SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
microsat
microsat is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default left and right brake lights don't work but centre high brake light works.

I own a 2002 saturn sl2.
The left and right brake lights don't work but centre high brake light works.
How many brake light switchs under the brake pedal are there in 2002 saturn sl2?
Do left and right brake lights and centre high(3rd) brake light share one brake light switch with each other?

Any suggestions about which might be bad, brake light switch, connection
bulbs or fuse?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to microsat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help microsat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
microsat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: left and right brake lights don't work but centre high brake light works.

Your 2002 may be different, but on my '96, there is only one switch. But there are multiple wires coming _out_ of the switch, so the wire for the outboard brake lights might be broken.

Don't rule out the possibility that both bulbs are burnt out. May as well buy one bulb, if you don't have a spare, and try it on each side. If it turns out the bulbs are good, it's still good to have a spare bulb on hand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:42 AM   #3
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: left and right brake lights don't work but centre high brake light works.

Try replacing the bulbs first. If that doesnt cure the problem, check the wiring loom that runs along the trunk lid, to the side of the trunk. It supplies the grounds for both side lights, and you could have something as simple as a broken wire or two.... Have you stuffed something large into the trunk lately? Or had trouble closing it lately?

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
fluffystuff
fluffystuff is on a distinguished road

I realize this is an old thread, but just in case someone is having the same problem I was having... there is a recall related to this (Campaign Number: 05052). A Saturn Dealership will fix it for free.

Here's a link to a recall notice:
http://auto-recalls.justia.com/conte...EDAN-2000.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fluffystuff's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fluffystuff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fluffystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffystuff View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but just in case someone is having the same problem I was having... there is a recall related to this (Campaign Number: 05052). A Saturn Dealership will fix it for free.

Here's a link to a recall notice:
http://auto-recalls.justia.com/conte...EDAN-2000.html
Quote:
Model : L-SERIES SEDAN Year : 2000
That would be for L series not S series.

/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Special Forces's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Special Forces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

i believe saturn used the same type of design for the tail-lamps in the 3rd gen S-Series as they did the L-Series: that is a bulb mounted into a socket which is then mounted into a circuit board built into the housing (very much like an instrument cluster lamp).

this design sucks because corrosion starts to occur on the contacts eventually either burning the bulb out or preventing it from coming on. i know there was a recall for the L-Series b/c my grandmother's car had this problem, and it was fixed by the dealer for free. there were probably not enough complaints to warrant a campaign from the S-Series camp, though.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
Joe SL2
Joe SL2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1999 SL2

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I'm havin the EXACT same problem, also with a 2002 SL2. I've checked the bulbs and the fuses... did anything elver solve the problem for you?

thanks,
joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Joe SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Joe SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Joe SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #8
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe SL2 View Post
Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I'm havin the EXACT same problem, also with a 2002 SL2. I've checked the bulbs and the fuses... did anything elver solve the problem for you?

thanks,
joe
let's start your problem from the beginning - exactly what does and does not work, and when? Just the brake light bulbs, or all the rear bulbs? Any other clues?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Joe SL2

2002 SL2
1999 SL2

whats up purdue guy [Krannert 2004]

well, I haven't had a chance to completely diagnose every scenario, but it seems to be with or without headlights on, and the tail lamps work just fine. my left and right brakes don't get brighter, and only the top center brake light comes on. I've changed bulbs (in only the drivers side one, but this didn't fix that one, so i haven't tried the other yet) I've checked LOTs of fuses even things i thought wouldn't even remotely relate to it...

basically, i can't get the brake lights to work. period.

any ideas?

99 SL2 - Ally
02 SL2 - Beatrice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Joe SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Do the parking lights / taillights work okay? If so, it's not a ground issue, and your next suspect is the wire going from the brake light switch to the outboard lights. As stated above, although electrically redundant, there are two wires coming out of the brake light switch for the lights. One goes to the outboard lights and the other goes to the center light. Alas, they're the same color of insulation (blue, IIRC). So you'll need to do a little sleuthing to figure out which wire is which, and check the one for the outboard lights for continuity.

Another preliminary test, just to see if it's something simpler -- remove both outboard bulbs, and put a voltmeter between the blue terminal of the left side socket and a known good ground. Have someone press the brake pedal, and see if you get battery voltage. Repeat for the right side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #11
Joe SL2

2002 SL2
1999 SL2

Tail lights work just fine with headlights on. I have yet to test the parking lights, but will do so. I'm getting a voltmeter today, and will check voltage at the brake light sockets.

Its weird b/c there are several posts with people experiencing the same phenomena as I am, and I figured there would have been an easy fix for this.

I'm going to the parts store in a couple of hours, i'll update soon.

joe

99 SL2 - Ally
02 SL2 - Beatrice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
madpogue

1996 SW2

Yuh, I lost my way with the multiple threads. So you've been having brake light problems with both cars simultaneously? Have you read your horoscope?

Oh, best way to test the socket terminals is to put the probe in from the "back" side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #13
Joe SL2

2002 SL2
1999 SL2

ya.. i guess i can just redirect to the other thread, so if you are reading this one, here is the newer thread that I started...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...35#post1190735

Anyway, ya, i knew i had a possible issue on the 99, but the 2k2, i JUST got home last night and my wife noticed on the way home that both brake lights were out.. doh

99 SL2 - Ally
02 SL2 - Beatrice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
crackertroy
crackertroy is on a distinguished road

What do we do now about this problem since there are no more Saturn dealerships? Any former Saturn dealership mechanics out there?

I had the same problem, the instrument panel brake lights on the inside worked but not the actual tail lights. I replaced both lights, then had to crawl under the steering wheel and contort my body to replace the brake light switch. Still no tail lights. Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crackertroy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crackertroy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crackertroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
toggenburg
Advanced Member
toggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to all

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

1998 SW2
2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

By your comment that the instrument panel brake LIGHTS work, do you mean the RED dash light that illuminates when the hand brake lever is pulled up?
Also, you say LIGHTS, my car only has 1 light in the dash for the brake/brake failure system.....what model 1998 do you have?

I would check for a broken wire between the brake pedal switch and the tail. Use a voltmeter right @ the rear socket (probe from the socket backside).
Does the 3rd light work or not?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #16
crackertroy
crackertroy is on a distinguished road

This is actually on my 2001 Saturn. I have a 98 and an 01. It has three brake lights.

I am talking about the lights in the rear of the car NOT on the instrument panel. The rear brake lights (tail lights) do not work. Only the center light located inside the rear windshield. Sorry for the confusion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crackertroy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crackertroy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crackertroy is offline   Reply With Quote