SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Plz help!! (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215231)

jfinch93 02-19-2016 06:51 PM

Plz help!!

Ok so I'm doing a lifter job on my 95 saturn Sl2 and i have the (exhaust) cam off but how do i get the lifters off so i can get to the valve seals???

jfinch93 02-19-2016 08:31 PM

Re: Plz help!!

I meant I'm doing a valve seal job but I don't know how to remove the lifters

johnny95sl2 02-19-2016 09:21 PM

You should be able to just pull the lifters out of their bore. The bigger question is how are you going to hold the valves up when you remove the keepers and springs??I would suggest you think about what you are doing and how to do it properly

jfinch93 02-19-2016 10:00 PM

Ok...well they aren't coming out...if I'm correct the lifters are the silver cylinders under the cam lobes correct? and if so..yes the spin like they're suppose to but they're not coming out so i can access the keepers & springs. I have the tool to remove them with the magnet built in ....as far as me keeping the valves from falling in the engine...I'm doing the rope method because i don't have access to an air compressor

johnny95sl2 02-19-2016 10:14 PM

The lifters are not held in by anything other than the surface tension of the lubricating oil. The hard part is grabbing them to pull them out, they are slippery little devils. You could try a big magnet.

jfinch93 02-19-2016 10:30 PM

wow...well that is some STRONG surface tension lol but ok im gonna try the magnet thing 1st thing in the morning

guyg 02-19-2016 11:31 PM

Make sure you keep track of the order, put each lifter back in the same place.

jfinch93 02-20-2016 12:05 AM

oh yes and i also have all the cam caps in order too so everything is going back in it's original place :) but thanks to the both of you for the help it's very much appreciated :yes:

billr 02-20-2016 02:18 PM

You are doing this with the head on the engine, in the car??? That seems like a terribly frustrating and maybe unsuccessful task, especially just for the sake of changing valve-stem seals. [I]My opinion[/I] is that those stem seals can never leak enough oil to make it worthwhile...

fetchitfido 02-20-2016 02:46 PM

They fall out surprisingly quick when you turn the head upside down...lol

jfinch93 02-20-2016 10:45 PM

well i got the lifters out and new valve seals put in on the exhaust side im gonna do the intake side 2morro and re-assemble and see what happens

jfinch93 02-24-2016 01:31 AM

just to let you guys know...everything went smoove and we are back on the road..thanks for all the help but i have another question but im going to search the forum 1st before i start another thread lol

billr 02-24-2016 03:59 PM

I am truly impressed that you got this done with the head still in the car! I did mine under the [I]best[/I] of conditions, and still found those valve keepers to be tricky little devils. If I had been doing it bending over the front of the car I would have been paralyzed for days... Let us know how much it reduces the oil consumption; if you judge it to be worth the effort.