SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
kevinthenerd
kevinthenerd is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Coolant Temp Gauge

I've only seen my car go above the halfway mark once or twice, and anybody who knows me on here knows that I drive the #@&% out of my car. I'm obviously doing something right in my choice of coolant or oil or something.

With that being said, though, looking at the lines on the coolant temp gauge really tells me nothing. (I'm an engineering student, and while I can figure out that anything in the red zone is bad, numbers mean a lot more to me.) What temperature corresponds with each of the lines on the dash gauge? In an approximate sense, what oil temperature can I expect at each of these temperatures?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevinthenerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevinthenerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevinthenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Coolant Temp Gauge

Look up SkyKing's posts on calibration of S-series temperature gauges, It may not apply but is relatively close otherwise try using a hand-held infrared pistol-grip temperature probe.You might find one from one of your departments.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #3
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

To be honest, there is no rhyme or reason to the gauge readings, since it starts registering temps as low as ~120dF but halfway is over 200.... as long as the fan works and you hear it come on, you are safe.....

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
kevinthenerd

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Being within a margin of safety isn't the point. I want to know the coolant temp so I can guess/calculate what the oil temp is so I can determine the fluid properties to figure out the real parasitic losses in the engine due to fluid viscosity. Eventually this will prove or disprove my theory that the engine oil never approaches its rated upper viscosity of 30 at 100C.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kevinthenerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2007, 01:07 AM   #5
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthenerd View Post
Being within a margin of safety isn't the point. I want to know the coolant temp so I can guess/calculate what the oil temp is so I can determine the fluid properties to figure out the real parasitic losses in the engine due to fluid viscosity. Eventually this will prove or disprove my theory that the engine oil never approaches its rated upper viscosity of 30 at 100C.
That was understood. But the little bit of space is a huge spectrum on the thermometer. IIRC, fan comes on at 205, thermostat opens at 180, so there you go.... hope it helps.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
kevinthenerd

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2 View Post
That was understood. But the little bit of space is a huge spectrum on the thermometer. IIRC, fan comes on at 205, thermostat opens at 180, so there you go.... hope it helps.
Hrmmm... max lubricity is somewhere around an oil temp of 220 IIRC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!