the neutral safety switch on the Vue controlled the power going to the solenoid for the engine to start. This meant a thick yellow and purple wire. Now I could probably have altered the connector going to the 2005 Saturn Ion connector (which fits the switch on the 2005 Malibu transmission). Though I opted to go I think a better route, I used the starter control wire from the switch on the connector to a relay and put the Thick yellow/purple wires to that relay. This has worked fine in that the car will crank over (just not stay running).

So yesterday I found I made a mistake, I had the ignition wire from the TCM connector connected to the Ignition wire of the connector that goes to the transmission, hence no power going to the TCM or transmission. I put in a wire (which I had left over (should have been a clue)) though the car still doesn't want to stay running. I assumed it's because maybe I don't have the LAN lines in the right spots but have no documentation as to which set goes to which pins.

I will try switching them today and seeing if that has any effect, though you say there is a difference and the Saturn 2005 TCM won't work with the Saturn Vue 2003 ECM? I saw somewhere where someone said it worked just didn't run great till they had both programed to 2005. Though my case is it's not even running bad, it won't stay running for more then a second.

I had unplugged the transmission and TCM to the same effect, it's like it's had no effect. I assume since the TCM wasn't connecting and passing on the LAN signal.

Let me know, hanging here with a mostly done project besides this issue. Plus like I said the keyword serial wire is coming from the block, nothing on any of the diagrams for the connectors have a Keyword serial wire, so I guess it has nothing to do with the transmission. Where to put it, I don't know.

Thanks for all the help you can provide.

jimmie504 07-28-2013 11:25 AM

It is mind boggling, but it becomes simple. The Body control module is what no-one wants to deal with, because it interprets the signal, and in order to to get the vue to shift, you will have to have the Engine Control Module from the 05-06 saturn Ion. It controls the solenoids, shift A and B, pressure line, input/output speed, TFT, and Transmission range. 'Here you gonna run into a problem, viz, the throttle body systems. If the module do not contain the TAC, then you will need to find the module. The 4t45 transmission control module only control keyword serial data (used for determine what code is triggered) and the CAN BUS used for sending and receiving information from various modules. Your starting system is linked to this. LAN lines or Brown w/black strip - CAN lines are Brown w/white stripes. Initially on the vue, pins 1 and 2 comes from the BCM and 10 and 11 comes from the ECU. The BCM or brain of the entire system affects the guages, starter and etc. As for the transmission position range sensor, follow the wiring harness, except for the seond yellow wire or ACC1 it has to be connected the neutral safety, because it is a safety mechanism, but you could have just put the truck in neutral and started it.

jimmie504 07-28-2013 11:54 AM

The car is not turning over because the fues transmission/powertrain fuse is blown

jimmie504 07-28-2013 12:00 PM

The CAN data system is slower than the HIGHPSEED LAN. Lan means the local area network, it is faster. It do not need the keyword or Radio Keyword serial data connection.
Also, the ISS and OSS and other solenoids and range sensor will be found on the Engine Control module. The Tan and Tan w/ white wires you say's is coming from the fusebox is actually tied in to the Body control module.

jimmie504 07-28-2013 12:03 PM

Get some B12 and clean the throttle body system, and MASS.

jimmie504 07-28-2013 12:17 PM

The Saturn Vue ECU will have to be flash to contain data to control the solenoids, line pressure control and etc. The Vue ECU can recieve data from the speed sensor. The Vue ECU and TCM has to work in conjections, but the TCM was to be formatted and wipe clean, then the new operating "stand alone" tcm DATA has to be programmed into. Otherwise, the 4t45-e TCM will not convey data to the ecu for shifting points, because the ecu do not have data for solenoid operations, gear ratio and etc.
Unlike the Vue, the data connections went from ECU to TCM and then to BCM. on the 4t45 it is TCM to ECU, then to BCM. The 3 wires are needed to transfer data, actual 4,counting the stop lamp signal (blue wire), dark brown w/black (radio/keyword serial data), Tan and tan w/white (CAN) or Tan and tan w/black.