SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL
Default L300 Timing Belt Change

What is a reasonable price to have this done , what is the change interval and is the water pump driven by the belt?
My ex wife has about 112K on hers now. SHould it be done very soon?

Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2clone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
beensmoked
beensmoked will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: L300 timing belt change

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2clone View Post
What is a reasonable price to have this done , what is the change interval and is the water pump driven by the belt?
yes it should be done..if u do a search here.....the people who have done them have seen both extremes when changing them at 100K. Either almost about to break or no wear at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beensmoked's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beensmoked reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beensmoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:

Labour should be 3-4 hours. Can't rememebr for sure at the moment.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Labour should be 3-4 hours. Can't rememebr for sure at the moment.
We charge 5.3 for the belt and water pump to be replaced.... And no, the water pump is serp belt driven, but it is mounted on the block under the timing cover, which is why they get replaced then, even if not leaking @ 100k.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

Thanks man. thats what i wanted to know. Since it's behind the cover I agree it gets replaced wether leaking or not. Cheap insurance.
I'll let her know tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
xtina221
xtina221 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My car is in the shop now, just got timing belt done..it cost me about $400.
This should be done at 100k miles according the mechanic. Cuz once this belt breaks, everything else cud break.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtina221's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtina221 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtina221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
mike1161
mike1161 will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Changed L300 timing belt, water pump, and main accessory belt myself this weekend! (mine is a 2001, and it just hit 100K miles). And yes, it ran perfectly afterwards. After finding out that the dealer wanted over $1100 to do these 3 things, I decided to do it myself. I had read some helpful posts on this forum, and have the Haynes manual also. It cost about $250 for the parts, so you save a bundle. Also, I didn’t use the specialty tool(s) – I think these are designed as a “mistake proofing” method to make it easier and faster for mechanics who do this job on a routine basis, but if you’re VERY careful, and check your work (and you’re pretty good with your hands) you can do it. But….I wouldn’t recommend this job for someone who isn’t mechanically inclined. I used vice grips to lock the camshaft wheels (someone else had posted some pics of this, and it worked perfectly, just don’t clamp them too hard, you don’t want to stress or bend the camshaft’s toothed wheel).
The water pump and main accessory belt are pretty easy, but you do have to be really careful changing out the timing belt, mainly in 2 key areas:
1) Make sure that before you remove the belt, that you get the crankshaft rotated so that you have cylinder #1 at TDC – you do this by slowly turning it until the timing marks on the camshaft wheels are lined up with the timing marks on the cover. Be careful to mark which of the 2 timing marks is on each camshaft wheel, since there are 2 (there are good illustrations of this in the Haynes manual). Note – I didn’t remove the plugs like they recommended, because I wanted to keep compression in the cylinders, which keeps the crankshaft locked in place really well. It makes a little harder to turn the crank, but you should get the TDC alignment done before you remove the crankshaft belt pulley, so you can use the pulley to turn the crankshaft.
2) There are 3 idlers/tensioners that the belt runs over, an upper, lower, and main. If you understand how they work and are adjusted, it makes the change out a lot easier – I couldn’t find any explanations of this anywhere, so thought I’d put it out here so it might help someone else. All of them pivot around an eccentric “cam” type mount, so rotating the tensioner changes the amount of tension, mainly on the section of the belt where that tensioner is located. Before loosening any of them, I made a mark with a permanent marker on each one, and then made a sketch on a paper to show the exact orientation of each one – i.e., upper tensioner mark at 2 o’clock, lower at 10 o’clock. You don’t have to worry about the main tensioner, since it has a small cam with built in alignment marks, and should be set at 3-4mm, as indicated in the Haynes book. You adjust it by turning the center portion with an Allen key, and then tighten the bolt to lock it.
I noticed that as I released tension on the belt over the front cylinders (3&4), the #3 camwheel actually moved about a half tooth (even with the vice grips installed), so be sure to observe the belt carefully as you remove it, so you can compensate when you put it back.
So, the key thing as you re-install the belt is to make sure that the belt is fairly tight between each pulley or toothed sprocket, when the upper and lower tensioners are set at their original position when you took them off. Then you finish setting the overall tension with the main tensioner, which has the built in alignment mark. Double check everything just to be sure. Hope this helps someone out there, and good luck!
P.S. I also made a PowerPoint file with the some pics that I found on various sites that were really helpful, you can email me if you would like a copy (the file was too big to include in this post)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike1161's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike1161 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
beensmoked
beensmoked will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

how did the belt look when u took it off? And how are ur driving habits?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beensmoked's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beensmoked reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beensmoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
LetsTalkLS2
LetsTalkLS2 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I did mine myself too. I waited to 120k out of ignorance. I used zip ties to lock the cams in place. I used them between holes in the cams in an X and also on the top and bottom of the X where there is a hole at each of the four ends of the X. It worked beautifully for me and the cams didn't budge at all. The other technique I used was to make a mark with a white paint pen on the cam and the old belt at a tooth near the TDC marks on all four cams and on the crank (I also noted the tensioner positions before loosening them) . Then I counted the number of teeth in the belt between each location. After I removed the belt, I transfered the marks to the new belt and replaced the belt. Then I made sure that I still had the correct number of teeth between locations. Worked perfectly and I have already put 60k on it since. My belt was in bad shape when I got to it, but my water pump was bad and I think that may have caused the belt to degrade. If you replace the timing belt, don't even think about not doing the water pump too. It is cheap and you have to remove the belt to replace anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LetsTalkLS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LetsTalkLS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LetsTalkLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #10
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

My ex's L300 is now at over 150K and she still hasn't done the belt yet!!
ANybody in or near the SYracuse NY area willing to do this? I trust people on this forum. I haven't met bed people here yet.
I OD NOT and WILL NOT do a timing belt. It's against EVERYTHING I stand for! STupid saab engine!
You know why we got our 1st S series? I NEVER have to work on them (other than my own) and they were chain driven. My S series is working on being the bets car I ever owned. Still not surpassing my 86 Pontiac 6000 with the Tech4 2.5. SLow as can be. BUt ungodly reliable.
Wanna change her belt and WP? I might even pay for it if reasonable. I owe her $$ from the divorce.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #11
super7ball
super7ball is on a distinguished road

I have a 99 SL with 128K. Is the single cam timing belt similar, should replace the waterpump also? I intend to do all the work myself and am pretty handy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to super7ball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help super7ball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
super7ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:11 PM   #12
Fastwrx
Fastwrx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7ball View Post
I have a 99 SL with 128K. Is the single cam timing belt similar, should replace the waterpump also? I intend to do all the work myself and am pretty handy.
you have a timing chain and the water pump is not anywhere near it (it's about 8 inches to the right of the harmonic balancer.) totally different animal!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fastwrx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fastwrx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fastwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:15 PM   #13
Fastwrx

Quote:
My ex's L300 is now at over 150K and she still hasn't done the belt yet!!
ANybody in or near the SYracuse NY area willing to do this? I trust people on this forum. I haven't met bed people here yet.
I OD NOT and WILL NOT do a timing belt. It's against EVERYTHING I stand for! STupid saab engine!
You know why we got our 1st S series? I NEVER have to work on them (other than my own) and they were chain driven. My S series is working on being the bets car I ever owned. Still not surpassing my 86 Pontiac 6000 with the Tech4 2.5. SLow as can be. BUt ungodly reliable.
Wanna change her belt and WP? I might even pay for it if reasonable. I owe her $$ from the divorce.
not a Saab engine, in this car 3.0 V6 is from OPEL of Europe. In Saturn training the 3.0 engine is a two day ordeal out of the total two week class. The redline Ion got the Saab motor (it's casted into the oil pan!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Fastwrx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #14
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

If you have a timing belt on an S series then there is a serious problem.
ANd why do you say the redline has a saab engine? From what I understand the ecotec is a global engine and is used in ALL GM brands now. It was ajoint collaberation between all of GMs branches to make one versatile 4 banger rather than have 23 different 4 bangers in it's corporate holdings. The engine may be saab derived but can't be completely saab. I still say it looks like a revised quad 4.
ANd why would the L series have an opel engine? It's just rebadged lower priced saab.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:37 PM   #15
frostypanic
frostypanic is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

According to http://www.wikipedia.com both the V6 and the eco-tec are Opel Designs. I have eco-tecs in both of my L's, great gas mileage, good power and the easiest oil change in the industry. My next car will have this engine also.

Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frostypanic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frostypanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frostypanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #16
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

I wish I could remember where I read it was a global joint venture on the engine to make a global use 4 banger. Somebody on here posted a link to this site.
SO far it seems to be leaps and bounds above the quad4 which it VERY closely resembles. The quad4 was fast. It also fell apart fast. Thermostats sucked to change. ANd the water pumps MEGA sucked to change.
It just seems really odd that they would rebadge a saab and stick an opel engine in it. Did the saab 9-3 ever get a 3.0 V6?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #17
dondono63
dondono63 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm also curious what your timing belt looked like after 100k miles and also how did you hold up the engine after removing the mount on the left side?

My 2003 L300 has 110,000 miles and still the original timing belt. I realize I am pushing my luck.

Don

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dondono63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dondono63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dondono63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #18
mike1161
mike1161 will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

My belt look worn, but not really bad at just over 100K - just some tiny hairline cracking; normal wear. I'm an engineer, so I'm sure there is some safety margin in there, maybe 5k-10k miles, but I would worry letting it go much more than that.
I just held up the engine by using a jack with a soft block of wood under the engine - it worked great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike1161's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike1161 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
Fastwrx

Quote:
I wish I could remember where I read it was a global joint venture on the engine to make a global use 4 banger. Somebody on here posted a link to this site.
SO far it seems to be leaps and bounds above the quad4 which it VERY closely resembles. The quad4 was fast. It also fell apart fast. Thermostats sucked to change. ANd the water pumps MEGA sucked to change.
It just seems really odd that they would rebadge a saab and stick an opel engine in it. Did the saab 9-3 ever get a 3.0 V6?
The engine in the redline ion is the same engine that was in the saab 9-3 viggen, instead of the turbo they bolted the supercharger on. I still think it would have been way better with the turbo....viggens are very fast stock! When you think "L" car think same as Cadillac Catera, same engine too. The L-car in Europe was called the Opel Vectra.......check it out you'll see the L-car was not a Saab variation. Although the Redline motor looks like the Ecotec it only displaces 2.0 liters and carries a different engine code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #20
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

Not trying to pick a fight here but can you show me proof the L series is an opel vectra? I know the catera was a rebadged vectra (or was it an opel astra?) and is rear drive. WHen I look at the shape similarities and the underpinnings of the saab 9-3 (I believe) and the L series there is NO difference at all. They are dead identical. I have been told and I think I read the saab and L are the same car. Just different engines. Biggest difference is the saabs EAT tires and the L series don't. Go figure. Or are the vectra and the saab the same car as well?
The ecotecs would all have different designations becasue they are different displacements right? 2.0 forced induction , 2.2 NA and 2.4 NA.
I didn't know the Viggen was a turbo 2.0 ecotec. I thought it was a V6 model. SO it the 2.0 ecotec in the viggen boosted more than in just a regular 2.0 turbo saab?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!