SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Alex-SW2
Alex-SW2 is on a distinguished road

Default TCC Solenoid

Hello again,

I have been having the “Service Engine Soon” warning light come on lately on my 1999 Saturn SW2 DOHC wagon which I just bought it last Christmas. It has about 112,000 miles on it. The error code is P0741. I have had the tranny filter and fluid changed, but am still experiencing the problem. I reported this in an earlier thread (Feb /07). I haven’t done much about it yet, but I have had the error code confirmed by my local Saturn dealer.

Can anyone please tell me if anyone has seen a procedure on this site for replacing the TCC solenoid or is it recommended to purchase the shop manual instead? I would like to try to do this myself if the procedure isn’t too complicated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alex-SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alex-SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alex-SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: TCC Solenoid

The solenoid itself is built into the upper valvebody of the transaxle, it can be changed without removing the transaxle, (get a manual) however, it may not be the solenoid at all, but the TCC (torque convertor clutch) itself, which is a much more involved undertaking. Perhaps a rehash of your actual symptoms might help..

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Alex-SW2

A little bit of the history of this problem… The car has an automatic transmission. When I am driving along and start to go up an incline, the “Service Engine Soon” light comes on when the transmission downshifts from 4th speed to 3rd speed. I think this is only condition that causes the light to come on that I have noticed. The light will stay on usually for about 3 days. If I am very light on the pedal going up grades, the error code will clear itself. Sometimes I will put the transmission in 3rd to prevent the light from coming on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Alex-SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
reemoe
reemoe is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

Although I'm not getting a SES light, I'm having a problem that I believe may be TCC related.

It typically occurs when going 50-55 mph going up a hill. It feels as if the tranny is slipping, as the car vibrates quickly for about a second. It doesn't always occur, and sometimes a loss of acceleration is felt.

Any ideas? TCC solenoid, fuel pump, spark plugs...?

Thanks for the help!
Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to reemoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help reemoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
reemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

This is a TCC stuck off code. I suspect that the downshift that you feel is not a 4 to 3 but a TCC coming off rather than an actual gear downshift.

From the service manual.

DTC P0741
Circuit Description

When torque converter clutch (TCC) is commanded ON, the comparison of engine speed to input shaft speed is monitored to assure TCC is ON. When the TCC is ON, the engine speed and input shaft speed are equal. TCC is applied by grounding circuit 422.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
DTC P0741 is set when the PCM has detected the following conditions for more than 7.5 seconds twice per ignition cycle:

• The transaxle fluid temperature is above 20°C (68°F).

• No engine or input shaft speed, or signal noise DTCs.

• Engine speed is greater than 908 RPM.

• Input shaft speed is greater than 224 RPM.

• TCC has been commanded ON for more than 5 seconds and there has been no gear change.

• Speed difference across the torque converter is greater than 280 RPM.

Test Description
Numbered steps below refer to numbered steps on the chart.

Check for DTCs P0740, P0743, P0744, P0756, P0758, P0759, P0761, P0763, P0764, P0766, P0768, P0769, P0781, P0782, or P0783. They must be eliminated first as a possible cause of DTC P0741.
Check the solenoid operation. Use the solenoid quick check in the test section located at the end of the DTC charts. The actuator quick test will PWM the solenoids at a set rate. Listen and compare the noise of the TCC gear solenoid to that of other solenoids. The noise of all should be similar.
Important: To check solenoid operation, command the solenoid quick test using the scan tool.

Other possibilities for DTC P0741 to set:
- Internal leakage in the TCC apply circuit

- Possible low line pressure

- Converter charge valve stuck causing TCC apply pressure to be exhausted to lube

- Converter limiting valve stuck open

- Missing or damaged torque converter-input shaft O-ring

Repair Verification
Monitor the DTC menu Code Status for Pass Since Code Clear and Pass This Ignition Cycle. When both have passed, the repair is verified.

Criteria for pass:

• The TCC is commanded ON.

• The ratio across the torque converter is 1:1 for 12 seconds.

Diagnostic Aids
• When the PCM detects a fault in the circuit, an open, ground, or short, the PCM will open the circuit internally to protect the circuit.

• This DTC may be caused by a poor electrical connection at either the PCM, actuator connector plate, IPJB terminals, or UHJB terminals. Wiggling the connectors while performing an actuator quick test may help isolate the problem area.

• Due to the clutch priority valve, this DTC will be set when 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear is determined to be stuck ON.

TCC Apply

- The engine temperature is above 20°C (68°F).

- The vehicle speed is above 26 km/h (16 mph).

- The transaxle fluid temperature is above a given value in relation to the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor value.

TCC Release

- Low engine speed downshift, e.g., light throttle or steady throttle, with load increase.

- Low end of the 3rd gear speed range, brake ON equals TCC OFF.

- Fast deceleration, i.e., brake lock on ice equals TCC OFF, gear equals neutral.

You need a tech 2 scan tool to do the main first diagnosis in the diag chart--the solenoid check. If the solenoid sounds good then it likely a mechanical component failure.
Check the wiring to the trans and the trans fuses in the under hood fuse block.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Alex-SW2

Thanks to all for taking time to reply! This information is very useful. I'll have to invest in a proper scan tool to perform this check. I think the factory manual would also help. I have the Haynes manual, but it doesn't cover transmission issues in great detail.

It may take a while, but I will working on this problem over the next few weeks as time permits and will report my progress.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
NoRicer
NoRicer will become famous soon enoughNoRicer will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Sorry Iam posting this on an old thread but for some reason iam not allowed to start a new thread..
anyways. I just got a 1999 SL2 that a used replacement engine was put in and it has never moved because it has an active code of P0742 TCC stuck open. (was ok before engine swap) Torque conv. is defininitly in lock-up as it kills the engine when put into any gear. I did ohms checks on all the solenoids 5.6 oms. tested with power all clicks the same, pulled the TCC solenoid and was able to blow through it with out power and with power applied it closes off as it should. tested the connector plate, no opens or resistance. Put it all back together and tried it and still same prob. TCC fuse power good, continuity check hot wire from fuse to trans pin connection, good. signal wire from trans. pin connection to pin on PCM all good. with engine running I applied direct ground from PCM ground TCC signal wire, got a little spark with the load of the solenoid and still the Torque conv. locked up and kills the engine.... I am afraid that its something major. My TAAT manual says this code is a Electronic fault and not mechanical.... Help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NoRicer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NoRicer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NoRicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRicer View Post
My TAAT manual says this code is a Electronic fault and not mechanical.... Help.
See if these FSM pgs. are helpful . . .
http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1295659009
http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1295659057

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
NoRicer

1999 SL2

Thank you Chazberry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NoRicer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Do an ohms test on the TCC solenoid for starters

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
NoRicer

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Do an ohms test on the TCC solenoid for starters
I did ohms checks on all the solenoids 5.6 ohms.
I ordered a new solenoid and will replace it, If that's not it.... torque conv. or input shaft seals???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!