SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion Mods (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   adding Air Conditioning to a model without it? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236086)

cpufreak101 12-02-2018 04:53 PM

adding Air Conditioning to a model without it?

so I got a complete steal of a deal on an '06 ion, it was one owner, garage kept, had full service history, etc. however, part of the reason for it being so cheap was that it was a complete base model, it doesn't even have air conditioning (yes, under the hood there's no compressor or anything) so I was wondering if anyone had any experience in adding A/C to one?

ruley73 12-02-2018 09:10 PM

Re: adding Air Conditioning to a model without it?

[QUOTE=cpufreak101;2287365]so I got a complete steal of a deal on an '06 ion, it was one owner, garage kept, had full service history, etc. however, part of the reason for it being so cheap was that it was a complete base model, it doesn't even have air conditioning (yes, under the hood there's no compressor or anything) so I was wondering if anyone had any experience in adding A/C to one?[/QUOTE]

I'm responding only because I don't think anyone on here has any experience doing this. I have not done this myself, but I can tell you that there is A LOT involved in doing so. You will need to install:

Compressor
Longer serpentine belt
Evaporator
Condenser
Thermal expansion valve
Climate control unit for A/C equipped car
Suction & discharge hoses
Hi/Low refrigerant pressure switches

And after all that, you will need to have the BCM and ECM recalibrated. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing so, but I want you to understand everything you will need to make it happen.

I didn't even mention the biggest obstacle yet, which is installing all the necessary wiring. Your car may already have the wiring provisions installed for the A/C components. If none of the wiring is there you'll have a lot more work to do.

cpufreak101 12-02-2018 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=ruley73;2287376]I'm responding only because I don't think anyone on here has any experience doing this. I have not done this myself, but I can tell you that there is A LOT involved in doing so. You will need to install:

Compressor
Longer serpentine belt
Evaporator
Condenser
Thermal expansion valve
Climate control unit for A/C equipped car
Suction & discharge hoses
Hi/Low refrigerant pressure switches

And after all that, you will need to have the BCM and ECM recalibrated. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing so, but I want you to understand everything you will need to make it happen.

I didn't even mention the biggest obstacle yet, which is installing all the necessary wiring. Your car may already have the wiring provisions installed for the A/C components. If none of the wiring is there you'll have a lot more work to do.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply, I was fearing computer stuff would be involved. at this point might try to put in a standalone kit (like the ones they make for vintage cars) as i know that'd at least work then.

hudypete1 07-22-2019 10:07 AM

Computer work might not be a real issue, but just might be $$$.

To reprogram a computer for my 2.4L 2007 Ion, the tech charged me $100. When they reflash it, they just right over everything there.

I would expect that it would be relatively simple to get the computer stuff done. Ask around at your local shops and see who they go to.

CarolClark 07-06-2021 11:10 AM

Do you need any hassles? I don't recommend doing it because it involves additional installation and some parts to buy. It's more expensive than calling an [URL="https://www.waychoffsac.com"]ac repair company[/URL] to install a typical ac for your home or clean it. But installing a standalone kit would be an excellent option. I understand the need to install an ac into a vintage car, but if you don't intend to use it every day, you can leave it as it is.

goaliemo 07-07-2021 07:46 AM

My 10+ years dealing with ions, I have never came across one that didn't have a/c. I'd probably buy it. I don't use the a/c in my cars anyway. Haha