SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   2000 SL1 Transmission Troubles (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223414)

Thorin 08-29-2016 08:23 PM

2000 SL1 Transmission Troubles

Hi, new account here, but I've used this site many times since we got out Staurn to help me fix it. I have a 2000 SL1.

The transmission continues to give me problems, however.

It started with the typical reverse slam/loss of 2nd gear. I did the job on the input shaft nut and it fixed the problem.

A few months ago, however, it started having a new problem... It pretty much doesn't seem to have low gears anymore. Acceleration is really slow on a flat, and nonexistent on hills. Once you're at speed and in higher gears there are no problems. This is a problem ONLY from a stop or a very low (<20mph) speed.

I assumed it was the valve body, since I didn't replace it before with the shaft nuts, but that didn't help. I noticed that a few of the pins on the old valve body were burnt, and the corresponding pins on the connector were burnt as well. So today I replaced the connector. Still have the same issue.

No problems with reverse... It's a nice quick and solid shift since I replaced the valve body.

TL;DR-
Feels like car starts in 3rd gear. No problems to speak of after about 20mph. No shuddering, no hard shifting. From a standing start, with the gas pedal in the floor, rpms only go to about 2500 and the car accelerates very slowly. Valve body and input shaft not already done.

I really need help on this one. I really con't afford to replace this car right now.

Chazberry 08-29-2016 09:47 PM

Re: 2000 SL1 Transmission Troubles

[QUOTE=Thorin;2209085]
Feels like car starts in 3rd gear. No problems to speak of after about 20mph. No shuddering, no hard shifting. From a standing start, with the gas pedal in the floor, rpms only go to about 2500 and the car accelerates very slowly.[/QUOTE]

Welcome Thorin. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th Gear Solenoids must [U]all[/U] be energized for 1st Gear. Have you checked the TRS fuses? If they are good, you have an open circuit somewhere.

Thorin 08-30-2016 12:50 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out tomorrow. I'm pretty sure there were some fried solenoids in the valve body I replaced (hence the burnt connector). Maybe a fuse went at the same time.

I feel kinda dumb for not checking my fuses...

Thorin 08-30-2016 10:14 PM

Hey, thank you so much for the reminder to look at my fuses. I can't believe I replaced an electronic part that [I]showed clear signs of shorting[/I] and didn't think to check the fuses. I feel like a dumbass.

However, the car is shifting like a champ now, great acceleration. Shifts a bit rough, and had a couple of oddly placed downshifts, but I'm sure that'll steady out as the new valve body and the PCM get to know one another. I think all the posts about swapping the valve body and input shaft nut should include a reminder to check those fuses. 30 seconds of work would have saved me a lot of frustration here.

Chazberry 08-30-2016 11:57 PM

At least it was an easy fix - happy motoring!