SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Sl1 engine rebuild (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268157)

Ccrussell 03-04-2021 07:51 AM

Re: Sl1 engine rebuild

Nope,
Coolant in crankcase; milk chocolate in reservoir. . Bummer.
Either overlooked crack or wrong head gasket as billr suggested earlier post.
Well at least I am tenacious and will press on.
Murphy’s law. Lol

fetchitfido 03-04-2021 10:13 AM

This post has a good pic of the weak point of all SOHC's '91-'02: [url]http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1656542&postcount=14[/url]

Kinda one of those things you have to know about in the first place to find.

billr 03-04-2021 11:28 AM

I'm feeling ashamed! Totally forgot about the SOHC head crack possibility...

Ccrussell 03-05-2021 09:10 AM

Hey Guys
No worries, motor needed a rebuild anyway, I did the piston mod while apart.
Car does run noticeably better, so now I just will get a new reman head.
There is an eBay 250 dollar refurbished that is listed as “ small exhaust port, “266 casting” is that the one? West Virginia. But “guides replaced as required “ spoke with guy in Florida on ulmerton rd. He wants 300 dollars. He was recommended by someone here. Better choice?
That My machine shop didn’t check for cracks makes me suspicious . How could I have confidence in using him again? ( I have an inline turbo motor I wanted to build)
Anyway I’m not upset, just pushes return to service back couple weeks.
I appreciate every ones help on this forum. Has helped me keep these cars going!

Ccrussell 03-05-2021 09:17 AM

Hey Guys
No worries, motor needed a rebuild anyway, I did the piston mod while apart.
Car does run noticeably better, so now I just will get a new reman head.
There is an eBay 250 dollar refurbished that is listed as “ small exhaust port, “266 casting” is that the one? West Virginia. But “guides replaced as required “ spoke with guy in Florida on ulmerton rd. He wants 300 dollars. He was recommended by someone here. Better choice?
That My machine shop didn’t check for cracks makes me suspicious . How could I have confidence in using him again? ( I have an inline turbo motor I wanted to build)
Anyway I’m not upset, just pushes return to service back couple weeks.
I appreciate every ones help on this forum. Has helped me keep these cars going!

Ccrussell 03-11-2021 04:12 PM

Hello,
Well re manufactured head ordered from Odessa cylinder head exchange ,In Florida . Hoping it gets here soon. Meanwhile I’m detailing the engine compartment, cleaning the interior real well, polished the plastic headlamps(what a difference). Prepping the hood and trunk lid for a fresh respray. Those look bleached from the sun. Hoping to just shoot some simple single stage paint once the temps stabilize around here.
For a daily “beater” it’s starting to look pretty good again.

Ccrussell 03-24-2021 08:20 AM

Ok
The cylinder head arrived yesterday it looks pretty nice. At least giving a visual inspection every surface and component seems freshened hope it performs as expected going together ASAP

Ccrussell 04-06-2021 11:00 AM

Well,
I got my “new “remanufactured head in the mail. Looks nice, have it installed on the car. The gasket that I used was correct , shame it was used and cannot be reused. Getting pretty good at disassemble/ reassemble now.
Hoping this time is the charm. Will need to do a detergent flush of oil from coolant,
Wondering if I need to use ginger root/ walnut shell golden seal as I believe Oldnuc had once advised ? Think he said this was originally installed by the factory? Couldn’t find that specifically but thought he said that.
Will be nice to see this SL returned to service. It sheltered in the garage long enough now.

Ccrussell 04-09-2021 09:17 AM

Hello,
Ok , motor back together again! Started it last night, fired immediately. Had a lifter tick for the first 15 minutes of run time, then abated. Car came up to operating temperature, no leaks. I have not yet filled the cooling system with detergent to clean I will do that hopefully this weekend.
Surely hoping that this time I have no further issues , ha.
Fingers crossed that there are no further issues and I experience 150,000 more miles of trouble free motoring

Highmile 04-09-2021 11:37 AM

Sounds good.

Highmile
'95 SL1 728k and counting

Ccrussell 04-17-2021 11:53 AM

Helllo,
Well cooling system purged going to give it one more flush today while I was distilling a bunch of water for the final fill.
I would say this post is closed .
The car is running well .hopefully this is the end of my problems thanks for all the help.
Russ

Highmile 04-20-2021 12:43 PM

happy thoughts for many many miles of happy motoring.

Highmile
'95 SL1 729k and counting