SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Mods (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Turbo Saturn build (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268008)

BrockE_25 01-13-2021 12:49 AM

Turbo Saturn build

I'm currently building my 95 sl2 to be turbo charged and im curious on what crank to use. I've done some research and in 99 they made the cranks with 8 counterweights. Is that better than the lighter cranks when it comes to increasing power?

fetchitfido 01-14-2021 01:03 AM

Re: Turbo Saturn build

I'm not sure which is the overall stronger crankshaft, but the heavier one is better balanced (smoother running) and can "pointlessly" rev higher.
"Pointlessly" because there's a steep power dropoff after 6300rpm so the only benefit is either being higher in the power band for the next gear or faster lap times from not shifting.

I think I'd run the heavier one anyway. It'll help on take off similar to a heavier flywheel, and you ought to find a 3rd gen DOHC anyway to take the lower block brace and windage tray to swap onto whatever block you end up using to rebuild. I believe any of the connecting rods are compatible with any of the crankshafts, it's only the rods & pistons that you have to worry about.

BrockE_25 01-14-2021 01:43 AM

[QUOTE=fetchitfido;2355930]I'm not sure which is the overall stronger crankshaft, but the heavier one is better balanced (smoother running) and can "pointlessly" rev higher.
"Pointlessly" because there's a steep power dropoff after 6300rpm so the only benefit is either being higher in the power band for the next gear or faster lap times from not shifting.

I think I'd run the heavier one anyway. It'll help on take off similar to a heavier flywheel, and you ought to find a 3rd gen DOHC anyway to take the lower block brace and windage tray to swap onto whatever block you end up using to rebuild. I believe any of the connecting rods are compatible with any of the crankshafts, it's only the rods & pistons that you have to worry about.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Much appreciated I'm going to be running a light weight flywheel is that a bad idea? Or will that help?

fetchitfido 01-14-2021 01:00 PM

The more rotating mass you have the easier take off will be, but it'll be slower to rev up. The weight trade off on the crankshaft is worth it because it's better balanced, a lighter flywheel should offset the heavier crankshaft and if you find a 7lb one within your budget you'll still have less rotating mass than stock.

BrockE_25 02-08-2021 03:42 AM

If I were to internally balance the lighter crankshaft would that be a viable option as well? I'm getting Ferrea Valve train and Gude camshafts. I'm hoping to push her a up to 8k.

SC2Sick 02-08-2021 05:36 PM

Blow up your stock engine learning how to tune first. Build your other engine once you boost the stock one as you'll have a better idea what you really want.

fetchitfido 02-09-2021 10:03 AM

Balance the lighter crankshaft?...that just sounds like bolting in the heavier crankshaft except harder and more expensive to end up with a crankshaft that weighs the same.