SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Astra Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Fuel Pump Service Port Mod (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268445)

ProOpel 04-11-2021 05:42 PM

Fuel Pump Service Port Mod

6 Attachment(s)
Folks, I finally did the fuel pump mod. My friend and I cut an access service door like the euro Astras have. Be careful when you cut the metal, we cut a few cables and hoses because we weren't careful. But, overall, this is a far cheaper, much faster and easier way to access and replace the pump. Metal is easy to cut through, we used regular tools.

I'm now thinking of replacing the motor. Please check pit of motor. Aftermarket motors have one single inlet, but the OEM unit has two. Do you know what the second inlet is for? Here's the aftermarket unit I'm considering:

[url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-255LPH-Electric-Fuel-Pump-15-90-PSI-GSS342-w-Install-Kit-New/353193007517?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649[/url]

It only has one inlet.

Astra08 04-20-2021 08:08 PM

Re: Fuel Pump Service Port Mod

Wow! Not for the faint of heart.

Very meticulous work.

ProOpel 04-21-2021 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=Astra08;2359876]Wow! Not for the faint of heart.

Very meticulous work.[/QUOTE]

hey man. It's not straightforward indeed, but if you're careful it's way much easier than dropping the tank and all the other components requiring to access the pump and it will save users tons of money.

I just didn't want to do all that work that would have taken half a day without a car lift. I was on the road within a couple hours, but we could have finished it off much earlier had we not accidentally cut the wires.

By the way, I just got the new motor fuel pump in my old assembly, and will be testing it soon. I purchased a cheap $17 255LPH fuel pump motor (only the motor) to replace the faulty one in the system. It came with a filter, and a few bits. I was able to re-used the hoses in the pump and all fit perfectly. Only issue is I dropped the little motor to the ground (1ft height) so I hope I didn't damage it!

But if this additional mod works, you can save even more $$ as you will only have to replace the motor and filter instead of having to purchase the whole pump assembly which goes for $200-$300 when only a few things need to be replaced. It ain't worth it.,

I plan to take a video if this works.

Bill Murray 04-22-2021 04:25 PM

I've pulled tanks on several cars and pickups and didn't think it was all that difficult. Just make sure it's almost empty, not really that heavy, build a "cradle" out of random lumber that distributes the load so you don't dent the bottom and can match up with your floor jack.

IIRC the weight of a steel Camaro tank was 25 lbs. empty

ProOpel 04-22-2021 04:57 PM

It depends on the person.

But it's extra steps for something that can be done quicker and easier. After having replaced a fuel pump on an older E30 bimmer while on the way to FL, if the tank had to be dropped, I'd have been stranded and had to call a tow truck and put in a shop. Thankfully I only needed to lift the back seat, remove the lid, and within 30 mins I was back on the road. :cool: So, after that situation I was sold on service doors. All cars should have this.

Astra08 04-26-2021 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=ProOpel;2359913]hey man. It's not straightforward indeed, but if you're careful it's way much easier than dropping the tank and all the other components requiring to access the pump and it will save users tons of money.

I just didn't want to do all that work that would have taken half a day without a car lift. I was on the road within a couple hours, but we could have finished it off much earlier had we not accidentally cut the wires.

By the way, I just got the new motor fuel pump in my old assembly, and will be testing it soon. I purchased a cheap $17 255LPH fuel pump motor (only the motor) to replace the faulty one in the system. It came with a filter, and a few bits. I was able to re-used the hoses in the pump and all fit perfectly. Only issue is I dropped the little motor to the ground (1ft height) so I hope I didn't damage it!

But if this additional mod works, you can save even more $$ as you will only have to replace the motor and filter instead of having to purchase the whole pump assembly which goes for $200-$300 when only a few things need to be replaced. It ain't worth it.,

I plan to take a video if this works.[/QUOTE]

Please post it if you do. There are certain design aspects of cars which I simply don't understand, and this arrangement with the fuel pump has to be one of them.

:dizzy:

ProOpel 04-26-2021 11:42 PM

[QUOTE=Astra08;2360273]Please post it if you do. There are certain design aspects of cars which I simply don't understand, and this arrangement with the fuel pump has to be one of them.

:dizzy:[/QUOTE]

Will post an update for sure, been working on my other car lol. I'm looking forward to see if there's a boost in performance. :D:cool: