SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue Red Line (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   New Guy, 2004 Vue Red Line in the works (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268113)

MAC5 02-05-2021 09:53 PM

New Guy, 2004 Vue Red Line in the works

Brand new to this forum and if all goes well with the 2004's inspection next week we'll be new owners of a 2004 89,000 mile Black Onyx Red Line. The car is owned by a close friend and original owner. He was fanatical on keeping the maintenance up through the years.

I don't have pic's yet, but will post asap when available. One question I have after test driving it yesterday relates to the exhaust system sound, specifically a slight resonance drone when cruising around 1500 rpm. I know this is supposed to be somewhat of a sportier model, so I was wondering if the Red Lines exhaust system is set up this way versus a standard Vue 3.5's sound.

Comments, advise appreciated.

My other toys include a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, and 1998 Corvette.

Most of my forum time is spent on the CorvetteForum.com and once in awhile on JeepForums.com Look forward to dropping in on this site to learn more about this Saturn.

Vue6 02-07-2021 10:54 AM

Re: New Guy, 2004 Vue Red Line in the works

...Never noticed a drone sound in the exhaust in my 06' , maybe muffler is on it's way out inside. I've bought the walker quiet flow for mine with good results, you will have to cut your RL exhaust tip and new muffler tip off to swap , being the muffler is for a regular vue But otherwise it's a perfect fit ,and quiet, just my .02, DC:us:

atikovi 02-08-2021 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=MAC5;2356693]I was wondering if the Red Lines exhaust system is set up this way versus a standard Vue 3.5's sound.[/QUOTE]

No difference except the chrome tip on Redlines.

Vue6 02-11-2021 08:15 PM

...The tip on the regular vue is angled diff. than on the redline , just cut off the tips and switch them out or have a shop make a RL tip made up to look like the RL version, hope that helps, DC.:us:

MAC5 02-14-2021 01:14 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Have had some seat time driving the Vue this past week and had a chance to have a couple of GM Master mechanics look it over. The drone is more pronounced when at lower speeds 25-45 when the tranny is in overdrive so pretty much eliminates the exhaust system. The GM guys are pretty sure its the engine mounts transmitting the vibration when a little gas pedal is applied.
We'll see how that works out next week when they have the car again. With the exception of the drivers seat heater not working all is well. The tires with about 20k miles on them are now 10 years old might be getting swapped out soon.

JefferyC 02-26-2021 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=MAC5;2357007]Thanks guys for the feedback.

Have had some seat time driving the Vue this past week and had a chance to have a couple of GM Master mechanics look it over. The drone is more pronounced when at lower speeds 25-45 when the tranny is in overdrive so pretty much eliminates the exhaust system. The GM guys are pretty sure its the engine mounts transmitting the vibration when a little gas pedal is applied.
We'll see how that works out next week when they have the car again. With the exception of the drivers seat heater not working all is well. The tires with about 20k miles on them are now 10 years old might be getting swapped out soon.[/QUOTE]

In 2006 or 7 there was software upgrade for transmission. I think it changed the shift points. Your GM guys will know more exact.:yes: No sure if Redline was in on it.

atikovi 02-26-2021 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=MAC5;2357007] The drone is more pronounced when at lower speeds 25-45 when the tranny is in overdrive [/QUOTE]

If the engine is lugging like under 1200 rpm, that's going to happen.

kz1000s1 03-11-2021 12:29 AM

[url]http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166710[/url]

Vue6 05-08-2021 06:18 AM

...After the trans upgrade in mine ,it kept he trans from upshifting too soon, it keeps it in a lower gear slightly longer so it doesn't lug . Top speed didn't change in mine, my vue felt better driving around also, DC.

waiter21 05-08-2021 05:42 PM

Look at front engine cradle to frame attach points. These rust out.

[url]https://www.1999southwind.com/toad-2003-saturn-vue/#ENGINE_CRADLE[/url]

Look at fuel lines where they run from the rear to the front, these rust out

Brake hoses and wheel bearings are another common issue.