SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Cbrawls
Cbrawls is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 LW300 Electrical Problems

HELP! My wife's 2003 LW300 has developed an interesting electrical issue. One day she drove to work, all was fine. She went out to get in and go to lunch and the remote key fob did not work, so she unlocked the door with the key, put key in ignition, starter turned over but no fire. Dome light, gauges, radio, etc., nothing worked except starter. I was going to try to tow it to the house, gear selector was locked in park (had to manually disengage shift lock). On a whim, I disconnected the 4 month old battery and took it back to Autozone to have it checked. They left it on the tester/charger for a full charge cycle and stated that it checked out fine and now had a full charge. I put it back in the car and upon reconnecting the cables, all worked fine. Everything operated correctly for 2-3 days. Then, same problems all over again. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and the car would start and run except now the dome lights, gauges, dash board lights, a/c compressor, DRL's all did not work. The car runs and drives OK. Fuses seem to be OK. Last night, I removed the alternator and took it to the local auto electric shop for testing and possible rebuild. They say it is charging fine. Anyone have any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cbrawls's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cbrawls reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cbrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 LW300 Electrical Problems

I would guess from your description that your body control module (BCM) containing the anti-theft system, instrument panel illumination, DRL's, brake lights, everything not related to engine management, is failing. Our anti-theft system disables the fuel pump circuit and explains how the engine can continually crank over but never start up. Disconnectig and reconnecting the battery seemed to correct this for now. Since the engine will start and run and the anti-theft system is disabled for now this condition may deteriorate into the anti-theft system becoming enabled preventing any engine run. I'm no Saturn tech but reading the forums and owning an '03 L300 V6 is troubling for me to tell you what I think and would be happy to be wrong as the cost of replacement/programming a new BCM is several hundred dollars and performed only by Saturn service facilities.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
CrewCab
Advanced Member
CrewCab will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
1996 SL2

Yeah, the BCM is toast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrewCab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrewCab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrewCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Cbrawls

fdryer and CrewCab, thanks for the replies!

I would guess from your description that your body control module (BCM) containing... is failing.

This is what I was afraid of!

Thanks again for the info!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cbrawls reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
papachile
papachile is on a distinguished road

Hey there,
To the original poster, well I am agreeing with the above. But be warned. This is probably not going to be the first time that you will have to replace this BCM. I own an LW 300 from 2001, and I have the BCM replaced and reprogramed due to errors that it was getting. It cost me $332 after it was said and done. We got tipped off to the problems when the locks on the car would not lock when putting it into drive and had to wait about 30 seconds to shift gears. That was 2003. Now, in 2007, the AC went out, and we had the same issues that you had with my wife at work and the Car would not start. Then, I had it happen in my driveway. I disconnected the battery again and the car began to work. Now that my AC is out, and living in Texas in the summer it has made me more then hot under the collar. I am taking my car in again to get them to fix it! Good luck to you on that...and keep the receipt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to papachile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help papachile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
papachile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
Cbrawls

papachile,

Thanks for the advice. I am set to take the car to the dealer tomorrow. Maybe it is time to trade it in on a new Aura or Vue...Thanks,again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!