SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Average Engine Life (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198046)

darnell89 02-09-2014 06:44 PM

Average Engine Life

It's been a while since I owned a SATURN, really miss my SATURN's, and was wondering which engine on the Vue (2002-2007) models have the best engine life?

Saturn Vue 2.2L vs. 3.0L vs. 3.5L engine average life span

PortugalFocus 02-10-2014 11:15 AM

Re: Average Engine Life

[QUOTE=darnell89;2042748]It's been a while since I owned a SATURN, really miss my SATURN's, and was wondering which engine on the Vue (2002-2007) models have the best engine life?

Saturn Vue 2.2L vs. 3.0L vs. 3.5L engine average life span[/QUOTE]

From what I can conjure up, it's the 2.2s with a slight advantage over the 3.5s. But it really depends on the owner and how they are taken care of.

flyingj 02-10-2014 12:13 PM

^^^ And if the 2.2 has the Vti tranny with it. While that doesn't shorten the life of the engine, it does shorten the life of the Vue!

darnell89 02-10-2014 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=PortugalFocus;2042929]From what I can conjure up, it's the 2.2s with a slight advantage over the 3.5s. But it really depends on the owner and how they are taken care of.[/QUOTE]

That's very true. People that aren't true fans of SATURN or good owners of vehicles tend to screw the vehicles up.

darnell89 02-10-2014 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=flyingj;2042938]^^^ And if the 2.2 has the Vti tranny with it. While that doesn't shorten the life of the engine, it does shorten the life of the Vue![/QUOTE]

Yea, the VTi is a no go for me. Has to be the Manual on the 2.2L.

Eric75 01-06-2018 04:05 AM

Yes, we have a 2003 Saturn Vue with a manuel transmission. I wouldn't have it any other way.

emsvitil 01-07-2018 05:08 AM

2.2 will start burning oil when they get up in miles.

oldmanina2005vu 01-07-2018 08:19 PM

My sons 2005 Vue 5 speed has 217,000 and is still going strong. I bought it with 110,000 with jumped timing. After rebuilding the head and replacing the timing chain set, balance shaft chain set, and timing chain tensioner it has run flawlessly. It doesn't burn any oil that I can tell. It does have a small leak through the block from porosity. I replaced the clutch and pressure plate while I had the engine out. Great little car but starting to show it's age.

pierrot 01-07-2018 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=emsvitil;2262988]2.2 will start burning oil when they get up in miles.[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]How much added oil consumption do you think that might it be? Though not a VUE owner, my car shares an engine also available in that model. The engine in my car uses up one quart, or sometimes less, over the course of 3K miles and with 278K on the odometer as of today's date.

The best thing an owner can do for his/her car is to change the oil and filter regularly and not let it get past its required service interval. If one does that then the [B][U]likelihood[/U][/B] of greater longevity and lesser oil consumption between oil changes [B][U]improves[/U][/B].

(Note: engine and transmission on my car are original with [B][U][COLOR="blud"]no[/COLOR][/U][/B] internal moving parts replaced to date. Only regular servicing as recommended by Saturn.)[/SIZE][/FONT]

emsvitil 01-08-2018 05:51 AM

Enough to put a hole in the block.

My picture is of my sisters

<------

For the longest time it didn't burn any oil at all.

She got used to that and quit checking.

Then it started burning oil....................

I researched here:

[url]http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/index.php[/url]

If I remember correctly it has something to do with PVC system.

stefanP 01-10-2018 06:05 PM

I have a 04 Vue 5spd.2 to 3 Quarts of oil a week.Trying to find a engine now.Other than that it is a great little suv.

GMDad 01-10-2018 08:51 PM

We had an 04 with the 2.2 5 spd. Great little car but then I found an 06 Equinox full load with a 3.4 auto and traded the Vue in on it. Bad mistake. Nowhere near as nice as the Vue in my opinion. Couple cars later and found an 07 Vue with the 3.5 auto Has 220K KM on it. Love it more than the 04 and has been a great little car. Just the normal maintenance done on it.

aerial_22 01-22-2018 10:37 PM

I have a 2007 Saturn VUE with the 2.2L Ecotec engine. I am at 236,000 miles, and have no issues with burning oil. I use the synthetic blend high mileage oil every 5,000-7,000 miles. Hoping with good maintenance I can push this baby to 300,000 miles.

pierrot 01-24-2018 01:04 AM

[QUOTE=emsvitil;2263077]Enough to put a hole in the block.

My picture is of my sisters

<------

For the longest time it didn't burn any oil at all.

She got used to that and [B][COLOR="red"]quit checking[/COLOR][/B].

Then it started burning oil....................

I researched here:

[url]http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/index.php[/url]

If I remember correctly it has something to do with PVC system.[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]I've been thinking about this reply recently and I think that something is not right. The larger concern here relates to a simple failure regarding an automotive fundamental: [I]checking the crankcase oil level. All of us here know that that this is basic to car ownership[/I]. Whether or not the PCV system contributed to an increase in oil consumption is somewhat beside the point. Had the oil been checked regularly and if oil had been added when it was needed, then this particular engine failure [B][U][COLOR="blue"]might[/COLOR][/U][/B] have been avoided. [I]Frankly, I think it would have been avoided[/I]. (To be intellectually honest, I must reserve the possibility of a catastrophic failure arising regardless of proper maintenance - how ever small that possibility may be.)

FWIW, I happen to have a PCV valve test tool which was used at my father's service station many years ago. I've used it to test the PCV valve on my car's engine and it continues to function normally.[/SIZE][/FONT]