SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue Red Line (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Bumper Pad on Red Line Vue? Anybody done it? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40353)

chiefscott1701 08-21-2004 09:33 PM

Bumper Pad on Red Line Vue? Anybody done it?

Since this semi-discussion was buried in another thread, I wanted to start a new thread to see if anybody has done this. I want to install a bumper pad on my 2004 Red Line Vue. However, SaturnAccessories.com says that it is not compatible with the RedLine Vue. Anybody know why this is? Does it not fit the bumper properly, or is this just some aethestic judgement by Saturn? I don't want to buy it and find it doesn't fit, but I'd really like one on my RL. Thanks!

[URL=http://www.saturnaccessories.com/sf6/vue_bumper_pad.aspx]Saturn Vue Bumper Guard[/URL]

04SilverVue 08-21-2004 09:50 PM

Silverbullet has the bumper pad on his Redline Silver Nickel Vue...

Check out his photo album [url]http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12277/password//sort/1/cat/500/page/1[/url]

monantony 08-21-2004 11:05 PM

Ive done it and it isnt a problem, just follow the directions and be carefull. Once that tape gets a grip it seems impossible to get it back off..... I wish it wasnt so late and tomorrow so busy or I;d take some pics and show you the fit issue...it isnt glaring, you'd never notice. And trust me , you wont want to live w/o it...Even carefully unloading a bike I manage a small gouge in the cover, saved my bumpers butt
T

Dante 08-22-2004 12:21 AM

I'm still debating this one. I already have one scratch on my rear bumper, so, I can tell ya, that thing sure can be delicate. This bumper pad would cover those and protect from future gashes, but I am not real crazy about the big black plastic on the back. If I loaded big stuff that is inclined to scratch my bumper more often, I would for sure get it and just live with the fact that I'm not crazy with the way it looks, but for now, I'm still undecided. However, it's cool that we have a pioneer willing to test out something when they say it won't work.

monantony 08-22-2004 01:19 AM

I got used to the cover pretty dam fast....
T

paia48 08-22-2004 11:20 AM

Last week when waxing my RL i noticed some small cuts on the rear bumper. No idea how they got there; but, after looking at the pics, I live with the bumper pad. One will be installed post haste!

sspeer 08-22-2004 12:57 PM

Has anyone considered painting the pad before installing it?

04SilverVue 08-22-2004 01:59 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sspeer [/i]
[B]Has anyone considered painting the pad before installing it? [/B][/QUOTE] Won't that kind if defeat the purpose?

sspeer 08-22-2004 05:18 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by 04SilverVue [/i]
[B]Won't that kind if defeat the purpose? [/B][/QUOTE]

A little bit, but replacing it is cheaper than reapainting a bumper

04SilverVue 08-22-2004 05:57 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sspeer [/i]
[B]A little bit, but replacing it is cheaper than reapainting a bumper [/B][/QUOTE] True Dat, True Dat ! LOL

Dante 08-22-2004 11:28 PM

That's what I was thinking... I like the functionality, but I don't think I'm too crazy about the appearance. However, painting the thing would probably cost another $100 and it would chip pretty easilly, I'd guess. I'm still considering getting one, but not painting it.

CaliLime 08-23-2004 02:24 AM

I've had two on my RL, one before the accident the other after and they both fit fine. I like them, especially with the Electric Lime color. Check out my gallery. I would definitely replace it if I every needed to. By the way, the dealer and the body shop installed mine.

silverbullet 08-23-2004 11:45 AM

When we picked up the Redline I walked right over to the parts counter and purchased the pad and the lettering inserts and took them home with us. The parts guys never said a thing about the pad not fitting the Redline. I probably would have bought it anyway since I(or shall i say the wife) didn't want to scrath up her bumper.

Jeff

monantony 11-25-2004 03:25 AM

Re: Bumper Pad on Red Line Vue? Anybody done it?

BUMP

Another reason I like my Bumper pad...We got a few inches of wet snow and I wanted to brush off the "shelf" I have for a bumper...Now had it been factory non-padded Redline bumper, I would have been worried using the scraping portion to get all the snow off. With the pad it wasnt an issue....
T

Dante 12-03-2004 11:34 PM

I have had my bupmer pad a few months now and I love it. These dopes @ Lowe's scratched my RL bumper the first weekend I had it *argh*. I eventually put touch-up paint on the scratch (it was down to bare *plastic* :D ). I put the bumper cover on after that and haven't worried about it since. The appearance isn't bad at all. In fact, I actually think I like it better. Tends to break up that HUGE ass a little bit, makes it not look so much like a Scion xB. :D I highly recommend them. I don't fear sitting on or near the bumper any more!

UCSBJONES 12-06-2004 02:40 AM

Has anyone tried the invisible pad? Griots garage ([url]www.griotsgarage.com[/url]) has a system where a thin layer of plastic gets applied to prevent this. It is also used for Porche door-jams etc.

Tom

Spazie 12-06-2004 05:34 AM

[QUOTE=UCSBJONES]Has anyone tried the invisible pad? Griots garage ([url]www.griotsgarage.com[/url]) has a system where a thin layer of plastic gets applied to prevent this. It is also used for Porche door-jams etc.

Tom[/QUOTE]

That sounds like the clear hood bra Al Clapsaddle has on his ION, but for the bumper instead. His orange ION QC has a clear plastic film applied on the nose of the car, that you can't tell is there unless you're a few inches away from it, and it protects the paint from rock chips and everything. It's a very good idea, and I think that for a bumper cover, it'd be perfect.