SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   2004 Saturn Vue redline fuel pump works intermittently (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219486)

pakimex 04-28-2016 03:46 PM

2004 Saturn Vue redline fuel pump works intermittently

I have a 2004 Saturn Vue Redline 3.5 V6 ,
It cranks and starts good when it is cold. when key is in on position you can hear the fuel pump. However once it has been parked for over half hour after it has been driven for a while, when you go to start it cranks but doesn't start. when key is on positions you do not hear the fuel pump, fuel pressure on cranking is 0-20psi. After 6 hours or so it starts with no problems, fuel pressure is good, you can hear the fuel pump when key is in the on position. the fuel pump has been replaced but it is still having the same problem. i am guessing there is a issue in the power to the relay. Does anyone have a diagram showing from relay to fuel pump?any advise on where the issue could be at? Thank you.

far2grumpy 04-28-2016 07:18 PM

Re: 2004 Saturn Vue redline fuel pump works intermittently

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=pakimex;2192489]I have a 2004 Saturn Vue Redline 3.5 V6 ,
It cranks and starts good when it is cold. when key is in on position you can hear the fuel pump. However once it has been parked for over half hour after it has been driven for a while, when you go to start it cranks but doesn't start. when key is on positions you do not hear the fuel pump, fuel pressure on cranking is 0-20psi. After 6 hours or so it starts with no problems, fuel pressure is good, you can hear the fuel pump when key is in the on position. the fuel pump has been replaced but it is still having the same problem. i am guessing there is a issue in the power to the relay. Does anyone have a diagram showing from relay to fuel pump?any advise on where the issue could be at? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Was old pump replaced for same problem as new pump is having?

PCM will run pump for a couple of seconds after turning key to ON/RUN and will stop until key is turned to CRANK/START and CKP pulses are noted.

With fuel pressure at or near zero and you cycle key to ON the pump will build about 20 PSI. Turn OFF then ON again will get you 20 more PSI. When my pump was bad I had to cycle key before starting on third time.

BTW - there's a valve to maintain fuel pressure for hours after key is turned off but it is part of PRIMARY FUEL PUMP MODULE and would have been replaced if complete module was swapped - did you change only the pump?

I've attached a 3.5 fuel diagram ... not much there - PCM, wires, fuel pump fuse and relay and then more wires back to fuel module in tank.

pakimex 04-28-2016 07:26 PM

Re: 2004 Saturn Vue redline fuel pump works intermittently

The whole module was replaced, the old pump was having the same problem. When it doesn't work there is not 12v to the "87" relay, when manually bypassing the relay it starts. Thank you for the diagram.