SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
kwguy
kwguy is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Drilled and slotted rotors

So I've read the info on cross drilled and/or slotted rotors. What I want to know is how hard is it to machine them when they become warped? Can the brake lathe at the local parts store handle them or do I need to go to a specialty shop?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kwguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kwguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Drilled and slotted rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwguy View Post
So I've read the info on cross drilled and/or slotted rotors. What I want to know is how hard is it to machine them when they become warped? Can the brake lathe at the local parts store handle them or do I need to go to a specialty shop?
just plain don't machine them. if they went through a set of brake pads without cracking consider urself lucky and buy ur next set of rotors before they fall apart on u.

if u machine them then ur really asking for trouble.

3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xupthree60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

^ uh yea okay....

anyway. If you get QUALITY slotted rotors, or drilled rotors, they will last you a good while under normal conditions. A lot of people, including myself, run powerslots, and they are a good product.

And no, they are not able to be turned / machined etc.

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

drilled rotors - FAQ's
http://www.drilledrotor.com/drilledpage.html

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Drilled and slotted rotors

For what it may be worth-

I have had rotors (and drums) machined in the past but stopped doing that long ago. No matter what they look like, if they are warped (pulsing brakes) I throw them away and buy new ones.

I have found that if they are warped in the first place (or have high/low wear spots) they will simply go bad again, and will do so very quickly. There is something in their makeup that causes them to be susceptable. Casting flaws perhaps?

Also for what it may be worth, I have also used ATE "power rotors" on another car. This type of rotor has a rather unique oval groove machined onto both sides of the rotor faces. The oval grooves are supposed to dissipate gasses and cool the pads while presenting a uniform wear surface to the pads.

I found these "power rotors" to be utterly useless after trying two sets and therefore have never used them again. They warped much faster and far more severely than regular rotors (car- 84 300SD MBZ front/rear). I went back to plain rotors (ATEs) with Pagid pads and was happy with them.

I don't believe they are quite the same as slotted rotors that the other folks mentioned though. You might want to try a good set of them.

The only experiences I have had with drilled rotors were on motorcycles, where they performed very well. I have not tried them on cars personally.

On my Saturn I use (gasp-choke) cheap rotors from Autozone. So far with about 4500 miles of heavy stop and go commute traffic on them they are working perfectly. Quiet, smooth and positive. Time will tell though. Ask me after 10,000 more miles.

Cheers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
xupthree60
Master Member

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArt16 View Post
^ uh yea okay....

anyway. If you get QUALITY slotted rotors, or drilled rotors, they will last you a good while under normal conditions. A lot of people, including myself, run powerslots, and they are a good product.

powerslots aren't drilled sherlock.

btw anyone else with greenstuff pads notice extreme rotor wear? i got brand new rotors when i installed the pads, and they are wearing even and everything... but the pads are about half gone and so are the rotors... on the rotors i have inside edge, aka piston side, starts out about 1/3 thicker than the outside edge, and now its thinner than the outside edge.

Last edited by xupthree60; 05-11-2007 at 01:42 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
Awesome link!

And this link address the "warped" rotor myth too.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Awesome link!

And this link address the "warped" rotor myth too.
The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, when i brake, I get the pulsing. I was told the rotors were warped, but I guess that's false. They have also started squeaking a little sometimes. I checked the pads not long ago and they had a little bit of life left in them. If new rotors are only a temporary fix, what should I do?

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
I've tried preaching that same link over the years and it seems like it always falls on deaf ears (or blind eyes as the case may be). So I pretty much gave up trying.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
POS
POS is on a distinguished road

2001 SL

Not proferring an opinion or taking a position. I dont race or autocross my 01 SL 5-sp. At 98,000 miles still have 3/16" left on the ORIGINAL factory front pads (according to Big O Tires, who wanted $300 to "do the front"). As the rotors seem AOK, I will go to the Stealer and have the factory pads replaced with same. Just basking in my 36 mpg average at the sight of all the 6,000lb SUVs blazing away at 80 mph in the fast lane. How long does their junk last ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to POS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help POS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
POS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
Khellendrose
Khellendrose is on a distinguished road

I have an 01 SC2 and when I got it I very quickly warped the rotors. I am not one to be hard on my breaks but I also didnt want to deal with it. So I called saturn motor sports and talked to then. I now have the Stillen drilled and sloted rotors on the front, and soon to have the same on the rear once I get all the harware for the conversion. from my understanding you should never try and use drilled or sloted rotors more then once and always make sure the pads are not a harder compound then the rotors. Also Sloted only helps with the initial bite on breaking to release the gasses that may build up between rotor and pad. The drilled is to allow air to flow thrue and help cool the rotors. Stillen reports about a 12ft stopping diference with just the front rotor upgrade. If you are wanting to help reduce break fade even more then get the steel braided break hosses. I hope this was some help to you all, all this is information i was told from saturn motor sports and other performance places and my own xp. You are able to get the big break kit also but you need rims no less then 17in. Reported imp on average is about 40ft from about 65 mph if my memory serves me right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Khellendrose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Khellendrose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Khellendrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArt16 View Post
^ uh yea okay....

I can't speak for all companies and what they state, but I know I've had drilled rotors turned before. As a matter of fact it was done by the dealer, as they had to turn them to within a certain spec before they could sell them.

I see no reason a slotted rotor couldn't be turned just as easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khellendrose View Post
The drilled is to allow air to flow thrue and help cool the rotors.
riiiiiiiiight

Quote:
If you are wanting to help reduce break fade even more then get the steel braided break hosses.
How would this help even more? Do you even know what causes brake fade?

Quote:
I hope this was some help to you all, all this is information i was told from saturn motor sports.....
Always leading the way in the Saturn community as always.......

Quote:
Reported imp on average is about 40ft from about 65 mph if my memory serves me right.
What's "imp"? Are you saying it took you only 40 ft to stop from 65 mph? Are you even aware of how short of a distance that actually is? Good tires play much more of a role in braking distance than brake pad/rotor style.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
SonnyD
Advanced Member
SonnyD is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

The local city we service buy our Slotted and drilled rotors for their Crown Vic Police cars....they have the rotors turned 1 time. I don't know of any failures on any that have been turned. And I would definitely know about it, and the machine shop doing it wouldn't do it if they were unsafe. I've seen him reject doing stuff before because of the possiblility of part failure.

Regards Sonny

I LOVE MY SATURN!!!!
99 SC1 "Marvin"
2007 Harley FLHX "Street Glide"
Fender 50's Strat...The Guitar That Put the "Rock" in Rock&Roll

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonnyD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonnyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SonnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #16
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwguy View Post
not sure. never tried it. my rotors wore out as soon as the pads did, so i just swapped everything.

unless you're going for a show car, avoid anything but solid rotors...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:12 PM   #17
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It's time to do my brakes, my rotors are warped and my pads are about gone. I'm planning on going with the cheap rotors, and greenstuff pads, I think. Are they good for street use? Also, can I get them at Schucks/Kragen or AZ?

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:12 AM   #18
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Drilled and slotted rotors

FWIW my cheap AZ rotors are well over 5K miles now and are still silky smooth. I am using "metallic" pads, also from AZ. They make a lot of brake dust, but what the heck?

So far the only time they have squeeled was when they and the rest of the car were filthy dirty after a pouring rain storm. I sprayed them down as part of the next car wash and they were quiet again. Go figure.

AZ is not my favorite parts dealer for various reasons, but I will buy things there when I take the old parts in with me to compare.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #19
xupthree60
Master Member

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

i really think it depends a lot on what pads u use.

if u use some high dust el cheapo pads then its not gonna tear up ur rotors as much as a high performance pad

im using green stuff on el cheapo rotors and my pads and my rotors are both about half worn down

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #20
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Drilled and slotted rotors

Yes, of course, softer pads = longer rotor life. I'll trade shorter pad life for longer rotor life any day of the week, just so long as they stop the car quickly, smoothly, and of course safely. It is a lot cheaper and faster to replace pads than rotors or pads + rotors.

Of course I do not autocross race my car either like a number of people on this forum apparently do. If I did I would be looking for a much higher performance combination and could accept greater rotor wear as part of the bargain.

So far the "cheap" Autozone pads and rotors have worked well for me on this car. I now have over 6k miles on them including some severe and prolonged downhill braking on I-80 west of Reno. They are still smooth, quiet and stop the car very well....knock on wood.

Cheers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!