SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Mods (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   1998 sc2 header (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268910)

Undertake72 07-06-2021 10:51 PM

1998 sc2 header

Any one out there by chance have a extra or atleast a header for sale ???

fetchitfido 07-07-2021 12:05 AM

Re: 1998 sc2 header

Fed emissions should be the same '93-'98, Cali the same '96-'98.

If you actually want a header, only the '91-'92's got them from the factory.

PrestonIII 09-26-2021 03:03 AM

Does anyone have any seat-of-the-pants experience with replacing the original cast iron manifold with an actual header from the early cars?

Did it make any difference in performance "feel"? Does the car "feel" more powerful? Faster acceleration?

I'm thinking that on a car that makes 128 horsepower, even a 10 HP gain would be able to be felt. So it might be a way to get a little more powerful feeling.

But it there's no "feel" to the gain, then it's not worth it.

Though there should be a moderate gain in fuel economy even if you don't feel the power gain.

Preston.

fetchitfido 09-26-2021 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=PrestonIII;2365783]Does anyone have any seat-of-the-pants experience with replacing the original cast iron manifold with an actual header from the early cars?[/QUOTE]

I'd be surprised if anyone did only the header. On a '93 SL2 I did the '92 header, AEM true CAI, dual intake camshafts, auto->manual swap with MP2, '94 SC2 PCM and 7lb Fidenza flywheel. Never did a dyno with it but despite the much longer gearing of the MP2 it was noticeably faster in every gear than a stock '96 SC2 (only other S-Series I kept a decent amount of time).

The header was a chore to get. The nearest JY with multiple '91-'92 DOHC's wouldn't sell me the header nor downpipe because NH doesn't allow reselling of catalytic converters.

AveryB 09-26-2021 09:26 PM

I own a 02 SC2 and I installed a set of Maximizer tri-y headers earlier this year cause my flex pipe was rusting badly and had a few holes in it. I would highly recommend getting a set of headers. After the install, I noticed an improvement in torque and a feel in power. My coupe also is paired with a K&N air filter replacement which made for a bit better throttle response.

PrestonIII 09-27-2021 11:24 PM

Wow, I just looked up that Maximizer Tri-Y.

It's nearly $400 plus $50 for shipping!

I couldn't justify that kind of money on a nearly 30 year old car.

Plus, at that price it would have to add another 25 horsepower for me to even consider it. The seat-of-the-pants experience would have to be phenomenal!

I see 3 used ones advertised in wrecking yards around me for $30-$45, and one of them is already pulled and on the shelf. I just paid for a new flexible pipe to be welded into my original system, so it wouldn't be much to cut ahead of it and join it to a new header downpipe. But is it worth it? That's where my question comes from.

Plus. . . . . .Is there a catalytic converter built on to that header? My catalytic is down by the driver's feet, and it took the courtesy of breaking itself up and blowing out the muffler over the last 6 months. I thought the rattle would NEVER stop. But it did FINALLY! My neighbor told me the noise was the belt tensioner, lol.

Preston

fetchitfido 09-28-2021 12:15 AM

[QUOTE=PrestonIII;2365837]Plus. . . . . .Is there a catalytic converter built on to that header?
Preston[/QUOTE]

No catalytic converter in the manifold until Cali Emission '96's came around (even then it's to supplement the main CC under the car, not replace it).

True, 100% OEM '91-'92 header: [url]http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv101/transamv8muscle/Parts91-1.jpg[/url]

The Maximizer header pic I found looks like a copy of the OEM header, except they stole the header->downpipe flange from an EJ25.
OBX also copied the OEM header, though they used their own customish design for the flange.

One easy thing to forget/miss when putting a header on is the hanger that bolts to the engine, the '93+ hanger doesn't fit any of the headers so you need to grab it when you're grabbing the exhaust or be ready to make one.