SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #41
SonnyD
Advanced Member
SonnyD is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Default Re: 200 miles, 80+mph, 40 mpg

I've gotten 44-45 on my 99 SC1 on the highway since it was new. 70-75 mph even with the A/C on. I've sometimes gotten higher, sometimes a little lower, but it doesn't vary much. I run 30psi in my tires front and rear, and I don't vary my speeds much and I keep abrupt throttle movement to a minimum. I also stay in 5th gear as much as possible. You can definitely up your mileage by your driving technique. I'm leaving on a 1 day trip in a couple of weeks, about 270 round trip, with about 30% in town. This will be my first trip since switching to Royal Purple Synthetic. The RP upped my mileage in town, so now I'll see what it does on the highway.
Regards Sonny

I LOVE MY SATURN!!!!
99 SC1 "Marvin"
2007 Harley FLHX "Street Glide"
Fender 50's Strat...The Guitar That Put the "Rock" in Rock&Roll

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonnyD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonnyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SonnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #42
philmcneal
philmcneal is on a distinguished road

Default honestly guys... its really possible if...

heh not that hard to get more than 45 mpg with a saturn if

a) your tires are as hard as they can get

b) your using the engine in its most efficent powerband (usually 30% of peak torque/horse)

c) your killing the engine when your not needing it, creating "infinate mpg" if you had a scoreboard for what mpg your getting, you will notice throwing it in N will drastically improve that score, getting better if your speed is higher. But hypermilers take it to the next step since that fuel you idle in N can potenially be used to propel you to a certain speed and then kill the engine again... hense pulse and glide technique used by the prius marathon guys. There fore improving your efficency as a whole since you defeated the crap inefficent system of the ICE!

d) you drive on abandon roads, in order to milk the mileage one must have A **** LOAD OF PATIENCE to coast at lower speeds. Higher speeds like 30-40 mph has wind resistance that won't allow you to coast as long as compared to 10-20 mph... if you haven't tried it takes so much longer for your speed to drop from 20-10 mph as opposed to 40 to 30 mph. The longer you coast, the better the score will be since you used gas (pulse) to get yourself up to that speed in the first place.

e) one times stoplights and plans their route to stop as less as possible... in theory it takes 5 times as much energy to get a car moving from dead stop as opposed to a car having some momentum like 5 mph.

f) you spend time with the best hypermilers in the world at doubleUdoubleUdoubleU.cleanmpg.com and he's American you guys should be rooting for him! At least he's not pooling his money into some Arab gas mining junkie.

g) ok so one kills the enigine... where does one gets the free energy to restart the engine all the time? Well for an engine to just turn on all you have to do is "spin" it... well how do we spin it? two ways

g1) using the 12 volt battery in combination of the starter

or

g2) what most hypermilers use, CLUTCH .

now the clutch part is the interesting part ... but you know what I don't want to tell too much... its really up to you if you want to change your gas bill, you can start by looking yourself in the mirror and going... i'm going to be a hypermiler today! I'm going to save gas by ALL ME!!!!

haha...what a joke.... all i see is people rushing to a red light... don't make me laugh... its going to take goverment incentives to get people moving in the right direction. Let alone the non believers claiming hypermiling is bad because its dangerous... which can be true ... if your not properly trained to take advantage of engine off coasting.

Its all in experience, and if your not willing to learn... then I hope you can save your pennies for a fuel efficent automobile if you wish to continue driving in the near future.

Peace.

Vap3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to philmcneal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help philmcneal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
philmcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #43
lovemysan
lovemysan is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyD View Post
I've gotten 44-45 on my 99 SC1 on the highway since it was new. 70-75 mph even with the A/C on. I've sometimes gotten higher, sometimes a little lower, but it doesn't vary much. I run 30psi in my tires front and rear, and I don't vary my speeds much and I keep abrupt throttle movement to a minimum. I also stay in 5th gear as much as possible. You can definitely up your mileage by your driving technique. I'm leaving on a 1 day trip in a couple of weeks, about 270 round trip, with about 30% in town. This will be my first trip since switching to Royal Purple Synthetic. The RP upped my mileage in town, so now I'll see what it does on the highway.
Regards Sonny

I've always thought that your numbers we're off. The 45mpg with a/c would be really hard. But since your so close and I don't want to have to see you prove it. I'm not calling you on it.

I'll stay in 5th gear till under 25mph. I find myself shifting at 1100 rpms in the first 3 gears. Have you started a gaslog yet on GS?

02 sl sport
5 spd
got 50mpg?

[url=http://www.gassavers.org][img]http://www.gassavers.org/gaslog/sig.php?id=127[/img][/url]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lovemysan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lovemysan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #44
79BlueSC
79BlueSC is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

2 things...

first wat is WAI and HAI?

And...what is a hypermiller?

Eric
1997 SL2 with 1999 SW2 motor and tranny
200K+ on body, 55K on drive train.

1979 Camaro
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/79BlueSC/1979%20Z28%20Clone/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 79BlueSC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 79BlueSC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
79BlueSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #45
SonnyD
Advanced Member
SonnyD is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
I've always thought that your numbers we're off. The 45mpg with a/c would be really hard. But since your so close and I don't want to have to see you prove it. I'm not calling you on it.

I'll stay in 5th gear till under 25mph. I find myself shifting at 1100 rpms in the first 3 gears. Have you started a gaslog yet on GS?
Well, this particular trip, I've been taking for 30 some years. It's for the most part pretty flat, only 1 big hill. Once I'm out of the City loop getting to the highway, which is about 8 miles, I can pretty much keep a steady cruise. I'm also not one of those people that really has to keep the A/C cranked on full all of the time. I keep my car in tip top state of tune, I always check my air filter, seldom run more then 1 year on my plugs, and inflate my tires to max when on the highway. I'm also almost 58 years old, and while I don't drive slow, I don't drive agressive, and I coast down to stops when it's possible.
Where are you in Kansas? We could still meet and chat. If your ever over in the Shawnee area, I worked at the NAPA store there part time...9:00-2:00 Monday thru Thursday. I'm always interested in meeting other Saturn members.

Regards Sonny

I LOVE MY SATURN!!!!
99 SC1 "Marvin"
2007 Harley FLHX "Street Glide"
Fender 50's Strat...The Guitar That Put the "Rock" in Rock&Roll

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonnyD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonnyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SonnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #46
lovemysan

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BlueSC View Post
2 things...

first wat is WAI and HAI?

And...what is a hypermiller?
WAI and HAI = warm air intake and hot air intake

A hypermiler is someone who averages 20% over combined epa.

02 sl sport
5 spd
got 50mpg?

[url=http://www.gassavers.org][img]http://www.gassavers.org/gaslog/sig.php?id=127[/img][/url]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lovemysan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:20 AM   #47
lovemysan

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyD View Post
Well, this particular trip, I've been taking for 30 some years. It's for the most part pretty flat, only 1 big hill. Once I'm out of the City loop getting to the highway, which is about 8 miles, I can pretty much keep a steady cruise. I'm also not one of those people that really has to keep the A/C cranked on full all of the time. I keep my car in tip top state of tune, I always check my air filter, seldom run more then 1 year on my plugs, and inflate my tires to max when on the highway. I'm also almost 58 years old, and while I don't drive slow, I don't drive agressive, and I coast down to stops when it's possible.
Where are you in Kansas? We could still meet and chat. If your ever over in the Shawnee area, I worked at the NAPA store there part time...9:00-2:00 Monday thru Thursday. I'm always interested in meeting other Saturn members.

Regards Sonny
My car with a/c on full, 90d temps, I get right at 40mpg at 65mph. I wonder if you have a different style AC compressor than mine. Sure we could meet sometime. I'll PM you at gassavers

02 sl sport
5 spd
got 50mpg?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #48
iRBigN00B
iRBigN00B is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

I still don't get the whole pulse and glide technique. I understand it for hyrbids, to keep under the speed at which the gasoline engine kicks in, but how does that work for a saturn? In the last 6 months I've decreased my consumption greatly and I'd appreciate other ways. What I won't do is turn my engine off down hills. Power steering and brakes are neccessary. Also I do value my clutch life 180k and still works perfectly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to iRBigN00B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help iRBigN00B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
iRBigN00B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #49
philmcneal
philmcneal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRBigN00B View Post
I still don't get the whole pulse and glide technique. I understand it for hyrbids, to keep under the speed at which the gasoline engine kicks in, but how does that work for a saturn? In the last 6 months I've decreased my consumption greatly and I'd appreciate other ways. What I won't do is turn my engine off down hills. Power steering and brakes are neccessary. Also I do value my clutch life 180k and still works perfectly.
if your not willing to turn off your engine, then enjoy the inefficencies of the ICE (internal combustion engine) while your gliding in Neutral.

restarting the engine with the clutch has equal wear and tear as shifting from 1st to 2nd assuming your foot work is on the target....

power steering and power brakes aren't nessary if your car is light, i have stopped a 2400 pound civic without power brakes countless times, and i was no where close to hitting the person in front of me (since hypermilers love to leave at least 5 car lengths + for anticipation)

pulse and glide works because, you use the engine where its most efficent to get up to speed, then killing the engine to reap the benifits... hense little gas (pulse) for a big majority of distance (glide with engine off)

instead of crusing at a constant speed, where the engine is most INFFICENT since your only using a FRACTIon of the engine to maintain your speed.... don't blame me blame the ICE. its a complete piece of **** system in the world with an effcency rating of 25% if your LUCKY TO OWN A PRIUS!!!!

its also one of the most popular modes of motion, just because its mass produced and too much money is pooled into the industry.

I'll be happy to answer any future questions, that's how I learned excuse the spelling but i'm lazy. Yes hypermilers are lazy too

just for the record, i drive with the cheapest insurance on the planet, so if an accident is MY FAULT, i'm in debt for life and i'm no where nEAR financially sound to pay debt... so i'm been hypermiling for at least 1 year + if anyone wants to argue about the safety factor... I will glady point out "unsafe" anytime when you riding with me.

Peace
Vap3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to philmcneal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help philmcneal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
philmcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #50
iRBigN00B
iRBigN00B is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Anything that changes your reaction time or braking distance is a danger factor. Mind you considering half the people out there aren't even paying attention one bit to their driving I guess it cancels itself out. Question, would turning it off have any wear and tear on your engine or transmission?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to iRBigN00B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help iRBigN00B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
iRBigN00B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:55 PM   #51
linuxdude
linuxdude is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default even with California gas, I get 39 MPG (97 SL2)

I've heard everyone say California gasoline (special anti pollution blend I guess) is bad for mileage, but I get a very consistent 39 MPG with my SL2. That is about 80% freeway, and 20% *very* step and go commute traffic. So I'm impressed.

The S-series are awesome little cars. Personally I think the styling is fairly timeless too (still looks good). Ah well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linuxdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linuxdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linuxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #52
lovemysan

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRBigN00B View Post
Anything that changes your reaction time or braking distance is a danger factor. Mind you considering half the people out there aren't even paying attention one bit to their driving I guess it cancels itself out. Question, would turning it off have any wear and tear on your engine or transmission?

I have a lower dogbone mount clicking. It may be related, it may be from the first owner of the car. Diamondlarry had 200k on his last SL1 and it munched the TChain and ruined a good engine. I'm sure it wears the clutch some. I generally do very gentle bump starts in 3rd gear or higher. They're generally imperceptible to my passengers.

And your right a hypermiler is a very focused driver. Because your constantly looking for a blockage that ruins a good glide. I don't P&G. In town I coast a good bit. I drive mostly off peak traffic times. I keep the car above 50mpg indicated by the SG2(which is childs play under 50mph), and the car turns in 45-52mpg in town.

02 sl sport
5 spd
got 50mpg?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #53
POS
POS is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
Default 38.6 MPG is more like it

Lovmysan, I called tilt because of certain basic, fundamental assumptions. Givens is more accurate. To "drive" on the highway, most of us have to go 65 mph. Not 48 or 50 mph or whatever you do to get your mileage gains. If you go 50 mph here on the fwy, you will cause a wreck or get shot at. You also said an AVERAGE of 38.6 mpg and "My car with a/c on full, 90d temps, I get right at 40mpg at 65mph. I" Thats about exactly what I said you'd get. I say stock a Saturn SL can't get 50 mpg at 65 mph, which is at or just just under the speed limit. Some of your mods are illegal, or wont pass smog. So, they're not valid everywhere and cannot be duplicated. They have not chopped off 400 lbs of weight or improved combustion efficiency or reduced significantly the cd. So the only variable is throttle or velocity or speed. You have to be VERY carefull in your measurements. On level ground, there is no variable at constant speed. The only help would be to remove the driver's throttle foot and replace it with a cruise control. Thats what the EPA test is. Its not hard to overfill / underfill and pick up an xtra gallon or so between different pumps. Different pumps shut off at different fuel levels depending on the vapor recovery system of the pump. The car may not be level, on and on. If you used 8 gallons, there's a 10 - 15% apparent gain in MPG right there. Thats why the EPA test is science and a a valid measuring yardstick, and your Mileage log is met with skeptisism. I still stand by my statement you cant get 50 mpg in a stock Saturn at 65 mph. Thats a 25% improvement and I say no way. Just like you cant slap on some bolt ons and get a 25% improvement in HP. Too prove anything, one would have to fill your tank completely, lock the cap, and refill carefully at the same pump when you bring it back. Taping stuff off and removing the front plate doesn't improve your CD by squat. Removing the air dam (?) is counterproductive to using a WAI or CAI or whatever plastic is under the hood. Running 45 psi in your tires isn't goood on your tread wear or your emergency braking. This brings back the mileage claims of the late 70's that no one could replicate. Finally, "hypermilers" comes out of the wood work. Your work is the equivalent of the " profesional driver on a closed course" disclaimer that was in small print under the ads for 48 mpg Datsuns in the 1970's. Ads later removed when no one else could duplicate the claims. Thats comparing apples and oranges. All Tradeoffs. Most of the time I drive pretending there is an egg under the gas pedal. Until there is a minvan at the stop light and there is an ensuing fight to the death to reach 50 mph first. Average city fwy, around 36 mpg. You can't hypermile drive and call it "driving" . Glad you have extended the horizons of what is possible with the car and fuel consumption. Next time I get a chance at over 300 miles of open hwy, I'll try to hold 55 mph and see if I get over 40 mpg. We are all brothers beneath the plastic.

EDit: the glide and pulse described above is not driving. You cant legally do it on a Federal highway. If you remove the power assist for your brakes, and rear end someone, you may not be able to afford the tab when the liability lawyers are done. Please dont drive behind me or my family.

Last edited by POS; 05-16-2007 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to POS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help POS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
POS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #54
lovemysan

2002 SL
Default Re: 38.6 MPG is more like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS View Post
Lovmysan, I called tilt because of certain basic, fundamental assumptions. Givens is more accurate. To "drive" on the highway, most of us have to go 65 mph. Not 48 or 50 mph or whatever you do to get your mileage gains. If you go 50 mph here on the fwy, you will cause a wreck or get shot at. You also said an AVERAGE of 38.6 mpg and "My car with a/c on full, 90d temps, I get right at 40mpg at 65mph. I" Thats about exactly what I said you'd get. I say stock a Saturn SL can't get 50 mpg at 65 mph, which is at or just just under the speed limit. Some of your mods are illegal, or wont pass smog. So, they're not valid everywhere and cannot be duplicated. They have not chopped off 400 lbs of weight or improved combustion efficiency or reduced significantly the cd. So the only variable is throttle or velocity or speed. You have to be VERY carefull in your easurements. On level ground, there is no variable at constant speed. The only help would be to remove the driver's throttle foot and replace it with a cruise control. Thats what the EPA test is. Its not hard to overfill / underfill and pick up an xtra gallon or so between different pumps. Different pumps shut off at different fuel levels depending on the vapor recovery system of the pump. The car may not be level, on and on. If you used 8 gallons, there's a 10 - 15% apparent gain in MPG right there. Thats why the EPA test is science and a a valid measuring yardstick, and your Mileage log is met with skeptisism. I still stand by my statement you cant get 50 mpg in a stock Saturn at 65 mph. Thats a 25% improvement and I say no way. Just like you cant slap on some bolt ons and get a 25% improvement in HP. Too prove anything, one would have to fill your tank completely, lock the cap, and refill carefully at the same pump when you bring it back. Taping stuff off and removing the front plate doesn't improve your CD by squat. Removing the air dam (?) is counterproductive to using a WAI or CAI or whatever plastic is under the hood. Running 45 psi in your tires isn't goood on your tread wear or your emergency braking. This brings back the mileage claims of the late 70's that no one could replicate. Finally, "hypermilers" comes out of the wood work. Your work is the equivalent of the " profesional driver on a closed course" disclaimer that was in small print under the ads for 48 mpg Datsuns in the 1970's. Ads later removed when no one else could duplicate the claims. Thats comparing apples and oranges. All Tradeoffs. Most of the time I drive pretending there is an egg under the gas pedal. Until there is a minvan at the stop light and there is an ensuing fight to the death to reach 50 mph first. Average city fwy, around 36 mpg. You can't hypermile drive and call it "driving" . Glad you have extended the horizons of what is possible with the car and fuel consumption. Next time I get a chance at over 300 miles of open hwy, I'll try to hold 55 mph and see if I get over 40 mpg. We are all brothers beneath the plastic.

EDit: the glide and pulse described above is not driving. You cant legally do it on a Federal highway. If you remove the power assist for your brakes, and rear end someone, you may not be able to afford the tab when the liability lawyers are done. Please dont drive behind me or my family.

I'll address subjects seperately in paragraphs

Measurement accuracy.
I use the same pump, face the same direction, 3 clicks then go to the nearest .25$. Except when I want to validate a long highway trip(which are the high 40s low 50s numbers in the gaslog). For those measurements I do full fills. I stuff rags around the filler neck to catch spillage, I've found a pump that doesn't spray a whole lot, point the nose of the car downhill, When gas comes up the filler neck I pump slowly to the top, at this point air is escaping out of the tank through the tank vent(its very slow). I bump the car vigorously side to side and up and down. I will fill, bump, wait, fill, bump, wait, fill, bump wait, etc. Until fuel stands in the filler neck. When I first did it I waited 2 minutes for it to drain down and it did not. This is what I call full.

My averages

The numbers I produce are consistant tank to tank only. My goal is to only use numbers that are accurately produced. If I didn't how would I know if my belly pan didn't hurt my mileage. When I make an extreme change I will usually use the full fill method to test it.

riving technique.

I do NOT pulse and glide. I drive between 55-70mph( I do not exceed the speed limit for moral reasons, I do not engine off on the highway(you will decel engine even going down hills) Your better using inclines to gain momentum for the next hill climb. I will accel to the legal speed limit and then hold. I tend to average 60mph. I do not drive at peak freeway times. I do not block traffic, I'm a safe driver. I will however take alternate routes for better fuel economy.

Tire pressure

I run michelin's. There rated at 44lbs psi. There good tires, far superior to the OEM firestones. The uneven treadwear is not measurable. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying that in a 2300lb car you'll be hard pressed to see it. I was a tread plate hand finisher for continental tire. So I know a good deal about tire tread tolerances.

Average's

My car has a lifetime average of 38.6mpg. Yes I get 40mpg at 65mph with the a/c on. My wife will tell we don't use it much. We drive alot in the evenings so its not nessecary. 65mph, me only in the car = 47mpg. Thats awfully close to 50mpg.

My car and mods

My car has aero mods and minor other things. I stress MINOR. My car has power steering, air, sunroof, tilt, cd, adjustable driver seat, cloth interior. Its not a stripped out base car. Its a lot more comfortable in everyday use. The belly pan and skirts weigh 90lbs. My car is heavier than stock.

Hypermilers , professionals?

I don't think so. More along the lines of an enthusiast. Anyone can drive like me, its simple discipline and I enjoy the challenge. Be observant, look at the hills and traffic lights around you, observe traffics patterns, etc. Its not rocket science. You said "you can't call hypermile driving, driving" we're not going to agree on this. Simply because there are plenty of hypermilers, there cars are gently used and last longer, they get to work on time, most are environmentally conscious. I could say a corvette driver is a racer and not driver(but thats not really true is is. Just because he wants to go fast doesn't mean he's not achieving the same thing I am). Do you see where I'm coming from, its not a fair statement. Sure most people just want to get in a go, while paying for the convience. Thats why most cars are automatics.

Engine off coasting

There's a lot of talk about the dangers of coasting. Lets get to the bottom of this. My saturn has plenty of brake boost after engine off. I rarely get the sponge pedal. If you feel the need you can install a Vacuum storage tank to increase vacuum capacity. Or a vacuum assist pump.
Have you ever heard a muscle car with a big cam, lumpy sounding engine. Those cars produce very little vacuum at idle. The brakes don't work real well at idle sometimes. There also big, old, heavy, and never really had good brakes anyway. Thats where the need for vacuum tanks and pumps come from. Look them up at summitracing.
As for the steering, I could unhook the PWR steering belt in my car and pass an emergency lane change test. My geo metro had much worse steering even power assisted, It had torque steer and then the snap oversteer pulling into traffic, it was awful.

I agree with you

I agree that a stock SL1 will not get 50mpg @65mph. Not happening. You can with careful driving get 50mpg if you drive with load between 55-60mph. Keep in mind it will take 10-11 hours of straight driving to get through a full tank.

ALso the SL2's are not going to get 50mpg. Its very hard with the stock SL2 transmission.

I agree that in some states its illegal to coast. I agree that it can be dangerous in certain situations. I agree that most drivers are not observant enough to hypermile. I agree the many automakers lied about the mileage of there vehicles. I have an add for an 82 s10 it claims 34mpg highway. Yeah! sure.

I'll be posting some videos soon of some hypermiling and misc other things. As well as pics.

Clint

02 sl sport
5 spd
got 50mpg?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #55
POS

2001 SL
Default At the pump

You sound more diligent than I assumed. My Bad. Good work on that !! What bellypan mod did you do ?? FWIW my plastic "chin spoiler" fell part way off. I re-attached, it fell off. I zip tied it on, its gone....... It appeared that the spoiler's function was to direct cool air into the engine compartment.....

What size tire wheel combination ?? Stock ?? Which Michelins ?? Have you tried thinner tires ??? Years ago Pirelli P3's were marked as superior MPG tires......
Synthetic oil ??
Lowering the car with aftermarket springs ??

If your tire size is different, you would have to use GPS to validate the mileage, or at least make it more accurate.

I purchased my used 2001 SL because I remembered they sold out, close out in 02' for $9999 here in CA. The only comparable 40/41 mpg Hwy car was a GeoPrizim/Toyota Corolla, and I couldn't find a clean one. And I wanted a "domestic" (sic) car. And I couldn't stand a civic. The new Civics are up to 2700 lbs and 140 hp, and the mpg is down to low/mid 30's.........

My "stunt driving" comments weren't directed at you, and were poorly worded. In other threads regarding performance mods, one even advocated removing air bags, etc to save weight !!! Ouch Baby, really Ouch !!

Love the plastic Fantastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to POS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help POS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #56
Zvolen
Zvolen is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default Re: At the pump

Quote:
You sound more diligent than I assumed. My Bad. Good work on that !! What bellypan mod did you do ?? FWIW my plastic "chin spoiler" fell part way off. I re-attached, it fell off. I zip tied it on, its gone....... It appeared that the spoiler's function was to direct cool air into the engine compartment.....

What size tire wheel combination ?? Stock ?? Which Michelins ?? Have you tried thinner tires ??? Years ago Pirelli P3's were marked as superior MPG tires......
Synthetic oil ??
Lowering the car with aftermarket springs ??

If your tire size is different, you would have to use GPS to validate the mileage, or at least make it more accurate.

I purchased my used 2001 SL because I remembered they sold out, close out in 02' for $9999 here in CA. The only comparable 40/41 mpg Hwy car was a GeoPrizim/Toyota Corolla, and I couldn't find a clean one. And I wanted a "domestic" (sic) car. And I couldn't stand a civic. The new Civics are up to 2700 lbs and 140 hp, and the mpg is down to low/mid 30's.........

My "stunt driving" comments weren't directed at you, and were poorly worded. In other threads regarding performance mods, one even advocated removing air bags, etc to save weight !!! Ouch Baby, really Ouch !!

Love the plastic Fantastic
You sound a lot more reserved now that you are faced with the facts and know that it can be done, interesting...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zvolen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zvolen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zvolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #57
lovemysan

2002 SL

I use mobil one for oil and trans oil.

Michilen harmony's in stock size. They are actually 1% oversize in diameter.

I checked the odometer accuracy using the mile marker method several different times. Over a hundred miles. It was always indicated less than actual traveled miles

02 sl sport
5 spd
got 50mpg?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:41 AM   #58
POS

2001 SL
Default zvolen

Late to the dance. It depends on what your definition of "it" is. Sounds Clintonesque, eh ??

Last edited by POS; 05-17-2007 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: Smoke a cigar !!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to POS's Reputation
Old 05-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #59
dragon370
dragon370 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

oil? i use only Castrol or Q full synthetic (whatever is cheaper at the time, usually castrol)

Brendan
1997 SC1- "Stacy" dk green, 5spd, Motegi, Kuhmo tires

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dragon370's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dragon370 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #60
Zvolen
Zvolen is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default Re: zvolen

Quote:
Late to the dance. It depends on what your definition of "it" is. Sounds Clintonesque, eh ??
No, I posted earlier but it didn't matter as you were set in your ways from the beginning. Lovemysan just showed you what "IT" is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zvolen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zvolen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zvolen is offline   Reply With Quote